Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM

3,502 posts, read 6,463,674 times

Advertisements

I've had a problem that if I eat food that is a little greasy and if there is a lot, to become diarrheic and the food passes out of me. This is common to most people, but I think it's more common to me than others. Fries and Italian salad dressing are really a problem. Bacon is the worst.

I don't think I have an illness, because if I eat the right foods to the right amount, I'm perfectly okay. My weight is normal.

I went through a period when I drank V8 juice everyday. I was able to eat slightly greasy foods without losing it. I just had this idea I wasn't getting the right nutrients. I stopped the V8 juice and the greasy food problem is coming back. It's not just super greasy food. It can be Chinese food that is only a little rich. Can't do soy sauce, by the way.

Can you comment or suggest anything that would improve this problem?
Why would I have a lower tolerance for greasy foods, compared to others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,612,883 times
I think your issues can be pretty normal, the more greasy/fats the more stuff slides thru. You know the answer. I can expect this too with chinese foods and I have not chinese foods in months...I get a craving now and then but not driving now keeps me from it. But once in a while cannot hurt. I've not had bacon in a long time too, same reason not driving and I have to pick foods easy for my friends to buy and for delivery.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 PM

683 posts, read 1,877,088 times
Have you always been this way, or is it something new?

My mom and sister both have that issue when they had problems with their gallbladder and had to have it removed. You may wish to do some research on how/why that may be related to what you are experiencing. I honestly have no clue, so anecdotal information is all I can offer.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 PM

3,502 posts, read 6,463,674 times
I'm 50 now and it's happened more and more across many years. It's not a life-damaging thing but irritating.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,767,263 times
I had a problem like that and it turned out I was developing an allergy.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 AM

965 posts, read 932,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had a problem like that and it turned out I was developing an allergy.
This! ^^^ I would go for allergy testing.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,911,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I'm 50 now and it's happened more and more across many years. It's not a life-damaging thing but irritating.
if you know you have this issue, then you can control when/where you eat this food. If it's just irritating and not causing major pains or upsets, then I doubt it's your gallbladder or allergies. It might your body's way of saying, "Stop eating this crap".

As we get older our digestive system slow down...so we do need to eat less and eat less rich/greasy foods. If you're really concerned or troubled...see you doctor.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:33 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,595,312 times
You're not alone. I've this reaction to oily/greasy foods, too. Melted butter is the worst. Or certain oils used in restaurant cooking. As a result, I eat zero to little fried foods to avoid the reaction and race to the bathroom.

Once you learn your trigger foods that set you off, you can avoid them -- or, unfortunately, pay the price. I'll only have melted butter (for seafood or on an artichoke) if I'm eating at home..or else..the race is on--a race I'd hate to lose!!

As I'm otherwise healthy, I just look at this as an oddity of my personal digestive system. No biggy.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,341,866 times
I've had bile acid malabsorption for as long as I can remember, if I eat a meal that's too large or too high in fat, it tends to make my body produce too much bile, which then results in diarrhea. The symptoms are very similar to those who have had their gall bladder removed, only mine is sporadic, it doesn't happen every time. My doc gave me prescription for Colestid tablets, and I simply take one about an hour before eating a meal I think could cause a problem, it has been a big help for me.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Well that is a better problem to have than constipation. Yes, I too can have potty problems from eating to much or a lot of things, particularly greasy foods and root vegetables. To me the solution is not to give them up by anymeans, but to cut back and to choose when and how much I will eat. An example, last night, we had mashed root veggies for dinner, with a fruit salad and crock pot chicken. Although the chicken wasn't fried or anything it was cooked in its own juices, thus having some fat. I knew today, would be a day to stay close to the bathroom and I have. But do I regret what I ate, along with sausage and fried eggs this morning? Nope I enjoyed every bite. I just will watch what i eat the rest of today and for the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness