Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:30 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If medicine is an applied science, why can't they APPLY more to them that will not give us side effects? Same question I ask over and over and no answers.

Sorry OP things always go off track.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Why can't I cook fettuccine alfredo that has no calories? Why can't I raise my child without ever getting mad at him? Why can't we all just get along?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Why can't I cook fettuccine alfredo that has no calories? Why can't I raise my child without ever getting mad at him? Why can't we all just get along?
I give up...because enough of us have opposite opinions on medicine and healing.

Your examples are so totally unrelated to the subject here.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-01-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 05:26 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Yes, some are. But by and large they make much more money off of prescription drugs. The mark up alone put the profit on supplements to shame. They know darn well that no one will pay $400 for a bottle of vitamins. But they know that if it's a prescription, they can pretty much charge whatever the heck they want, at least in the US. Other countries don't allow that.

And before someone says it, yes, I know some of the mark-up are to cover research. But drug companies, on average, spend twice as much on advertising as they do on research and development of new drugs. If they really cared about making people well, those figures would be reversed.
No, they don't spend twice as much on advertising. Most marketing is aimed at physicians, not consumers, and the figures are reversed.

Does pharma spend more on marketing than R&D? A numbers check | FiercePharma

"That's a total for 2010 of more than $31 billion [for marketing], the best guess-timate we can come up with on short notice. According to FierceBiotech's 2010 R&D spending report, the industry shelled out $67 billion on research that year--more than twice our quick-and-dirty marketing estimate."

Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, they don't spend twice as much on advertising. Most marketing is aimed at physicians, not consumers, and the figures are reversed.

Does pharma spend more on marketing than R&D? A numbers check | FiercePharma

"That's a total for 2010 of more than $31 billion [for marketing], the best guess-timate we can come up with on short notice. According to FierceBiotech's 2010 R&D spending report, the industry shelled out $67 billion on research that year--more than twice our quick-and-dirty marketing estimate."

Oh so those TV ads on pharma drugs don't cost millions? And they run constantly. I don't see them anymore as I've gotten rid of cable TV so I'm being saved.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh so those TV ads on pharma drugs don't cost millions? And they run constantly. I don't see them anymore as I've gotten rid of cable TV so I'm being saved.

Her post gives the amount spent to advertise........ and for R&D.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Your gf needs to be more proactive in her treatment. She needs to DISCUSS the medications w/the doctor. Not just take whatever he tells her to.

She needs to research what the side effects are.

The Chicago dr changed her medicine because it was not fine. It was causing migraines. So she must've complained about that. If she wanted to stay on her prior medication, she needed to be firm and say so.

Yes, I would hesitate to take several medications simultaneously, because of their interactions, as well as COST. I ALWAYS balk at taking any medication. The dr. needs to convince me I need it before I'll take it. If he's arrogant and won't be questioned, I have to find another dr.

Doctors are in the business of dispensing medications. You have to watch them on that. They take courses on all the medications that exist. They do not take nutrition courses or prevention courses. They usually don't do alternative treatments or anything like that. So it's partly understanding a doctor's purpose and where he's coming from.

Tell your gf to be more proactive. Speaking of proactive, why isn't SHE doing a post instead of you? There's nothing wrong with you being concerned, but does SHE have a problem with the new treatment, too? Or just you?

I have questioned our health care system for years. It's excellent in some respects, but I totally believe in trying not to take medications at all, unless absolutely necessary, and not automatically doing or taking anything a doctor gives me or tells me to do.

As a female, I also find female doctors have been better for me, in some instances. They seem to listen to female patients more and respond to what they say, and easier to deal with sometimes.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:43 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Doctors ... do not take nutrition courses or prevention courses.
Poppycock.

Giving vaccines is prevention.

Lfestyle changes are at the core of the treatment of hypertension, diabetes, and cholesterol abnormalities.

Doctors tell patients to eat better and move more all the time. People just refuse to do it.

Nutrition may not be taught as named courses in medical school, but it is taught as an integral part of the treatment of diseases during residencies.

Quote:
They usually don't do alternative treatments or anything like that.
They do not "do alternative treatments" that have not been shown to "do" anything useful. If it works, it's not "alternative". It's just medicine.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:03 PM

My doctors ALWAYS hit up nutrition and exercise first, and medicine as a last resort. My doctors do support / recommend supplements (although diet first) if they have the studies to back them up. I've had fish oil, peppermint oil, and ginger all recommended (Gastro said studies showed ginger to be equally effective as the anti-nausea Rx).

Old 07-01-2017, 09:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Poppycock.

Giving vaccines is prevention.

Lfestyle changes are at the core of the treatment of hypertension, diabetes, and cholesterol abnormalities.

Doctors tell patients to eat better and move more all the time. People just refuse to do it.

Nutrition may not be taught as named courses in medical school, but it is taught as an integral part of the treatment of diseases during residencies.

They do not "do alternative treatments" that have not been shown to "do" anything useful. If it works, it's not "alternative". It's just medicine.
Doctors take one nutrition course, last I heard. They are not trained in lifestyle changes, except for the rudimentary things we all know, anyway.

Doctors are mainly trained about pharmaceuticals.

Example 1: Someone who is pre-diabetic or even in the early stages of diabetes type 2 can totally change that without medication. I doubt there is more than a handful of doctors who will tell a patient that and insist they try that, and I doubt most diabetic people know that. It's just easier to prescribe pills, and later, insulin shots. (This doesn't mean the dr doesn't give the patient a flyer about healthy living, but that's not what I'm talking about.)

The excessive use of medications is one reason health care costs have gotten so high. No one makes money if you walk every day and drop 50 pounds and give up white foods and junk food to get rid of diabetes.

Example 2: How many times has a dr insisted you get a test or take a drug that is free? Vs how many times a dr has insisted you need a test that is pricey or a drug that is pricey?

Drugs do wonderful things and serve a purpose. After all else fails. And THAT is not what a dr will tell you. They aren't trained for it, and some don't believe it. They believe in phamaceuticals.

As for alternative treatments, I put that out there for those who have an interest in that. Yes, there are alternative treatments. Dropping 50 pounds and walking 2 miles every day, come rain or shine, is an alternative treatment for diabetes type 2. And it will cause diabetes to go away in the early stages, unlike pills.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:22 PM

Example 1: I am pre-diabetic. Once again, I eat super healthy, not over weight... just another one of those things with me. Doctor has not discussed meds once, just discussed lifestyle changes that may help and we are playing by ear.

Example 2: Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness