Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,518 times

Advertisements

I've been sitting with a friend in the hospital and there are a number of elderly patients in and out. OMG! They feel the need to give complete life stories along with a list of medical procedures to everyone who makes eye contact.
At what point do we not realize that no one is interested?
I see these poor nurses, aides, cleaners etc politely listening while looking for a way out
I can only hope I don't do that, maybe it's unavoidable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:17 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
StuartGotts: Living long lives one deserves a purple heart medal. I just spent 4.5 months in hospitals/rehabs for a undetected staph infection for too long and I would talk to anyone who would listen. A young CNA at one rehab listened and she knew right away,,,it's a staph infection, but she had her hands tied to mention it to doctors and I didn't know to push her to talk for me.

If you live long enough, you'll have stories.

I'm a very healthy almost 79 with main complaint, arthritis. Me and millions of others. I am of the thinking many issues are caused by the drugs many take and then one leads to another one and another one. A vicious cycle.

People are living longer and more and more older people are in these rehabs homes hospitals, etc...so health care people need to get used to that. Old people are giving them a lot of their jobs....I had enough "poor attitude" CNA's in the rehabs. It's not a fun job and they should not be in it if they can't take it.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Well, I can say from my experience here that this is the best hospital I've ever been in. Haven't come across a single nasty person. Everyone I've encountered has been caring and professional. They listen and interact with compassion.
I just think at some point you have to be honest with yourself, stop living in the past and ask a question once in a while. Listing every ailment isn't a conversation, it's a lecture.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Well, wait until you get old...I gather you are pretty young. Old people have a lot of life to talk about and they love to share it with those who will listen.

I'm glad you had a good hospital experience, the rehabs are another story.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I've been sitting with a friend in the hospital and there are a number of elderly patients in and out. OMG! They feel the need to give complete life stories along with a list of medical procedures to everyone who makes eye contact.
At what point do we not realize that no one is interested?
I see these poor nurses, aides, cleaners etc politely listening while looking for a way out
I can only hope I don't do that, maybe it's unavoidable.
I can't really believe you posted something like this. Of course elderly people often like to give everyone a run down of their illnesses, surgeries and overall health and yes, many of us, even those who are elderly do have to listen to others carry on, but you know what? I have heard many younger people talk strangers ears off about all sorts of things, including health issues. Life is full of accepting things we really don't like. Many of us wonder why young people have green hair or tattoos everywhere. We wonder why wear 10 pair of ear rings or think the dirtier the language is, the better they sound or they complain about bills, the police, etc. Are you getting what I am saying? Please have some compassion. Our granddaughter is a nurse practitioner, you have no idea the stories she hears but she also understands that is part of her job and many of her patients are very young.

I am sure if you go back and read your post you will realize how insensitive you sound and I am sure you really are not that way.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 PM

I find it undignified to complain constantly and my point is, at what point do you stop caring about having a conversation and choose to make every encounter about your problems? Personally, I'd rather suffer in silence.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I find it undignified to complain constantly and my point is, at what point do you stop caring about having a conversation and choose to make every encounter about your problems? Personally, I'd rather suffer in silence.

Well, you are not anyone else and NOT everyone constantly complains. You are generalizing IMO. I don't know where dignity comes into play.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
I have to agree with OP here. Complaining patients not only cause healthcare worker burnout, but are equally bad for themselves:

"...not only does expressing negativity tend not to make us feel better, it's also catching, making listeners feel worse."

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...ence-says.html

Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times
Quote:
I'll chime in to say I totally agree with this and your other posts.

Where I hear the stories is when I'm trying to shop for my groceries, etc. and old people are standing in the way talking about some pretty personal, and frankly gross, stuff. Loudly!

They are oblivious to the fact that others are just trying to get their stuff and maybe read a food label or two. To me they are rude. I am 60 and do not and will not talk about such matters in public, especially to a person who is not a part of my life; such as a person I run into at the grocery store once in a blue moon.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:22 PM

I'm so thrilled all you younger generation are so tolerant of people like your parents and grandparents. I hope you all make it to older age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness