Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times

Advertisements

I should preface this to say I am an otherwise healthy 35 yr old female.
I hit my head getting out of my car about 2 months ago--ever since then I have had lower back and rear pain. Apparently I have a pronounced curve in my back (lordosis) and all of my muscles are in constant spasm (especially piriformis, and those muscles right around your low back)
Here is what I have done thus far:

1 week in saw my regular doctor who said "you don't have any slipped discs" and prescribed a low does pain medication and muscle relaxer (bacclofen and meloxicam)

2 weeks in tried to see a chiropractor (have not ever seen one before) the first gal said I had all of these problems--one leg longer than the other, multiple bone spurs, disc space issues etc--wanted to sign me up for 3 months of treatment.

Also 2 weeks in started physical therapy

3-4 weeks in I ended up seeing a differrent in network chiropractor who looked at the first places xrays and said it wasn't that bad and it was muscular which corresponds to what my Dr and PT thinks. She did some deep tissue which hurt SO bad, PT has tried active release which hurts so BAD (but whatever if it would help) but it doesn't help--maybe for an hour or less?

I have been doing exercises since week 2--which they have adjusted to new ones over time

My pain is worse by the week pretty much. It is getting unbearable.

Where do I go from here?

Just to give some specifics I am a work out person--I generally only take off 1 day a week. I do cardio every day (generally now just recumbant bike and eliptical) but before this did Body Pump (low weight high rep strength training) core work, step aerobics etc---so I really didn't think I was in that bad of muscular shape

Ideas, Thoughts? My DR doesn't really want to see me again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Many overdo it in the exercise world and pay later on. I was a workout queen and now at almost 79, paying with bodywide arthritis and a lot of complications from a hip replacement. I know some friends who said "they overdid it" in the gyms. I danced a LOT and dancers do a lot of damage.

Slow down and stretch more and look at gentle yoga maybe and other forms of easy exercise.

My back started to bother me at 18 and I'm 79 soon. Never back surgery but lots of work and lot on my own. Wear and tear with age. And arthritis.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-01-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
I'm sure you've told your physical therapists about your current level of pain. What have they told you to do? Do they recommend you keep biking and doing elliptical?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM

thank you for the feedback--
I'm sort of addicted to exercise--it doesn't have to be strenuous but I cannot sleep if I do not get at least 30 min of cardio in, I'm just not a 'tired' person unless I get enough physical activity (work a desk job, but use a standing desk)

I have told them and they think what I am doing is fine. They did tell me no step machine so I discontinued using that and to add core so I have started adding a core video a couple times a week.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Have you incorporated stretches for the piriformis and for lower back ache into your daily workout? Also, is the rear pain on one side. My piriformis pain is the classical mid-butt ache in one spot (on my right butt) which over time developed into a case of sciatic nerve pain. My therapists gave me exercices to do for that. I spend about 30-40 mins a day doing those stretches now...before doing cardio and any other workout. I've also had some lower back ache from time to time and the stretches that the PT's suggested help me. Core work was also a part of my PT prescribed routine.

Here are some of the typical things I was told to do and I do daily..

1. Stretch the hamstrings.. 30 secs each, 3 sets on each leg. I use a strap, laying down, and holding one leg straight up.

2. Laying flat down on the mat, brings both knees to chest for 30 secs... 3 sets.

3. The supine piriformis stretch 30 secs on each leg..3 sets

[url]https:// www. youtube. com/ watch? v=eKp2f5-jRbI

4. I've also added a couple from this link (video)..

[url]http://sequencewiz .org/2014/05/17/yoga- practice-release-piriformis-tension/

5. Crossovers for lower back... laying down on the back.... Raise one leg straight up and bring it all the way down, crossing over the other leg .... hold for 30 secs. Each leg 3 sets.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Default exercises

thanks I will check these out.
Yes I do all sorts of stretches and core strengthening moves at this point.
My pain is mostly in my lower back--now those muscles as well as my piriformis on both sides are in constant spasm.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 PM

14 posts, read 9,676 times
Default SpO2Levels

Hi! Have you had a panel that breaks down what's going on in your blood and monitoring of your vital stats? I say this to suggest you sound symptomatic of circularity deficiencies... there are definitely ways to manage this

dbj

Old 05-12-2017, 08:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Try stopping the recumbent bike for a while. Recumbent exercises, including Pilates, often aggrevate the lower back. Do perforis stretches several times a day. Sleep on your side, or on your back with pillow under your knees. Do NO exercises that involve bending backwards. Be careful when doing abdominal exercises that they are not too difficult and thus straining your back. I had the same problems as you and finally wised up and lightened up on my exercise and things improved. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness