Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No it's not. Some part yes, some parts no.

And please look at specifically what I was responding to for context.
About no doctor recommending margarine since the 80's for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Opinion based on what exactly???

You don't go to MD's you have stated that here MANY times....

Another person making pronouncements with NO knowledge on the subject....you aren't an MD and you don't go to MD's but you KNOW how MOST MD's practice....such amazing insight.....not

I have gone to doctors in my almost 79 yrs, in recent years since I've been here, No. My last mess, probably 10+ doctors tried to attend to me to try to figure out what was going on. I don't recall any out of shape ones to be honest.

We all seem to have amazing insights, don't we. Can't forget that. We all count. But don't agree with others, often.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-04-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And by the way these kinds of oil were used for industrial purposes only, until not long ago.
Last fall I had to remove some old vinyl tiles from a concrete subfloor. After scraping off the tiles I was left with this black tar-like substance on the concrete. I bought this stuff based on internet research and product reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-BEAR-Mas...SIN=B00U2RHY00

It was awesome. Within an hour that tar was the consistency of used motor oil and mopped up with little effort. It is primarily made from soybean oil. I'd definitely buy it again for a similar purpose but after doing more food and health-based research this year I no longer want soybean oil in my food.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:01 PM

183 posts, read 210,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Last fall I had to remove some old vinyl tiles from a concrete subfloor. After scraping off the tiles I was left with this black tar-like substance on the concrete. I bought this stuff based on internet research and product reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-BEAR-Mas...SIN=B00U2RHY00

It was awesome. Within an hour that tar was the consistency of used motor oil and mopped up with little effort. It is primarily made from soybean oil. I'd definitely buy it again for a similar purpose but after doing more food and health-based research this year I no longer want soybean oil in my food.

So soybean oil removes mastic from concrete? yikes, can't imagine what it does to our bodies then...

Old 06-04-2017, 09:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I think we're all on different pages on the fat issue.

I pulled this from the Mayo clinic heart healthy diet article: Heart-healthy diet: 8 steps to prevent heart disease - Mayo Clinic

Fats to choose
Olive oil
Canola oil
Vegetable and nut oils
Margarine, trans fat free
Cholesterol-lowering margarine, such as Benecol, Promise Activ or Smart Balance
Nuts, seeds
Avocados

Fats to limit
Butter
Lard
Bacon fat
Gravy
Cream sauce
Nondairy creamers
Hydrogenated margarine and shortening
Cocoa butter, found in chocolate
Coconut, palm, cottonseed and palm-kernel oils

For the record, I'm not promoting this at all, but interested to see if this is what your doctors are recommending for good vs bad fats.
The oils I use are on the Fats to Limit list...ummmm

No mention of soybean oil.

Smart Balance is not so smart. I was curious what is said about margarine and here's one link:

There is Nothing Smart About Smart Balance - The Healthy Home Economist

And the lists are from Mayo???!!!!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A lot of older people can't stand in their kitchens to make what they put together for years for their aging process took hold. I cannot now but do my best with the help of some beans from a can.
You should get an electric pressure cooker. It cooks dried beans in an hour, potatoes in 7 min, hardboiled eggs in 4 min. It really makes cooking a lot less work. You could sit at the table, chop the food, put it in the cooker and then you don't have to stir it or watch it, just come back in the kitchen when it's done.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I was so lucky to have a good doctor 25 years ago that told us to eat butter, that margarine wasn't even a real food, in his words.

This is what gets me, when my dad was in the hospital, the heart healthy menus still were loaded with sugar laden items and low fat items. Same with the cafeteria. I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise that most of the doctors and nurses were obese.
I work in the healthcare field, in an office, and work with doctors and nurses. Only one out of 15 doctors I work with is obese, and a couple out of 40+ nurses are a little bit overweight, not most of them are as KaraG says.

I like butter, yogurt with 1.5% fat and olive oil too. I eat more fruits, vegetables and a little of meat. I exercise often.

I see too many obese people now to compare to the 1950, 1960 because nowadays people eat much more than before

You go to the wholesale stores and look at how much food people buy in the shopping carts. It was not like this before. People buy so much and eat too much; therefore, of course, day by day goes by, they will gain weight and will find it's hard to lose.

Besides, in the old days, there were no so many cars, people had to take bus, train, or walked, or rode bicycle to work. That made a big difference.

The main thing is if people had self-discipline, not to indulge their appetite too much, ate moderate amount each meal and exercised more, they would not be obese/fat.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 06-04-2017 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I work in the healthcare field, in an office, and work with doctors and nurses. Only one out of 15 doctors I work with is obese, and a couple out of 40+ nurses are a little bit overweight, not most of them are as KaraG says.

I like butter, yogurt with 1.5% fat and olive oil too. I eat more fruits, vegetables and a little of meat. I exercise often.

I see too many obese people now to compare to the 1950, 1960 because nowadays people eat much more than before

If you go to the wholesale stores and look at how much food people buy in the shopping carts. It was not like this before. People buy so much and eat too much; therefore, of course, day by day goes by, they will gain weight and will find it's hard to lose.

Besides, in the old days, there were no so many cars, people had to take bus, train, or walked, or rode bicycle to work. That made a big difference.

The main thing is if people had self-discipline, not to indulge their appetite too much, eat moderate amount each meal and exercise more, they would not be obese/fat.
Yes, people eat too much.

That is the obesity problem in four words.

Do not blame it on fructose or grains or even fat. It is simply too much food.

Recommendations about fat have changed over time as new data have come in but doctors never recommended substituting sugar for fat. They have always said to limit fat, and currently to specifically limit trans fat.

https://healthyforgood.heart.org/Eat...cles/Trans-Fat

The American Heart Association recommendations:

The American Heart Association's Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations

Note that fruits and vegetables are at the top of the list and it includes exercise and calorie control as part of the plan.

"Limit saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, red meat, sweets and sugar-sweetened beverages. If you choose to eat red meat, compare labels and select the leanest cuts available.
One of the diets that fits this pattern is the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) eating plan. Most healthy eating patterns can be adapted based on calorie requirements and personal and cultural food preferences."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-04-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

You go to the wholesale stores and look at how much food people buy in the shopping carts. It was not like this before. People buy so much and eat too much; therefore, of course, day by day goes by, they will gain weight and will find it's hard to lose.

The main thing is if people had self-discipline, not to indulge their appetite too much, ate moderate amount each meal and exercised more, they would not be obese/fat.
I agree. You never used to see all these obese people and there's no trick to it--it's about overeating and not getting exercise. Maybe it also has something to do with what junk food does to people's bodies too; the jury is still out on that.

But when restaurants started with supersizing, people must have started thinking that was the normal serving size. They must have started serving huge portions like that at home. Seems also that too many people eat out these days instead of cooking. The excuse is that they're too tired from work but we always worked and then came home and cooked. Or we cooked on the weekend for the week in advance. It does take some planning and self discipline though.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothwells mum View Post
So soybean oil removes mastic from concrete? yikes, can't imagine what it does to our bodies then...
It does make me wonder if the human body is even capable of burning off an oil that can dissolve mastic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness