Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,306,221 times

Advertisements

I need more cervical surgery and heard several ads on the radio for stem cell surgery or stem cell treatments. It's done with your own bone marrow so there's no ethical issues involved. It sounds interesting, but it's considered experimental by the insurance companies, so everything is out of pocket.

I'm not impressed with what I've read about the results of the treatments so far and was curious if anyone here had a sucessful experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
I've never done it for my KNEE especially but we have an MD on the radio every week who uses PRP and Stem Cells in his Prolotherapy practice. Stem cells are pricey. But MANY want to avoid surgeries as they can be costly in many ways. Not just money but when things go wrong.

My sister kept waiting for Stem Cells in her battle with MS but she recently lost her battle at 68, never to get a stem cell. Her doctors kept her waiting for them. ummmm

Maybe someone else will report. If money were no issue, I'd do the stem cells. Another MD in the midwest, Ross Hauser does the stem cells too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-15-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 805,291 times
I have done prolo & PRP a number of times & am considering stem cells, but I would have to travel a significant distance & as you said, it's not covered by insurance :-(. Neither is PRP or prolo, but the price for those is far less restrictive than the stem cells. My chiropractor (different than the prolo/PRP dr) told me he'd do stem cells before considering surgery & gave me the name of the drs who do it our area, near Boulder, CO. If it wasn't OOP, I would definitely give it a try.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 AM

I've been doing regular prolo for 10 yrs: shoulder, back and knees..the last dextrose prolo injection, I believe, in my knee may have caused the infection I just went thru almost 5 months of hospital and rehab and the infection wasn't found until 2.5 months into first rehab. My knee is pretty messed up with OA and I do dread knee surgery. I'll have to check stem cell prices again here...but they are costly and of course insurance does not cover any of it.

Infection can happen with so much we do and surgery for certain.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
our son in law did it for his knee. It was very successful but his age was in his favor. My best friend just had it done (about 3 months ago) it was a failure. Luckily she could afford the $4500 it costs, but felt she got taken. This is someone who normally checks everything out. What was never explained to her was: age can prevent the success of using your own stem cells. My advise: check it out carefully and don't get sucked in by promises or questionable advertising.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Good point on the age factor, being younger helps everything to heal better. My gut feeling tells me my knee is too damaged and the age factor.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,306,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good point on the age factor, being younger helps everything to heal better. My gut feeling tells me my knee is too damaged and the age factor.
I have the same feeling about my neck. This will be the second surgery in 13 years. Plus I can't find a doctor seriously interested in discussing stem cell options with me.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I have the same feeling about my neck. This will be the second surgery in 13 years. Plus I can't find a doctor seriously interested in discussing stem cell options with me.
You mean to say no stem cell people in NY area? Every time we do a surgery, our body experiences trauma.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:32 PM

I just heard Marc Darrow, MD who does PRP and Stem Cells. He's on radio call in program every weekend and he gets so many calls from those who still have a lot of problems in spite of surgeries like replacements. He says once body is cut, arthritis sets in. He also says as long as one can bend knee, there is cartlidge in that knee.

Every time I hear him, I get more and more thinking about no knee replacement..IF only for the money, I'd do the stem cells pronto. At least go see him to see if he thinks I'm a candidate.

I live with 3 major complications from hip replacement in 2010. Can't go back.

Of course, insurance SHOULD pay and could it be they work and would put too many surgeons out of the business of surgery. ummmm

Old 05-20-2017, 06:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just heard Marc Darrow, MD who does PRP and Stem Cells. He's on radio call in program every weekend and he gets so many calls from those who still have a lot of problems in spite of surgeries like replacements. He says once body is cut, arthritis sets in. He also says as long as one can bend knee, there is cartlidge in that knee.

Every time I hear him, I get more and more thinking about no knee replacement..IF only for the money, I'd do the stem cells pronto. At least go see him to see if he thinks I'm a candidate.

I live with 3 major complications from hip replacement in 2010. Can't go back.

Of course, insurance SHOULD pay and could it be they work and would put too many surgeons out of the business of surgery. ummmm
Yep, of course insurance SHOULD pay for EVERY UNPROVEN medical procedure one can think of right?

I mean what could possibly go wrong with THAT idea???

After all, money does grow on trees so there is no need for responsible oversight of insurance dollars right???

IF stem cell treatment can be PROVEN to be effective the way it promotes itself to be THEN it should be covered by insurance....until then??? Not so much....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness