Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
great question. I believe it definitely does something to the brain. I have 2 adult children who believed marijuana was safe and used it alot (3 or 4 times a week as late as last year). This generation does not like to feel so they get high on quote and unquote "bad days." Now to the present, I know they still use periodically but now they seem somewhat normal. My child acknowledged marijuana impacted their thinking and ability to focus and it took them awhile to get out of the fog.
weelllll your sample set is small.

And when you throw in nonsense like "This generation does not like to feel so" you may as well be shouting get off my lawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 02:52 PM

244 posts, read 235,706 times
Bottom line, different substances effect different people differently. Like not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic. Makes you wonder though why humans have specific receptor in the brain for THC and CBD. FYI, CBD in pot does not make you high and you can get CBD extract on the Internet legally.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
It is a drug that works upon a persons brain, no doubt. And it is a powerful drug no matter what some people say. I wonder if it changes something in a persons thinking or many reaction time or whatever. I know that while on the drug a person has flight of mind where thoughts come and go real fast But what I mean is when person is off the drug and not high if something has changed.
I had a friend that became a pot addict (as in needing it every 20 minutes). If he went more than 2 hours without it, he would get angry and agitated.

But, nevertheless, he always told me and his other friends that "it wasn't a drug" and he was "not addicted".

Over the years, it seemed like he got angrier and angrier and had a shorter and shorter temper. One time I suggested to him that he see a psychiatrist to treat his mood swings, and that they may be able to prescribe him proper medication.....big mistake!....I ended up at the receiving end of a profanity-laced invective that would have made Joe Pesci blush ! No joke.

It got to the point where it made me afraid to be around him for long periods of time.

One time, I saw him go off at a complete stranger in a fit of road-rage because they didn't immediately go when the traffic signal changed to green. This was very alarming.

I knew that the longer I was around him, the more likely he would go off at me too. So I tried to avoid him more and more.

My worst fear was that he was going to go off at someone while I was hanging out with him and then they were going to get hostile in return and bullets would fly. Odds were headed in that direction so I did myself a favor and removed myself from the equation.

I'll never be convinced that marijuana is some great "cure" and that it has no side effects, or cannot alter a person's brain. I saw too much to convince me otherwise.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 PM

545 posts, read 411,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I had a friend that became a pot addict (as in needing it every 20 minutes). If he went more than 2 hours without it, he would get angry and agitated.

But, nevertheless, he always told me and his other friends that "it wasn't a drug" and he was "not addicted".

Over the years, it seemed like he got angrier and angrier and had a shorter and shorter temper. One time I suggested to him that he see a psychiatrist to treat his mood swings, and that they may be able to prescribe him proper medication.....big mistake!....I ended up at the receiving end of a profanity-laced invective that would have made Joe Pesci blush ! No joke.

It got to the point where it made me afraid to be around him for long periods of time.

One time, I saw him go off at a complete stranger in a fit of road-rage because they didn't immediately go when the traffic signal changed to green. This was very alarming.

I knew that the longer I was around him, the more likely he would go off at me too. So I tried to avoid him more and more.

My worst fear was that he was going to go off at someone while I was hanging out with him and then they were going to get hostile in return and bullets would fly. Odds were headed in that direction so I did myself a favor and removed myself from the equation.

I'll never be convinced that marijuana is some great "cure" and that it has no side effects, or cannot alter a person's brain. I saw too much to convince me otherwise.
I think your friend was just an a***hole with anger issues.

Don't blame the drug.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

I have known i lot of people who smoke weed in my younger days, some had been regulars for 40 years...

Never in my life i even heard of such a "story". My guess is you are either confusing weed with crack or your friend was lying to you. Maybe your buddy smoked hashish laced with a little kicker. i say this because weed does not make people angry and there is no withdrawal if you don't get a hit every two hours...

There are a lot of things it could have been , but it is super unlikely your buddies problem had a single thing to do with weed.

sure you can find plenty of BS websites in the USA that promote the myth of weed addiction but they a full of it. Weed it not addictive, habit forming yes but addictive NOPE. it is 100 times harder to give up nicotine than weed.

Your friend may well have simply been addicted to nicotine . many weed smokers mix in tobacco with the weed and of course to smoke hash in a joint you need tobacco just to roll it...

Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Of all the people I have known in the last 50 years who've used cannabis regularly, I have never met anyone who developed personality changes, anger issues or needed to use it every 20 minutes. kttam's friend obviously had some other psychological issues going on.

I only know of one person who died as an indirect result of cannabis. He was a former co-worker of mine, a daily hash smoker. He developed esophageal cancer and had to have much of his jaw removed. In the last years of his life, he was bedridden and needed to be fed through a tube. That was really sad.

It wasn't really the cannabis that killed him, though. It was smoking. Smoking anything is going to be bad for you because you are putting particulates and toxins from smoke into your lungs. (I think that smoking cigarettes is far worse, though, yet that's still legal.)

Nowadays a cannabis user doesn't need to smoke. I vape or use tinctures and edibles. Vaping doesn't heat the material enough to cause combustion but only enough to release vapors containing the active ingredients. It is much safer than smoking, and also uses less herb.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
It is a drug that works upon a persons brain, no doubt. And it is a powerful drug no matter what some people say. I wonder if it changes something in a persons thinking or many reaction time or whatever. I know that while on the drug a person has flight of mind where thoughts come and go real fast But what I mean is when person is off the drug and not high if something has changed.
I have never met an older pot smoker who has matured into an adult.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I have never met an older pot smoker who has matured into an adult.
You've never met me, then.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Anyone Ive known whos smoked the stuff is either stuttering when talking or moody..or has memory lapses. and ones even when theyve come off it can be paranoid.... I dont know much about the drug at all and wouldnt try it ever..

Old 04-18-2017, 12:52 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
I have plenty of personal experience over the past 25 years and I did good in school, doing great in my career, great family and life. If anything it's changed my brain for the better to be a little bit more open minded and to be more curious and even a deeper thinker. But the bottom line is there hasn't been any kind of major serious studies on effects so it's pretty much guessing and pseudo science. Now that it's legalized in some form in most of the country and gaining steam for full federal legalization we will see some more scientific study. But up until now the federal government still classifies it as something with no medical benefit so that limits the amount of legitimate study that can legally be done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness