Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:05 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times

Advertisements

America...the only place we are willing to drug our children for being normal. There is a school of thought that there is in fact no such thing as ADHD. Did you know that every kid that gets medicated and put in SPED the school gets extra dollars from both federal and state. Can anyone tell us when this so called epidemic started? Let me think...oh yes, big pharm. It appears everyone is making money.

My very bright son who was in preschool, could already read and write; than he went into kidnergarten. The school made an appointmet with a psychiatrist telling me that my son had ADHD. OK, I'll play your game...we went to the psychiatrist office and sat in front of her desk smiling politely and after 20 minutes (where my son sat right next to me and did not move or speak)he was diagnosed with ADHD. She only asked him one question; do you like school? Well that was it: a prescription was written for ritalin and we left. I filled the ritalin and every day before my son went to school I gave him a multivitamin telling him he was taking his medicine (I threw the ritalin out).

Oh, the report cards from school were glowing. He was doing so much better now on medications according to the teacher. It was almost a miracle. Fast forward 6 months and I'm on the playground watching my son during recess and the teacher approaches me. She starts with the see how I saved him thing and I just couldn't help myself and told her he infact had never taken the ritalin that it was all about her perception. You would have thought I shot her the way she looked at me. Next report card: student has had abrupt change in behavior, out of control etc, etc... Thats what you're dealing with.

The increase in kids with ADHD has increased so much I fear for them. They are dependent on drugs as children but very few directed studies following them into adulthood. All I can tell you is that you need to go with your gut. I have met kids with real problems, they can't control their attentions spans.

A child with real problems, their eyes dart from one place to another very fast and it's obvious there's a conern. They cannot sit still, I mean not for a second. They actually do bounce off the walls.

My question is why don't all these so called professionals that diagnose these kids do counseling which would work so much better than drugs. I would say over 3/4 the kids I've seen in SPED don't belong there.

It's interesting that when GMOs and fructose corn syrup were introduced into America so did the rise in the ADHD. (along with big pharm and the obesity epidemic). Diet is very important and we are fillin up our kids with poison. Many countries have outlawed fructose syrup and GMOs. Our bodies can't metabolize the fructose so it's goes into our fat depostis and who knows where else. Go to your shelves in your kitchen and see how many products have fructose in it. Freezer and refriderator too. If you don't want to give your kid drugs...Don't! Ask for counseling if it's so bad. Counseling is different than prayer. Eliminate the medial first always than go with the mental apspect. It's rare in my experience to find a child with real ADHD (believe me, you will know when you meet a child with real ADHD).

There are many reason kids don't do well in school. When one learning style is incorporated to teach all children, many will fall through the cracks. I did very poorly in public school. When I went to college I fell into a university that taught in many different styles and I thrived graduating with honors.

I don't know what the answer to is to all this over diagnosing and readily availability of ritalin like drugs, but shoving the drugs down every kids throat is not the answer. Also, parenting skills have gone out the window, some actually think the schools are responsible for our kids education...sorry people, it starts at home.

You are her mother; you are the one who knows. There are many forums you could join to have support and get information from other's who won't accept that giving their kids a controlled substance is the answer. Do your own research...there's tons of material out there and make sure you look to see who is writing the stuff. Juried articles and blogs from reputable scholars. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 12:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Thanks for a lot of good info and experiences. I have a hard time trusting pharma and their diseases and drugs.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I posted a link in Alternatives, and the author says ADHD was never heard of 20 yrs ago nor for sure in my childhood up.
The History of ADHD: A Timeline

"ADHD was first mentioned in 1902. British pediatrician Sir George Still described “an abnormal defect of moral control in children.” He found that some affected children could not control their behavior the way a typical child would, but they were still intelligent."

Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
..."ADHD was first mentioned in 1902. British pediatrician Sir George Still described “an abnormal defect of moral control in children.” He found that some affected children could not control their behavior the way a typical child would, but they were still intelligent."

Very interesting! I cant rep you again so soon but will do so after I've spread it around a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness