Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 136,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteelolo View Post
I've had my fifths disease for over 3 months... on prednisone my joints finally felt better, then 3 weeks off the prednisone the pain has come back with a vengeance! Anyone else experience this?
Oh Yeah! During the time of greatest inflammation, I developed De Quervain's and needed a Cortisone shot in my hand. Ahhhhhh! I was pain free for 10 days. I also got into poison ivy and needed Prednisone. It was Magic!! That is, until about 10 days after the last dose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,803 times
Wow! My kids got fifths a few weeks ago. My bout started one night i had uncontrollable chills and a low grade fever. Went away and a week later rash and pow! Intense joint pain. The most unbearable being at night in my wrists and fingers. Fingers fall asleep constantly and become painful like there is no blood flow. Only thing that helps are 800 mg of advil but only for two hours, ice packs and standing up and walking. This means no sleep however...i need sleep. Just typing this hurts. I cant even sit. I have to stand and walk and swing my arms.....It literally feels worse than when i broke my wrist before...AWFUL! It seems to come and go in intensity, but nighttime it is worse and more consistent. I am only in day two of the bad finger pain, but i cannot imagine doing this for months....My joints are popping and snapping a lot (makes them feel better for a couple of seconds) My wife has this also, but with an intense headache that won't go away. The only pain i have had that i can say is similar is a bout of gout i had in my ankles and feet last year. That was nothing compared to this tho. I could at least sleep. The pain wakes me up and i cannot do anything but get out of bed and pace and swing my arms until my fingers start to feel better. Cant even roll my wrists as they are too painful to move about. What i read says rest...hah! How can you rest if you are woken up every couple of hours in intense agony? I would not wish this on anyone. I hope you all get well sooner rather than later!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,782 times
I just got the results of my bloodwork a couple of days ago. Last week was tough...started with an ITCHY rash all over then two days later the fever and horrible pain in my wrist and neck. My daughter was worried about meningitis. I went to the dr on day 4 and told her of all my symptoms. I told her alot of children at my work have had fifth's, but I didn't think adults could get it...SURPRISE! I have worked in elementary schools for the last 34 years and have never heard of adults getting fifths. I didn't realize this illness could be SO horrible. Anyway the dr said it had just come to her attention that adults could contract parvo so... She tested me for lyme and parvo and guess what...I have fifth's. Before we knew what the results were she put me on a Medrol pack (prednisone) for 6 days. It helped with the itch. I thought I was starting to feel better; however...This is week two ....should be feeling better right? Nope. No more rash...unless I go out in the sun. But now I am experiencing lightheadedness every morning... I feel like I'm going to pass out just trying to take a shower. I can't sleep at night with the pain in my joints...wrists, fingers, toes, hips...it's no fun! I'm nauseous most of the time and have absolutely no energy. I just started my summer vacation and after reading the posts...I'm grateful that I don't have to try to go to work for the next few weeks. Hopefully this will get better soon. I wonder if anyone else had the lightheadedness especially in the morning and this feeling of extreme tiredness. Should I keep calling the dr back? She said I had to just take it easy and treat the symptoms.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM

17 posts, read 136,794 times
"I have worked in elementary schools for the last 34 years and have never heard of adults getting fifths."

I taught in elementary schools for 12 years, but contracted fifth disease while working at a university. Of course, it was by way of the husband of an elementary teacher.

"Should I keep calling the dr back? She said I had to just take it easy and treat the symptoms."

Absolutely! You should keep going to the doctor(s). You should go until someone prescribes meds that help you through the pain. I could handle most of the daily pain and swelling (and it was HORRIBLE), but I refused to accept the pain at night that kept me from sleeping.

If I had to do it over (God Forbid), I would find a doctor who would prescribe prednisone in the lowest possible dose that relieved the pain, but didn't keep you awake and make you feel like Super Woman.

I am three years past the onset of fifths, but the memory of the nightly shoulder pain is still very real.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,625 times
Hi, everyone! I got fifths disease in April when it was going around my son's kindergarten class (he was miserable so of course I let him sleep with me). I had no idea how bad this is in adults! I felt like I had arthritis! Since then, it seems like I can't get over it.

The rash and severe pain went away after a couple of weeks, but I have not been myself since then. I wake up with sore feet every morning and I never used to. Now my hands and feet are hurting for the last couple of days (a friend said this would happen with stress or exhaustion). My hormones have definitely been all over the place and my husband thinks this may be related since I was fine before April. I am always tired! I don't know, thinking I should see a doctor but sounds like this is normal. Maybe there is something else that started with the Parvo?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM

523 posts, read 3,796,952 times
i started feeling unwell just under 3 months ago, in a way that was difficult to put my finger on...lethargy, i suppose, which just kept getting worse. no rash, no apparent high fever, no joint pain, just a worsening feeling of exhaustion that went on for weeks.

im young(ish) and otherwise totally fit & healthy, but the length of duration of the symptoms, and the fact that with each passing week i felt worse, not better, (and my wife's concern) drove me to the doctor. oh, and as i spent a lot of time outdoors (NJ) and have a history of tick exposure, i did think i might have lyme.

anyway, long story short, after seeing 3 doctors, 1 month of unsuccessful antibotic treatment, and about 20 vials of blood later, they came up with the diagnosis of parvo...i felt like a bit of a fraud, really, to have been concerned by what is normally such a trival illness. my parvo IgG levels were high, but my IgM levels were through the roof, tending to indicate recent/current infection.

so im writing this 3 months since starting to feel unwell. my main symptom has been pretty major fatigue (not to the point of having needed to take any time off work), low grade fever (my temperature has been between 99-100 for the entire 3 months, which i gather is fairly unusual), and some muscle aching, especially in my legs, making me feel like im wading through water when im walking.

all other tests came back negative.

to be honest, from my point of view, the disease itself hasnt been the concern...its just that the symptoms (in my case, 3 months history of low grade fever and fatigue) can be symptoms associated with something much, much more serious, and the diagnosis is a relief, if only to put my mind at rest.

oh, and interestingly, in the last few days i just came down with a stinking cold...and after 3 days of the usual sore throat, headache, etc, i now feel that not only might i be clearing the cold, but the underlying temperature and tiredness from the parvo feels like it might have gone too. perhaps the cold gave my immune system the kick in the backside it needed!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,319 times
Hey! I'm sorry to hear this!!! I got it when I was 12 and I am 18 and still suffer with it, so it don't just last a few days and/or months, my doctor told me that I would have it for the rest of my life and all he gave me was ibuprofen for the pain !!!! When I first got it, my feel started hurting and then a week later I woke up one morning and couldn't walk because the pain was so bad!!!! It's horrible, I know what your dealing with my wrist and fingers are hurting to, I think it travels becasue when I first had it nothing was hurting but my feet and now as the years have passed my back and my wrists and fingers are killing me!!!! I hope you get to feeling better!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 30,942 times
Hi,

I posted here about three years ago talking about my experience with Fifths. (needless to say NOT good!) I just heard that Fifths is going around my grandkids nursery school. So my question is, after such a terrible bout of it, could I get it again?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nance619 View Post
Hi,

I posted here about three years ago talking about my experience with Fifths. (needless to say NOT good!) I just heard that Fifths is going around my grandkids nursery school. So my question is, after such a terrible bout of it, could I get it again?
Assuming that you have no medical condition which impairs your immune system, you should have lifelong immunity from the previous infection.

See here:

CDC - Parvovirus: B19

Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,182 times
43 y/o female mother of six, had what I thought was the flu low grade fever, achy body and fatigue. In bed about a week. Better and two days later rash developed. thought it was from being in sun first time all winter. Kids had rash too. Took mom to hospital she had high fever, achy joints and rash. They said virus. Woke up with swollen joints looked like elephant woman. Began to think we all had same virus goggled it. Pretty sure it was fifths disease. Called in to cover my sunday school class and found out it was going around. Went to Doctor on MOnday (rash gone) said was fifth's disease and gave me a script for hydrocodne. Took with advil or aleve. Helps but can't function. MAkes me sleepy only can't sleep because pains too bad. Tried hot baths and icy Hot. Trying camamile teas, will try Vit D and if not better will ask for prednisone next week. (day 10 of joint pain, starting 4th week of virus) In pain, tired and depressed. Can't function, not getting sleep behind on work and neglecting family. Looking for homeopathic remedys that work. GOD please make this go away! Thanks for listening and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness