Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:22 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

This is a weird one. My BP is pretty consistently 104/70 to 127/72, that's the readings I get on my BP monitor, on my husband's and the one at CVS. But when I went to the dentist yesterday they took my BP with a wrist monitor and said that my BP was 145/100, I told them that was crazy, that my BP has never been that high so they took it again, the second time it was 145/93. They said that was good enough for them to proceed with the cleaning but that if when I return to have the rest of the work done they won't do it unless my diastolic is under 100.

Have you ever encountered anything like this? I didn't have any anxiety and that would usually affect systolic anyway, right? I am a female with very small wrists, so small that most ladies watch bands are too big for me. Would that make a difference?

I'm not sure what I should do, I guess I could take my BP monitor with me when I go back but there's probably no way to prove mine is right and theirs is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Both your monitors are right, is my guess. That's called "white coat syndrome" when your BP goes up much higher in a doctor visit.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Wrist monitors tend to record higher readings.

"Even then, blood pressure measurements taken at the wrist are usually higher and less accurate than those taken at your upper arm."

Wrist blood pressure monitors: Are they accurate? - Mayo Clinic

Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Both your monitors are right, is my guess. That's called "white coat syndrome" when your BP goes up much higher in a doctor visit.
I guess..but I've never in my life been nervous about having my teeth cleaned, in fact I kind of enjoy having my teeth cleaned.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
It's anxiety plain and simple as far as I'm concerned. Going to any doc or dentist can do this. Who likes to go to these in general?

Old 07-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's anxiety plain and simple as far as I'm concerned. Going to any doc or dentist can do this. Who likes to go to these in general?
It never is high when my doctor checks it..so I dunno if that's the explanation, I'm more inclined to think it's their BP monitor.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is a weird one. My BP is pretty consistently 104/70 to 127/72, that's the readings I get on my BP monitor, on my husband's and the one at CVS. But when I went to the dentist yesterday they took my BP with a wrist monitor and said that my BP was 145/100, I told them that was crazy, that my BP has never been that high so they took it again, the second time it was 145/93. They said that was good enough for them to proceed with the cleaning but that if when I return to have the rest of the work done they won't do it unless my diastolic is under 100.

Have you ever encountered anything like this? I didn't have any anxiety and that would usually affect systolic anyway, right? I am a female with very small wrists, so small that most ladies watch bands are too big for me. Would that make a difference?

I'm not sure what I should do, I guess I could take my BP monitor with me when I go back but there's probably no way to prove mine is right and theirs is wrong.
I'm a bit confused.. BP is always taken at "Brachial artery" level ( at your elbow) so how did YOU take your BP? Simply you cannot compare Radial ( wrist BP) to Brachial ( mid arm) at all! Brachial artery is more than twice the size and volume of blood flow.. Wrist or radial flow is minimal. Also, I noted that your have no understanding on BP readings. Systolic ( upper #) is the resistance of your arteries when your heart ( Left side) pumps to go out to the body.. The diastolic is the # that reflects the pressure of your arteries when at rest. The diastolic # is the biggest concern to medical folks .. the systolic if upwards of 200 or more then becomes a concern too!

The only way to get a true pressure is with an internal catheter inserted into your artery closer to your heart.. and that's only used when in an ICU. I would also suggest to get your equipment checked for calibrations. OTC BP stuff isn't necessarily calibrated much less accurate! OTC is meant to screen only.. not diagnosis. Did you get an ECG?? What was your Heart Rate?? Sorry, guess I have too many questions 45 years in Acute/ER/ICU/Coronary Unit care has caused me to desire the details , history in order to suggest anything.

Do you have family history?.. what's your Cholesterol Levels .. try doing some research on red flags to watch for when it comes to BP. How old are you? Age also comes into play.. As you age the old pipes can become more problematic!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
It never is high when my doctor checks it..so I dunno if that's the explanation, I'm more inclined to think it's their BP monitor.
When I get a higher reading, I request doctor to do a reading a couple more times...it always comes down. I would not be concerned if you always have good readings. Meters can all give different readings too. All the years I went to dentists, BP never was taken. Maybe they are getting more paranoid about their patients. I was seeing a chiro last year and they took my reading every time I went. Also, new to me.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm a bit confused.. BP is always taken at "Brachial artery" level ( at your elbow) so how did YOU take your BP? Simply you cannot compare Radial ( wrist BP) to Brachial ( mid arm) at all! Brachial artery is more than twice the size and volume of blood flow.. Wrist or radial flow is minimal. Also, I noted that your have no understanding on BP readings. Systolic ( upper #) is the resistance of your arteries when your heart ( Left side) pumps to go out to the body.. The diastolic is the # that reflects the pressure of your arteries when at rest. The diastolic # is the biggest concern to medical folks .. the systolic if upwards of 200 or more then becomes a concern too!

The only way to get a true pressure is with an internal catheter inserted into your artery closer to your heart.. and that's only used when in an ICU. I would also suggest to get your equipment checked for calibrations. OTC BP stuff isn't necessarily calibrated much less accurate! OTC is meant to screen only.. not diagnosis. Did you get an ECG?? What was your Heart Rate?? Sorry, guess I have too many questions 45 years in Acute/ER/ICU/Coronary Unit care has caused me to desire the details , history in order to suggest anything.

Do you have family history?.. what's your Cholesterol Levels .. try doing some research on red flags to watch for when it comes to BP. How old are you? Age also comes into play.. As you age the old pipes can become more problematic!
I take my BP with a Panasonic monitor that is rated quite high for accuracy. I put the cuff one inch above my elbow. I'm not sure of the brand of my husband's monitor but it works like mine does. The dentist uses a wrist monitor.
I'm 70 and very active. My resting pulse rate is around 68-70, it was 60 when I was younger. I'm not overweight. I go to Kaiser and for some reason my lab results only list LDL which is 87. I had an ECG about 5 years ago, it was fine. My dad died during a cardiac catheterization at 66, he was being evaluated for aortic valve replacement. My doctor takes my BP in both arms, standing and sitting. It's always pretty much the same. He said it's excellent for my age.

I would get my BP monitor calibrated but the numbers match my husband's which is a different brand and is also within a few points of the reading I get at CVS. My concern is what do I do if I go back to the dentist and their monitor shows me with a diastolic of 100 in which case they won't work on my teeth? Should I bring my BP monitor, take pictures of the results at CVS? Get a letter from my doctor?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:50 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:

Your monitor is right and theirs is worthless.

I got absurd readings with a wrist BP monitor at a dentist's office. 168/120. Not "white coat" either. Cardiologist's office, when I was going to EECP therapy sessions, home BP monitor, supermarket BP chair, all agree -- typically 107/66 or so. I told the dentist that reading was ridiculous, he commented someone else said the same thing. That type of equipment is junk.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness