U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM

13,136 posts, read 39,042,913 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research into Centenarians (100 or older) and especially those that are active and a sound mind and what their diet secrets are and the one food that sticks out that alot they have eaten their whole lives and still eat now and that is .....Oatmeal. I'm sure there are other secrets (genetic, low body fat etc..) that i haven't figured out but Oatmeal is definately #1 that i have researched so far.

Why?? Who knows but they really do lower Cholesterol very well although not all research points to low Cholesterol for longevity but it could be a unique Polyphenol found in them called '' Avenathramides''. These are only found in Oats and they have the unique ability to keep the Arteries free of Plaque. Also this compound lowers the pro-inflammatory Cytokines that cause inflammation in the body which is implicated in Autoimmune diseases, Parkinsons, Alzhiemers and certain Cancers. They also are very high in Beta-Glucan which are powerful in keeping the Immune System strong in the elderly.

Anyway something you may want to look into if your concerned about getting to 100 and being of sound mind and body at that age.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,640,480 times
I eat it 5-6 times a week. Really the only thing that keeps me regualar. Most other high fiber foods make me bloated. I'm 34 and get sometimes get ID'd for lottery tickets, so maybe its a factor.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 PM

18,460 posts, read 38,989,732 times
I was eating a bowl of it everyday, but I got burnt out on it. Once my blueberries get ripe this summer I will probably go back to eating it. I just can't eat oatmeal plain.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 PM

4,729 posts, read 18,640,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was eating a bowl of it everyday, but I got burnt out on it. Once my blueberries get ripe this summer I will probably go back to eating it. I just can't eat oatmeal plain.
I have to change it up every so often myself. I put natural cane sugar on it (Florida's Crystals).

Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 PM

746 posts, read 3,374,557 times
I believe eating oatmeal is a good habit, as long as it is the real thing, not the instant sugared (or HFCS adulterated stuff).

However, I do not believe any one food is the magic answer to longevity. As much as I would like to find a simple answer, it is much more complicated, and so I have come to believe a varied diet, modest portions and as close to the earth as possible is likely the best bet.

Above all I avoid the bad fats and the white poisons, refined flour and other highly processed carbohydrates.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,239,619 times
Quote:
I eat oatmeal every morning and like it with blueberries also. Lately though I'm on a banana kick. Its really good sliced up in the oatmeal if you haven't tried it. jeannie

Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM

18,460 posts, read 38,989,732 times
For those of you who hate the gummy texture of oatmeal (like me), try using soy milk in it rather than dairy milk when cooking. I don't know why, but something about the soy milk keeps the oatmeal from becoming gummy. I like to use the vanilla flavored soy milk in mine, along with berries.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
For those of you who hate the gummy texture of oatmeal (like me), try using soy milk in it rather than dairy milk when cooking. I don't know why, but something about the soy milk keeps the oatmeal from becoming gummy. I like to use the vanilla flavored soy milk in mine, along with berries.
I use soymilk also.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM

233 posts, read 727,744 times
i eat oatmeal, but, you have to be careful in which you eat. the oats, groats, pinhead, rolled or processed. groats, pinhead, and rolled are the best, the processed are the ones that come in a box, the instant packs those are not worth the paper they come in. they are too processed.
i like mine with carob chips, granola, and soymilk.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
i eat oatmeal, but, you have to be careful in which you eat. the oats, groats, pinhead, rolled or processed. groats, pinhead, and rolled are the best, the processed are the ones that come in a box, the instant packs those are not worth the paper they come in. they are too processed.
i like mine with carob chips, granola, and soymilk.
So are we safe with the Quaker Oats brand 100% whole grain cook for 5 minutes stove top?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness