Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,167,202 times

Advertisements

I'm 62 and live on the 2nd floor of a condo complex with no elevator. I feel like my knees don't hurt as much since I've been going up and down for almost 4 years. However at this point in my life I don't think I would purchase a home with stairs. If you get to the point where you can't maneuver the stairs anymore and have to sell at a time when your health might not be so good, well that sounds like additional aggravation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:10 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,813,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You are in Dreamland, if you think climbing stairs every 15-minutes is a plan when you are 60.
At 63 I can do that -- climb stairs every 15 minutes -- but only because I've trained consistently to do it.

The stairs did not make me stronger, the training did. I'd say the OP might have it exactly backwards.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,561,763 times
I was still going to the gym in my mid 60's, but knees were starting to complain, right knee anyway same side as hip replacement at 72.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,856,337 times
Good lord! My parents are not athletic at all, but in good shape. They are 77 and live in a raised ranch and they use stairs daily with no issues - they can't get to the main living area any other way.

My grandmother lived to 93 in a house with stairs.

In my area of the country most of the houses have basements (of course not everyone uses theirs).

If it were me and I liked the place, I'd plan on living there if I was able to at that time. If not, have a Plan B.

My .02

Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,958,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My grandmother had ALS. Diagnosed around 1983 and lived until the age of 78 in 1997, so obviously, she had a slow progression of the disease. She had a high quality of life for many of years, needing only minimal accommodations at first (motorized chair to the basement etc), then living with my Aunt and Uncle in a 100 year old farmhouse, where they were able to convert what was originally the formal parlor into a bedroom for her. Somehow, even in that property, her standard sized wheelchair was able to maneuver through doors.

So much of these household accommodations really hinge on whether or not there is a bedroom or similarly sized room and a full bath on the first floor. If there is, it seems you can usually get by.

(1st sentence ) my wife was diagnosed with ALS in March of 2011 and died Thanksgiving morning of 2013.

From a slight speech problem to totally paralyzed in just 2 years 8 months.

Glad we got everything ready early on .

Old 07-08-2017, 10:57 AM

49,980 posts, read 63,301,795 times
It will be all about your knees. I would continue with your plan to move there. When the time gets closer, you'll have a better idea.

I'm 69 and my knees are shot. I could not do it. My dh is 67 and he could. He has an aunt and uncle in their eighties who live in a multi story home, hanging off a mountain in Asheville, and they still go up and down the stairs multiple times a day. In fact, that is their main form of exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness