Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 AM

252 posts, read 390,748 times

Advertisements

I always keep a set of "Surgical Booties" by my door...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:31 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
I always keep a set of "Surgical Booties" by my door...
WOW! You seriously need to get a life. "Surgical Booties"? You obviously work in a hospital and are taking hospital sterile procedures way too far.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Please don't ever visit any homes owned by Asians, or visit Asia. It is the norm to remove shoes as a sign of respect when you enter a home.

Shoes are not worn in buddhist temples and the foot is not shown to others or statues of the buddha.
Ahhh, I do make a distinction between cultural norms and egocentric persons. In my over 25 years in the moving and storage business, I have been in the residences of many Asian persons who understood that I had a job to do and respected my necessity to do my job efficiently and safely. In the 12 years that I was doing moving estimates, I rarely had a "shoes off" issue with Asian shippers who also realized I had a job to do and needed to be inside, outside and all around their residence and that if I was injured on their premises, I would sue for monetary damages and mess up their move. Those are the jobs I usually walked away from as "an accident waiting to happen".

Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Unfortunately, you haven't always been speaking of entering people's homes in "working mode." You talked about entering people's homes at any time and not respecting their wishes. I believe you also did some denigrating of people who prefer others not wear shoes in their homes.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Unfortunately, you haven't always been speaking of entering people's homes in "working mode." You talked about entering people's homes at any time and not respecting their wishes. I believe you also did some denigrating of people who prefer others not wear shoes in their homes.
Nooo, should you read my posts on this thread, you will see that I do make a distinction between work and social "modes". No, I don't denigrate people who prefer others not to wear shoes in their residences, I vote with my "shoes" and leave, noting the reason for my hasty departure, which I have elected to perform many times in the past and expect to do so in the future. At 61 years of age, yes I was at Woodstock in 1969, I don't do PC, make excuses and/or kiss peoples' collective asses for a lack of genuflecting to their egocentric personalities and phobias.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I respect people's rules and if I don't agree or can't bend to their peculiarities, I vote with my feet and leave, but I will always tell the person or persons why I'm leaving because, well, I'm just that kind of a "cards on the table" guy, like it or not. I'm 61 years old, I don't make excuses for my actions or lack there of, and I don't kiss ass because it's not PC and I might hurt someone's fragile ego.
Good post from you too, and one to which I can relate because we're only a couple of years apart in age! I used to be the Queen of Excuses/PC'ness (way before that term was even thought of) but somewhere around my late 40s I managed to break out of that mode. Not completely, but compared to the way I was, it's practically an epiphany! :-) Anyway, on topic: When I have left someone's house because of cigarette smoking, I just say that since I have a 'health issue with cigarette smoke' I have to leave but I always thank them for the invitation, let's get together soon for lunch or dinner out instead, etc etc. What I meant by 'polite and gracious' was, I don't take on a 'holier-than-thou' attitude just because they allow smoking in their house. :-)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
Good post from you too, and one to which I can relate because we're only a couple of years apart in age! I used to be the Queen of Excuses/PC'ness (way before that term was even thought of) but somewhere around my late 40s I managed to break out of that mode. Not completely, but compared to the way I was, it's practically an epiphany! :-) Anyway, on topic: When I have left someone's house because of cigarette smoking, I just say that since I have a 'health issue with cigarette smoke' I have to leave but I always thank them for the invitation, let's get together soon for lunch or dinner out instead, etc etc. What I meant by 'polite and gracious' was, I don't take on a 'holier-than-thou' attitude just because they allow smoking in their house. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard
I respect people's rules and if I don't agree or can't bend to their peculiarities, I vote with my feet and leave, but I will always tell the person or persons why I'm leaving because, well, I'm just that kind of a "cards on the table" guy, like it or not. I'm 61 years old, I don't make excuses for my actions or lack there of, and I don't kiss ass because it's not PC and I might hurt someone's fragile ego.
Thanks and a tip of the Hatlo Hat (old comic strip!). No. I don't do a "holier-than-thou" attitude, I believe in being "up front and personal" and not make silly PC excuses that makes me look like a goof and degrades my status as a man, notice I didn't say "person", that's PC. I'm mostly of Italian heritage and learned early in my formative years the you have to give respect to earn respect, otherwise my father would perform some "registrazione di atteggiamento" (attitude adjustment) to remind me of my duties and responsibilities as a man. I generally needed only one "attitude adjustment" to get the message and correct the errors of my ways.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Well, you did get one fact right, I do live in a 4th floor apartment. The rest of your post is sheer BS! My house (apartment) rules are that I have no rules, other than to please call or email me that you'll be visiting on a certain date/time to confirm I'll be at home to receive you, and this is a non-smoking building. Drop-ins are always welcomed and if I'm in the shower, bathroom or bed, they're smart enough to deal with the situation. My children have keys to my apartment building and apartment and I don't expect "call aheads" from them or family. People are very comfortable visiting my apartment and note that they wish I had a bigger apartment. I was wrong, with all due respect, you are an egalitarian elitist and I'll bet that you're a Republican, tow the right wingnut line, voted for Bush and will vote for McCain or not because McCain is not conservative enough for your superior attitudes.
You seem to be a little off-track. I am happy to hear that you allow your guests a wide range of liberties when they visit. I don't really see the connection between politics and requiring able guests to remove their footwear when they visit my home.

In any case, we seem to agree that, when making a social call, you are free to leave any residence where the house rules are unacceptable to you. I'm sorry that you do not agree with my requirements for my guests, I suppose I won't anticipate you visiting anytime soon. Guess I'll give away those size 12 house slippers I just ran out and bought.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,598 times
We always take our shoes off at home, and ask that our guests do as well. I don't want dirt and crap from outside, including pesticides, tracked all over our floors. Plus, we have animals, and they are always on the ground, often eating treats off the floor, etc. I don't want them to get sick from crap that's tracked in, either. So we have a shoes off policy.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:56 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Why do I look forward to coming home after a long tough day? Is it the comfy cushions on the sofa? The affectionate houseplants who have obligingly stayed alive in our apartment against all odds? The icy beer in the fridge? Yes, the beer, thats it. But the SECOND thing I look forward to is KICKING off my shoes, leaving 'em where they land, and roaming around feet au naturel. Unless it's winter.

I have HUGE feet, and hate shoes, wish I could take them off every time I visit someone. If you're in our apartment, leave your shoes on, take 'em off...but if your feet stink, we'll tell you about it!
I also go without shoes at work, which is a bit of a no-no OHS wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness