Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

I had Fifth Disease in 1986, when I was 32... I had the usual adult symptoms, swollen joints - fingers, wrists, knees, ankles, etc. - fever, headache and a lacy rash on both legs (but only from my ankles to my knees). My doctor didn't diagnose it correctly, and gave me two rounds of antibiotics, and then many weeks of cortisone shots for the severe arthritis-like pain and swelling. It took almost 4 years for the swelling to go completely away, but I am left with arthritis which flares up every now and then. I am 58 and have also had other auto-immune type problems since that time, and often wonder if they're related. I think they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,299 times
I am in the childcare field, a teacher since 1989. I had be exposed to fifths so many times I thought I was immune. One of my kids at school came back from a vacation in Honalulu and must have brought back a strain that was not quite the same as I was immune to. I was in so much pain for a week I couldn't walk. This was ten years ago and now any time I get a severe cold the symptoms come back. They don't treat this a seriously as they should, it seems to be a throw away disease as far as the doctors are concerned.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,286 times
This is exactly what I experience. I got 5th's disease from my son approximately five years ago. The pain was horrible for about two to three weeks, VERY painful arthritic pain and I had difficulty moving blankets off of me in bed and coudn't lift a creamer to pour into my coffee. After that, it subsided EXCEPT for times when I'm ill, and then I feel like I have it all over again - not as painful but the same joint pain. I know you can have muscle aches when ill with certain infections but this is a very specific joint pain, in certain places, and I wonder if the 5th's triggered this. I don't have any other kind of arthritis to my knowledge, nor am I considered auto immune compromised.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,642,217 times
I've never heard of this.
Is this one of those new designer diseases that come out of Fort Dietrich?

The first I ever heard of Parvo was about 25 years ago when there was a pandemic of it in Dogs.
So now there is a human version.
What do they have in store for us next?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM

36,965 posts, read 40,910,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I've never heard of this.
Is this one of those new designer diseases that come out of Fort Dietrich?

The first I ever heard of Parvo was about 25 years ago when there was a pandemic of it in Dogs.
So now there is a human version.
What do they have in store for us next?
Nothing new about parvovirus. It's called "Fifth disease" because it was the fifth common childhood disease to be described. It was first characterized in 1799.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
I'm confused. I was recently diagnosed with parvo but my symptoms are a little different from everybody on here. I have severe pain but not in my hands. It is everywhere and actually feels like my bones not muscles and joints and yes i know that isn't really possible for my bones to ache but that's what it feels like but my hands and wrists are fine. I have chronic migraine not headache and constant soar throat. But this is what i have been diagnosed with and so far it has been a full month. I feel better for a day or ywo and yhen im back on my butt. Lack of appetite and fatigue also. Does anybody else have these symptoms with this diagnosis?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,073 times
Default B19 Agony

B19 and RA positive on blood test:combo is agonizing pain; GP office was so casual, concentrating on rash?
My God, the rash looks bad but it's the internal joint pain that is worse than childbirth.
I obtained painkillers for 2 days (otherwise I could not walk).
This precluded me from being seen by local Rheumatologist who referred me to pain management office.
As I understand, this virus is asymptomatic or torture, depending on age, gender,and underlining conditions. My advice: Take painkillers and increase range of motion;it will reduce swelling.
I have had it for 2 weeks; pain is much worse at night or while stagnant for more than 20 minutes.
Better medical practices have more curiosity about the disease and have made connections between b19 and connective tissue diseases,lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Be clear if you need pain management and ask for it. I hope to God this ends.
Horrified to read that for some, this lasts for years!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,957 times
So glad to find this forum and know I am not crazy!! I had fifth disease in early January 2013, got it from grandchild. I had had major shoulder surgery October 2012, the third in 18 months and complications following. I have a somewhat weak immune system and all the surgeries I am sure weakened my resistance.
I have had joint pain, low fever and burning face off and on since then. The rash was on my face originally. I had the flu recently and now my joints are terribly painful and tonight my face is burning. Frightens me to think this could go on for years. I am 64 and very active... If not in terrible pain. I do find the more I move the less I hurt.
Thanks for listening. Helps just to know someone else knows what you are going through.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
I just wanted to post about my experience with Fifth's and give other's some hope.
I came down with Fifth's after my oldest son had it. I am in my late 30s and in great overall health. I woke up one day with a rash on my arms and legs and knew it was Fifth's since my son had just had it. The nest day, I woke up and my hands and bottoms of my feet were numb. My rash was very itchy. My symptoms proceeded to get worse the next day, with my entire right arm going numb and hurting. It was impossible to sleep with such pain. It was kind of like carpal tunnel x 3. I am a dental hygienist and I was terrified this was going to be my life for the next year, especially after reading all the replies here. Advil did nothing for my symptoms. After a few days though, my symptoms slowly dissipated and two weeks later, my symptoms were completely gone. It has been a few months and they have not returned.
I was so depressed when I first found out what I had and read others descriptions here. I just wanted to offer a little hope that it may not be as severe as what some others have experienced. For everyone still suffering, I feel for you and hope you get some permanent relief very, very soon!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,431,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiJodi12 View Post
I just wanted to post about my experience with Fifth's and give other's some hope.
I came down with Fifth's after my oldest son had it. I am in my late 30s and in great overall health. I woke up one day with a rash on my arms and legs and knew it was Fifth's since my son had just had it. The nest day, I woke up and my hands and bottoms of my feet were numb. My rash was very itchy. My symptoms proceeded to get worse the next day, with my entire right arm going numb and hurting. It was impossible to sleep with such pain. It was kind of like carpal tunnel x 3. I am a dental hygienist and I was terrified this was going to be my life for the next year, especially after reading all the replies here. Advil did nothing for my symptoms. After a few days though, my symptoms slowly dissipated and two weeks later, my symptoms were completely gone. It has been a few months and they have not returned.
I was so depressed when I first found out what I had and read others descriptions here. I just wanted to offer a little hope that it may not be as severe as what some others have experienced. For everyone still suffering, I feel for you and hope you get some permanent relief very, very soon!
My 15 year old recently came down with this and before i have never heard of it,she showed no signs except for the rash which i thought was poison ivy or something like that since she had been hiking,its finally going away on her but now i think I've caught it,my joints and feet and hands were so swollen I feel like i have the flu, no rash on body yet but my face is so red and hot feeling. does this sound familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness