Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:57 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,315,906 times

Advertisements

I will be arriving in the US having been treated out of country for hyper-thyroidism (Graves disease) and will undoubtedly be getting a prescription for one of the above drugs.

I would like to use an online pharmacy as we will be moving around a bit for awhile, and also because possibly they might be cheaper? So my question is, how to choose this pharmacy. I have heard there are lots of rogues out there and I certainly want to get pure drugs, so I'm a bit concerned.

Can anyone help with ideas? Possibly this drug is pretty cheap anyway, I don't know (we don't have the govt. drug insurance plan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:29 AM

965 posts, read 940,977 times
ETA: I didn't actually answer your question below. Sorry!

The medication for hyper thyroidism was (ime) about $6 a month without insurance 10 years ago, and I have heard from friends it is about $2 with insurance. So, the biggest expense "should" be the doctor, and consistent bloodwork.
Your heart health is no joke, do don't slack on those checkups. Overmedicating slightly can cause heart palpitations, and the needs for beta blockers as well.

I have used online pharmacies for a number of things, and might even use for hypo thyroidism in a pinch. Hyper/ Graves, no way.

Not sure if you are aware, but graves almost always becomes hashimotos. Please be sure to always get your antibody tests. At least yearly, so you know what is happening to your thyroid, and the rest of your body (including your eyes).

If you are aware of all of this and willing to take a chance that is up to you, but in case someone (who is not aware reads this in the future) I have to say it. Please don't do it.

The best thing you can do for it (on the side/ self medication) is to go gluten free, and read about Other foods/ many supplements, etc... to avoid with graves, or any AI disease. I chose no raiding active, or surgical removal, and I went into "remission" for 10 years, (before I knew about a possible gluten connection) but then Hashis showed up with a vengeance. I will always wonder if I could have stopped that progression.

If you will be moving around a lot there's should be no problem with changing pharmacies. It is all computerized and takes a phone call - at least for this one.
I've also used the 3 month supply pharmacy (but for hypothyroid meds) through my insurance and showed no cost savings (none). Though I did shop pharmacies, and found a bit of a break.

Here is hoping you have insurance that covers the bloodwork. If so, you should be good. The drug is simple, and cheap. The medication may be called some version of what you referred to (mine was called tapazol).

Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I will be arriving in the US having been treated out of country for hyper-thyroidism (Graves disease) and will undoubtedly be getting a prescription for one of the above drugs.

I would like to use an online pharmacy as we will be moving around a bit for awhile, and also because possibly they might be cheaper? So my question is, how to choose this pharmacy. I have heard there are lots of rogues out there and I certainly want to get pure drugs, so I'm a bit concerned.

Can anyone help with ideas? Possibly this drug is pretty cheap anyway, I don't know (we don't have the govt. drug insurance plan).
If you have a prescription why not just go to a regular pharmacy?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Jambo101, I have no idea how expensive this drug is so wanted to check out prices. Only prices I could find were from an online pharmacy. I don't know how much it will cost from a regular Walgreens or whatever. They don't give out prices.

Also, if I lodge the prescription at one location, say Arizona, and then after a few months head up to another location, say Michigan, I won't be able to access it.

Didn't know that about Hashimoto's. Now you're scaring me, simplepeace.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Jambo101, I have no idea how expensive this drug is so wanted to check out prices. Only prices I could find were from an online pharmacy. I don't know how much it will cost from a regular Walgreens or whatever. They don't give out prices.

Also, if I lodge the prescription at one location, say Arizona, and then after a few months head up to another location, say Michigan, I won't be able to access it.

Didn't know that about Hashimoto's. Now you're scaring me, simplepeace.
Sorry! But the wish I had known...

Btw, Walgreens (and others) will give price over the phone. At least ballpark - without insurance. AND they will take scripts from other states - 3 states for me so far.

Just call locally, or go in and explain that you are moving/ traveling/ snowbirding...

Last edited by simplepeace; 06-21-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
I was given the Hashi dx probably 15 yrs ago and the numbers were not bad I guess as MD at the time didn't do a thing. But in 2002 I got on desiccated thryoid support for HypoT, I never thought I was HyperT (graves). Get a MD who knows. And do a lot of your own work.

In my experiences with thyroid meds, they are pretty afffordable and I don't carry prescription insurance as I don't take many and the ones I take I can afford. My MD writes scripts for 90 tabs of my Naturthroid and it's much less in higher quantities. I'm a low income senior.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM

So if I give in my script to a Walgreens in one state it goes into a sort of Walgreens computer and I can access it anywhere for refills? (I guess it's obvious I haven't done a prescription in years, at least one that would keep going for years or whatever)

Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
So if I give in my script to a Walgreens in one state it goes into a sort of Walgreens computer and I can access it anywhere for refills? (I guess it's obvious I haven't done a prescription in years, at least one that would keep going for years or whatever)
Yep! It feels a little big brother-ish. But.... it does keep it simple

Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Favorite easy, the training wheels book. You can just read what makes sense at first, what you want at the time. No freaky "change it all at once" Book. You will find you are better or worse than someone, and that there is help. No gurus here, just simple calming knowledge.

https://smile.amazon.com/Thyroid-Sol...+by+ridha+arem

Old 06-22-2017, 03:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
Yeah, any chain store can refill one of their prescriptions from any location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness