Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 AM

118 posts, read 152,909 times

Advertisements

So in the ongoing saga of my thyroid issues, my primary believes I have something like Hashimotos after seeing my ultrasound results that revealed a minor goiter with multiple nodules. He is running thyroid antibody tests and some others now.

But in the last few days I have developed a constant chest pain and feeling like I am being strangled. It feels like something is being ripped from my chest when I cough. And I have a cough, btw. My neck is in so much pain and I usually have to lay down multiple times of day.

When I went in to my appointment yesterday my heart rate was 150 and I was gasping for air. I ended up being put on a beta blocker because my doctor says the thyroid issues could be causing this. Last night I took the beta blocker and it helped slightly with the chest pain. By the end of the night, though, I went through a bag of throat lozenges (I have a constant strep throat feeling sore throat as well) and had ice packs on my neck and chest. It was really hard to fall asleep. Today I am fairly certain the pain is going to progress to that again because it is already feeling that way. I sent a message to my primary to ask about pain relief options while I am on beta blockers.

Anyway, has anyone else dealt with this in thyroid issues? I am really feeling like this is getting serious with the possible involvement of my heart and the constant chest pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not symptoms like you have but I had multinodular goiter. It was treated by swallowing radioactive iodine: thyroid is only tissue that takes up iodine. I felt nothing at all! It killed my thyroid so now I am on replacement pills. No more problems.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 AM

118 posts, read 152,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not symptoms like you have but I had multinodular goiter. It was treated by swallowing radioactive iodine: thyroid is only tissue that takes up iodine. I felt nothing at all! It killed my thyroid so now I am on replacement pills. No more problems.
So... did they take your thyroid out or do you just have a dead thyroid in your neck?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Find a really really qualified MD before thinking about removing thyroid.

Short story, a friend listened to one of her docs and sucked on Tums daily to get her daily calcium requirement, so says the doc. This daily Tums caused deposits on her thyroid and then she listened to another doc and agreed to have most of her thyroid removed. She lost a lot of her voice and now realizes all the info given her was wrong.

I'd venture to say, SO MANY pop those tums on a regular basis.

I thought a simple antibody test showed the Hashi issue. Think it was a TPO test I had done by an integrative MD yrs ago..my numbers were elevated.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticloud View Post
So... did they take your thyroid out or do you just have a dead thyroid in your neck?
Dead thyroid. Why risk major surgery to remove something not causing trouble?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Dead thyroid. Why risk major surgery to remove something not causing trouble?
Yep.

The whole idea of using radioactive iodine is to avoid surgery.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Find a really really qualified MD before thinking about removing thyroid.

Short story, a friend listened to one of her docs and sucked on Tums daily to get her daily calcium requirement, so says the doc. This daily Tums caused deposits on her thyroid and then she listened to another doc and agreed to have most of her thyroid removed. She lost a lot of her voice and now realizes all the info given her was wrong.

I'd venture to say, SO MANY pop those tums on a regular basis.

I thought a simple antibody test showed the Hashi issue. Think it was a TPO test I had done by an integrative MD yrs ago..my numbers were elevated.
1. Nope....the info given YOU was wrong

Tums "do not cause calcium deposits in the thyroid"....not even REMOTELY possible

You continually make this same claim regarding the same story and it is UTTER NONSENSE

"Researchers haven't identified any direct links between calcium intake (via food or supplements) and soft tissue accumulation"
Calcium beyond the bones - Harvard Health

2. Why is it important to be aggressive with thyroid calcifications?

This study suggests that ultrasound features of microcalcifications, solid nodule and size larger than 2 cm can be used to identify patients at high risk for thyroid cancer. In contrast, other studies have shown that ultrasound features such as coarse calcifications, more tall than wide, irregular borders and increased blood flow within the nodule can be helpful to identify thyroid cancer. Currently, the American Thyroid Association guidelines recommends to perform a FNAB of solid nodules >1 cm and nodules >0.5 cm only when they have suspicious features detected by ultrasound.
https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyr...issue-1-p-6-7/

So to review.....correlation DOES NOT equal causation....

Because your friend "sucked on Tums daily" does NOT mean it had ANYTHING to do with her thyroid calcifications....in fact there IS NO EVIDENCE OF SUCH A LINK

Thyroid calcifications are commonly seen with thyroid CANCER hence the need for excision....

You can keep telling the same Tums story over and over and I will keep shooting it down because it is NONSENSE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness