Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Amazing that you would equate having surgery to fix a problem, or taking pain killers for pain.... with the deliberate act of hastening someones death.
The only extreme I read in your post is extreme nonsense.
I'm not arguing...just stating fact....something you obviously refuse to acknowledge.

I can equate them because of your slippery slope argument.

If we applied slippery slope paranoia to everything we do in life, progress would come to a stand still.

"But, but, but.....THIS could happen and THAT could happen.....so we better not do anything at all."

So yea, you better not get that surgery to improve the quality of your life, because, there is always that miniscule chance that it could KILL you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Ok Annie...hope that works for you!
course the thread IS about the so called "right" to die.
I can't read ANYTHING in your lat post that relates to that.

"Slippery slope paranoia" must be your area of expertise, as I've never heard of it.

And it has NOTHING to do with killing of elderly or sick , or disabled patients...something YOU may desire, but something I could never except because of the innocent and uninformed, and unwilling patients who would die because of it.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This doesn't concern me. Innocent people will always die because everyone dies.
Right...everyone dies.
Would you care if it was YOU...or your mother??? Would you care if you went for a visit and they'd already"euthanized" her...without yours or hers permission???
Would that concern you????
Would You sacrifice these innocent people's lives so that you could be "legally" killed when you want to be?

Old 04-16-2017, 02:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
PureHuman, I must say that you are certainly passionate about your beliefs. That's always a good thing, imho. It creates intelligent discourse and debate, which should occur anytime a sweeping decision such as this is mandated.

I believe that the few states that allow it, have many hoops to jump through, so it may not be the nightmare that you
perceive it could turn into, should it be mandated country-wide.

I do know that the medical industry makes a fortune out of keeping people alive until the end of time, simply so they can bilk medicare for billions. It's in their interest to keep everyone 6 feet above ground-for as long as they can.

Whatever happened to compassion for those in terminal pain? We dope them up on poisons/drugs, and put them in a state to whereas they can't feel anything anymore, and probably still have the mind to silently wish they could just exit-stage left.

We have more compassion for our pets than we do our human citizens, as far as I can see.

edit: I watched my Father in Law slowly deteriorate in front of my eyes, for many years. He lost his mind. This man was a Computer Scientist, with a genius I.Q., in his glory days. He even invented some of the parts that you and I use today to talk on the internet.

To see this man lose his mental capacity, and then the use of his bowels, was gut-wrenching for my wife (he was her father) She could only remember the genius who used to help her with her math and science classes.
And him---he was one of those people that wanted to live forever. Should he have that right? Yes. But what it does to the otherwise living is also horrifying.
To watch him slowly waste away like that changed my wife's mind on her own demise of life. She's already signed papers.

2nd edit: I will tell you how incompassionate they were for my Father in Law. It was merely 2 whole days before he died, that they finally decided he could have a drop of morphine for his pain. He suffered bedridden for almost 2 years---and that's how he was treated. We loved his Hospice Nurse, but she could only argue for it, not authorize it. He needed it much sooner than this. She was very respectful. The Doctor whom under she worked, was not.

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-16-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Right...everyone dies.
Would you care if it was YOU...or your mother??? Would you care if you went for a visit and they'd already"euthanized" her...without yours or hers permission???
Would that concern you????
No.

Quote:
Would You sacrifice these innocent people's lives so that you could be "legally" killed when you want to be?
Yes.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Some people believe in life no matter what. Age, condition, or personal views does not matter. If someone can be saved they should be? Against their will?

My Uncle walked out of a hospital at 69 because he didn't want surgery which would save his life but leave him an invalid. He died 6 months later.

My Mom wrote in her Living Will at 74, "I do not wish to become a Vegetable so Science can see how long they can keep my body alive."

I suppose most people posting here have never experienced starvation or dehydration. Yes, in the beginning stages both are very painful, but then there comes a euphoria where you feel nothing, and just want to sleep. I have experienced both. No drugs necessary because you feel no pain. Your body just shuts down of its own accord. If I had a choice of death, that would be preferable to me in lieu of being in some hospital bed with wires, monitors, and drugs prolonging the inevitable, raking in $$$$ for them.

It HAS to be a choice for all adults.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:26 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Some people believe in life no matter what. Age, condition, or personal views does not matter. If someone can be saved they should be? Against their will?

My Uncle walked out of a hospital at 69 because he didn't want surgery which would save his life but leave him an invalid. He died 6 months later.

My Mom wrote in her Living Will at 74, "I do not wish to become a Vegetable so Science can see how long they can keep my body alive."

I suppose most people posting here have never experienced starvation or dehydration. Yes, in the beginning stages both are very painful, but then there comes a euphoria where you feel nothing, and just want to sleep. I have experienced both. No drugs necessary because you feel no pain. Your body just shuts down of its own accord. If I had a choice of death, that would be preferable to me in lieu of being in some hospital bed with wires, monitors, and drugs prolonging the inevitable, raking in $$$$ for them.

It HAS to be a choice for all adults.
The question we keep asking over and over again is: Why is it not a choice? I understand that religious beliefs have made this a taboo subject; but we have grown and it is time for some form of debate on this issue. We will all die; there is no putting off the inevitable. In the news was the oldest person to die at 117; but she still died.

The "Living Will" is a great idea; it is just some of us want the help available to us if we so desire it.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No.

Yes.
Your answers are the reason why so many people are against legal murder.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The question we keep asking over and over again is: Why is it not a choice? I understand that religious beliefs have made this a taboo subject; but we have grown and it is time for some form of debate on this issue. We will all die; there is no putting off the inevitable. In the news was the oldest person to die at 117; but she still died.

The "Living Will" is a great idea; it is just some of us want the help available to us if we so desire it.
You're right...death IS inevitable,,,and knowing that, we can prepare ourselves for it.
If we feel we may want a quick exit. WE must prepare ourselves (discuss with family or friends)....not give permission to a doctor or healthcare professional to do it for us.
Help IS available if really desired, unless one waits too long and ends up in a facility...only then (depending on the facility) will one need to fight for that "right"...though sometimes they'll help you along without telling you.
It should never be a "choice" to allow a doctor to kill you.
Would that mean that an ailing ageing grandma, who's signed over power of medical attorney to a relative (years ago) could be euthanized (killed) because a relative (perhaps tired of waiting for their inheritance) says her time has come????
Or an elder who's proving to be too much for the family to care for???who'd go along with it because she/he knows that, and feels she/he's become a burden,,not because she really wants to die?
Will we become like Belgium and start executing our children as well?

Last edited by purehuman; 04-21-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

Euthanasia Prevention Coalition Euthanasia Prevention Coalition: Mild stroke led to mother's forced death by dehydration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness