Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 8,940 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share my own experience for others. I ended up diagnosing this myself after reading these posts from others in addition to info on the CDC website on the topic. I'm a 46 yr. old male.

I contracted this virus from my daughter back in the last week of January, and here it is nearing May, and I'm still dealing with the aftereffects! My daughter's brush with it was mild, only a light rash on her cheeks and mild cold symptoms. At the time, we thought she just got too much sun at school. Her cold symptoms were more like spring allergies, very light. The whole thing lasted a few days.

But then I came down with worse flu-like symptoms - mild sore throat, fatigue, low grade fever. After a few days, then came a mild rash - very small red dots close together on my arms and legs mostly. The fatigue and fever stayed with me and were consistent for several days. I was low on energy, kind of depressed, not in the mood to do anything, let alone work. About 10 days into it, I woke up one morning with the most painful joints and swelling I've ever had. Most of my joints were affected - hands, wrists, elbows, knees and feet. I had overall muscle soreness too. The fatigue continued. The pain responded well to ibuprofen. This painful joint phase lasted about a week. By the third week of this virus, the extreme pain in my joints subsided and became just milder joint pain. Gradually over the following weeks, the joint pain subsided substantially.

In the third week, not knowing what I was suffering from, my doctor ordered a CBC blood test that showed anemia. My Hct was 37.5, Hgb 12.9, RBC 3.9. These were dramatically lower than what they were just a month before. Now, three months later, I still suffer from what has developed into a chronic anemia. My most recent blood count shows the very same blood counts. I also still have very mild joint discomfort in my hands and in my forearm muscles. And of course the anemia affects my overall energy level.

Has anyone else experienced anemia from Fifth Disease? I do not have any other complicating issues that I've read about that others suffer from, like vitamin/iron deficiency, AIDS, sickle-cell, etc. I can't find literature on it either. I'm just wondering how much longer before the anemia will correct. My doctor tells me to wait another month and check blood again. She also wants me to get another parvovirus b19 test.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 8,879 times
Default Is this Fifth's Disease?

I broke out in an itchy rash, starting last night. It started on one of my knees and thought I had flee bites from my cat. By this AM it was all over my legs, below my knees and on the back of my arms above my elbows. Now it is spreading down my forearms. Again, it looks like I've been eaten alive by fleas! - - little, uneven, bumpy bite-looking pimple rash. No fever, but my grandson had Fifths a few days ago. I remember my daughter having it when she was little, but I never got it back then.
Another curious symptom is that my Right elbow is killing me - can't straighten it. Someone said it was Tennis elbow from too much Computer! Now wondering if it's part of this virus. I've had it for about 2 weeks.
I went to Urgent Care today and saw a PA, who did not mention Fifth's. What do all you armchair docs think?
Thanks! Carol

Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I had Lymes Disease and my Naturopath prescribed Lomatium Dissectum which is wild black carrot extract -- a very powerful herbal anti-viral. I had the bulls-eye reaction and started taking it (the brand was LDM-100) as soon as I started feeling weak and the next day felt almost 100% recovered. I kept taking it for 2 weeks and haven't had a problem since. If you've been sick for a while It might take longer. I would see a Naturopath to help with suggestions. One thing is for sure, conventional medicine doesn't have anything to really help. All they will do is drain your pocket book while you continue to feel sick.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
When I had it, I had a lacy rash on my thighs and arms. I don't remember it being itchy, but I just googled it and it can be itchy. The joint pain, though, was what did me in. Hands, wrists, elbows, feet ankles and knees. THere is an antibody test. By the time they figured out what I had had, I was mostly over it (though it was a several-week long very uncomfortable disease.)

Hope you're feeling better soon1

Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,807 times
A few days ago my joints started to hurt and I had this strange webbed rash on my legs and arms. My mom had the same thing too the week before and her doctor suggested it was arthritis. My mom told him I was having similar symptoms and he suggested that it was genetic. I called bs since I am only 20 years old, what are the chances of me having arthritis. Well I wasn't too sure and after doing some gogleing I found out about fifths disease. I figured I would let it pass as it says it shouldn't last too long but the pain was unbearable!! So I went into the doctor (who is also my mom's doctor) and sure enough he believes I have it! As does my mom. He treated my mom and her joint pain went away within the hour. I just got back and I already feel 100 times better. He gave me a shot of toradol in my thigh and it has seemed to help tremendously. Now I'm on my way to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription for prednisone which I'm hoping will take all of the pains away. I've been so upset thinking about not being able to go back to work (I work with deaf kids so being able to move my fingers and wrists without pain is a very important factor) and I'm so glad already feel like I have more mobility in my fingers. I read through your guys posts which is what really convinced me to go to the dr so I just wanted to let you know how my visit went and what he was able to give me that helped.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyy View Post
A few days ago my joints started to hurt and I had this strange webbed rash on my legs and arms. My mom had the same thing too the week before and her doctor suggested it was arthritis. My mom told him I was having similar symptoms and he suggested that it was genetic. I called bs since I am only 20 years old, what are the chances of me having arthritis. Well I wasn't too sure and after doing some gogleing I found out about fifths disease. I figured I would let it pass as it says it shouldn't last too long but the pain was unbearable!! So I went into the doctor (who is also my mom's doctor) and sure enough he believes I have it! As does my mom. He treated my mom and her joint pain went away within the hour. I just got back and I already feel 100 times better. He gave me a shot of toradol in my thigh and it has seemed to help tremendously. Now I'm on my way to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription for prednisone which I'm hoping will take all of the pains away. I've been so upset thinking about not being able to go back to work (I work with deaf kids so being able to move my fingers and wrists without pain is a very important factor) and I'm so glad already feel like I have more mobility in my fingers. I read through your guys posts which is what really convinced me to go to the dr so I just wanted to let you know how my visit went and what he was able to give me that helped.
from how you described it, it sounded exactly like what I had (and I tested positive with an antibody blood test.) I'm glad both you and your mom have gotten some relief. It is a very painful disease that seems to be misdiagnosed a lot (I was already over it by the time I was tested for 5th's disease, but the antibodies showed a recent infection.)

Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I only clicked on this thread because a friends daughter has Fifths (18 years old). Now I'm questioning what is going on with me. Went to the doctor the other day and they are doing all kinds of blood work and w/ my family history (brain tumor in sister) they are doing an MRI.
Symptoms that I've had off and on for the last month or so:
Fatigue. I could literally on some days sleep all day. I usually stay up really late at night but not anymore. I'm OUT early and don't want to get up in the mornings. I literally, get up and go wake up my daughter, get her breakfast and then go set my alarm and go back to be to get up in time to take her to school. I've come back home and gone back to bed and passed out and woke up in time to get showered and go pick her up....... NOT GOOD! But then some times I just can not get comfortable at all...... at all!

Pins and Needles feeling on my entire right side and face. I've had an allergic reaction to a med before and it feels the same way around my mouth that it did then. It's almost like a coming off of novicane from the dentist feel. My tongue even gets numb and tingly and a funky taste will come and go. I'll get the itchy pins and needles feeling but no rash. My arms and legs, especially my leg(s) will feel like they "go to sleep" all the time. My toes, especially my big toe, is in another time zone. My face feels itchy but no rash but it has that tingling feel.

Pain. It will be isolated in different areas at different times. The other day it was my fingers. On Sunday it was in my thigh after I'd been driving for 30 minutes straight on the interstate. One night it woke me up in the middle of the night with sharp pains in my forearm, deep in my forearm. They would come and go but it was so strong it woke me up and every time it happened it was so strong it would take my breathe away. Went on for about an hour and half. My elbow hurts almost all the time. I can not write, not kidding, I can't even write out one check and forget the forms at the doctor or the forms coming home from school..... Knee is killing me. Had an intense pain shooting in my back earlier today that went away after about 20 minutes. Stiff to sit down for longer than 15 minutes. Sitting at school band concerts and awards is killing me right now......... I have to leave as soon as my kid(s) are done.

Speech. This is very recent as in the last 2 weeks. I've noticed that I stutter some. Never in my life have I had this issue.

Heat is not fun. It really bothers me BAD! This is not usually the case. I've got asthma and it's usually cold damp weather that gets me. Heat and humidity and I'm dying. I have not noticed a rash unless I get over heated.

I did not even think about Fifths but the pain and such all are getting me worried about it now......... hmm, might call my doctor back in the morning.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I only clicked on this thread because a friends daughter has Fifths (18 years old). Now I'm questioning what is going on with me. Went to the doctor the other day and they are doing all kinds of blood work and w/ my family history (brain tumor in sister) they are doing an MRI.
Symptoms that I've had off and on for the last month or so:
Fatigue. I could literally on some days sleep all day. I usually stay up really late at night but not anymore. I'm OUT early and don't want to get up in the mornings. I literally, get up and go wake up my daughter, get her breakfast and then go set my alarm and go back to be to get up in time to take her to school. I've come back home and gone back to bed and passed out and woke up in time to get showered and go pick her up....... NOT GOOD! But then some times I just can not get comfortable at all...... at all!

Pins and Needles feeling on my entire right side and face. I've had an allergic reaction to a med before and it feels the same way around my mouth that it did then. It's almost like a coming off of novicane from the dentist feel. My tongue even gets numb and tingly and a funky taste will come and go. I'll get the itchy pins and needles feeling but no rash. My arms and legs, especially my leg(s) will feel like they "go to sleep" all the time. My toes, especially my big toe, is in another time zone. My face feels itchy but no rash but it has that tingling feel.

Pain. It will be isolated in different areas at different times. The other day it was my fingers. On Sunday it was in my thigh after I'd been driving for 30 minutes straight on the interstate. One night it woke me up in the middle of the night with sharp pains in my forearm, deep in my forearm. They would come and go but it was so strong it woke me up and every time it happened it was so strong it would take my breathe away. Went on for about an hour and half. My elbow hurts almost all the time. I can not write, not kidding, I can't even write out one check and forget the forms at the doctor or the forms coming home from school..... Knee is killing me. Had an intense pain shooting in my back earlier today that went away after about 20 minutes. Stiff to sit down for longer than 15 minutes. Sitting at school band concerts and awards is killing me right now......... I have to leave as soon as my kid(s) are done.

Speech. This is very recent as in the last 2 weeks. I've noticed that I stutter some. Never in my life have I had this issue.

Heat is not fun. It really bothers me BAD! This is not usually the case. I've got asthma and it's usually cold damp weather that gets me. Heat and humidity and I'm dying. I have not noticed a rash unless I get over heated.

I did not even think about Fifths but the pain and such all are getting me worried about it now......... hmm, might call my doctor back in the morning.
Have you been exposed to any ticks? Your doctor might want to consider Lyme disease.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you been exposed to any ticks? Your doctor might want to consider Lyme disease.
I agree - this sounds less like Fifth's and more like Lyme disease. Even if you don't think you've had a tick on you or you haven't seen a bullseye rash (typical of Lyme's,) you should be checked out. Lyme's can cause a huge array of symptoms. I'm not a doctor, or even in the medical profession, though, so I don't really have any answer. I just hope they figure out what's wrong with you so you can feel better.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
If the tick bite was on your head, under your hair, you would never have been able to see the rash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness