Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I work in healthcare. I learn very interesting and important things by listening to the whole list of ills and listening about ones life. Often there are old injuries or illnesses that do, or can, impact the current condition. And by listening to people tell me about their life, I sometimes get insight on what approaches to offer that will make the most sense to a person.
When I spent those 4.5 months in rehabs I asked the health care support people about their lives and they loved to talk about their country of origin and so much more. Made them feel important. Lots of wisdom in aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,335,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Wonder why OP is hanging around a Health and Wellness group where understandably the majority of posts will be medical complaints?
Because OP (me) has been spending 10-12 hours/day for the last week in a hospital.

And it was an observation, not a complaint.

I can feel bad for someone who CHOOSES a profession. It's not like they chose every aspect of a job.
I feel bad for the cops who get thrown up on by a drug abuser (saw that happen this week) even though they chose to be cops.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:07 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Because OP (me) has been spending 10-12 hours/day for the last week in a hospital.

And it was an observation, not a complaint.

I can feel bad for someone who CHOOSES a profession. It's not like they chose every aspect of a job.
I feel bad for the cops who get thrown up on by a drug abuser (saw that happen this week) even though they chose to be cops.
I can see you are backing down a little, but read your original post: you did write it as a complaint and then later went on the say seniors should stop living in the past. I think you are realizing you came across as a young person with not much compassion and certainly no patience for the elderly people. BTW, I was talking to my granddaughter yesterday and she assured me, the complaining about every ache and pain has little or nothing to do with age. She hears it from young and old. In some cases more from the young cause they spend so much time on the net trying to diagnose themselves. Then they come in to the ER or doctors office and think everything in the world is or could be wrong with them.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM

If I seem like I am backing down then No, I am not.

I still stand behind everything I wrote, regardless of how you read or comprehend it.

(IMHO, Living in the past is a waste of time, boring and unproductive.)

Just left the hospital for lunch. I have been seeing things that make me sick. Not the staff at all but the patients who really need psych care far more than physical care. It's not right to speak about specific people, especially when they are vulnerable so I won't go into details. Suffice it to say I STILL feel bad for healthcare workers.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:16 PM

16,012 posts, read 21,025,382 times
Quote:
Made them feel important.
Never have, and probably never will, understand why some people have such a desire for 'feeling important'. I see it all over the forum, "I go to this doctor or shop at that store because they make me feel important or special". Why? I'm happy enough to go in, take care of my business in a competent and pleasant manner and go. Maybe I'm missing some 'important' gene?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,853,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Never have, and probably never will, understand why some people have such a desire for 'feeling important'. I see it all over the forum, "I go to this doctor or shop at that store because they make me feel important or special". Why? I'm happy enough to go in, take care of my business in a competent and pleasant manner and go. Maybe I'm missing some 'important' gene?
See I would interpret that as just feeling like you are listened to. I feel like my primary care doctor just blows me off. She is very nice but if I were to ask for a pill she would give it to me, if I tell her I have a specific problem she blows it off. I would love to change but it is very difficult to get an appointment here as a new patient.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
Quote:
I've been sitting with a friend in the hospital and there are a number of elderly patients in and out. OMG! They feel the need to give complete life stories along with a list of medical procedures to everyone who makes eye contact.
At what point do we not realize that no one is interested?
I see these poor nurses, aides, cleaners etc politely listening while looking for a way out
I can only hope I don't do that, maybe it's unavoidable.

I read your original post and you say you sit with a friend for hours. I gather your friend is youngish and doesn't complain. I too hope you don't become like the old do.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM

14,891 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
What?
Try to.read.what I wrote and don't put your own spin on it
The healthcare workers have been VERY kind.
I feel.bad for them when a patient has a me, me, me attitude and assumes everyone in earshot wants to hear their complete med history.
These are NOT conversations, they are not interesting, they are self centered lectures of laundry lists that make people look at their watch.
Try to keep up buttercup
Most of the time when I've had conversations with healthcare workers when they were working on me, or a family member, or had a few minutes to spare, we talked about their issues/interests, and I've always felt honored that they shared these things with me.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I read your original post and you say you sit with a friend for hours. I gather your friend is youngish and doesn't complain. I too hope you don't become like the old do.
I think I suffer from the same delusion many older people have, not feeling old!
I'm only able to.spend so.much time there because I don't have to be at a job. Yup, I'm an old guy. If I worked I could never get that much time off!

Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,767,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know about everyone, but many of the people I interact with, it isn't about being important, per se.

It seems to be about somebody caring, or somebody knowing that they are more than a diagnosis, that they have a life, that they contributed (and many want to get back to that). Or, if they've been hospitalized a very long time, they seem to enjoy reminiscing (long term acute care hospitals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness