Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:01 PM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Hello, RH1. I, too, have Raynaud's disease. I have many auto-immune diseases of which Raynaud's is one.

I have not taken medications for Raynauds, but do take many precautions to avoid the onset. I have difficulty going into grocery stores and any place that is typically cooler than 70° or so.

I do wear gloves whenever possible, even in my own home when putting things in and out of the freezer or refrigerator. I many times have to ask a family member to do it for me it I reach the point of severe circulation cut-off.

I am always careful to fully dry my hands when washing them because this triggers the response, as well as, applying hand lotion. I try to keep my lotions in a warm place. This happens as a result of quick evaporation which causes cooling. It doesn't take much to trigger.

Raynaud's that is chronic - happening daily - can be quite dangerous. It often is accompanied by loss of feeling - neuropathy. It is very easy to injure oneself if you have lost the feeling in fingers or toes (or even your nose) as a result of Raynauds.

The flesh of my fingers hardens when the attack is severe, so that they feel like a plastic doll's fingers or those of someone who has died. Knives can be very dangerous in this case because the fingers are not soft any longer to give a little if slicing something with a knife.

Raynaud's lasting for a few hours is also quite dangerous as gangrene can eventually set into the digits or permanent tissue and nerve damage.

The best recommendation I can give to you is to see a Rheumotologist (They specialize in autoimmune diseases, such as arthritus, the most common). The doctor can best advise you on what things you can do to quickly restore circulation to your fingers and what to do to avoid them. As far as I know there is no medication that will help this condition. The best remedy is prevention. I now drive a car with a heated steering wheel, which helps tremendously!!

I hope that this has helped you some. But, seeking the advice of a physician who specializes in this disorder is best.

Excellent post.

One correction: Calcium channel blockers can be used to treat Raynaud's, often greatly reducing the number of attacks, even if not completely eliminating them, and..

One additional tip: as well as keeping your hands warm, keep your total body warm too. A chill of any part can set up the reflex constriction of the blood vessels in the hands, even if they themselves are still warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 09:15 PM

422 posts, read 281,175 times
Out of the blue today my fingertip froze, like it felt frozen. It also looked blue in the nail bed when the
moon-shape is. Is this what you experienced with Reynaud's? I do have arthritis but never has this happened.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:16 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
Out of the blue today my fingertip froze, like it felt frozen. It also looked blue in the nail bed when the
moon-shape is. Is this what you experienced with Reynaud's? I do have arthritis but never has this happened.

Welcome to Raynaud's. It can turn white or blue because the circulation is cut off. Swinging your arms around like a windmill will get the circulation going again.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:44 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I developed it about a year ago. My hands/fingers turn a purple and/or blue. I’ve seen a rheumatologist who ruled out about a dozen more severe issues that it is not and has held off on prescribing meds for now. I usually notice it when it is cold outside and/or when I come out of the shower (even a warm shower). I typically run my hands under warm/hot water for a minute or two. Seems to get the feeling back in my hands/fingers.

Old 01-10-2024, 02:15 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Yep this sucks. Suffered with this in New England for some years. I generally just run a sink of hot water and stick my hands in. Painful at first but then the circulation re-starts.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:39 PM

422 posts, read 281,175 times
Now it is in my pinky finger. Not the tip this time, just feels frozen and tingles with pain somewhat. I called to schedule an appointment with a new Rheumatologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness