U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,786,663 times

Advertisements

Are the fingers of a highly hydrated person resistant to pruning in water?

You know the phenomenon of being in the water for a long period of time, swimming, bathing, washing dishes, and your fingers get pruney? Well my fingers get pruney sometimes, I especially remember it in childhood. But most of my adult life I've been vigilant about drinking plenty of water every day. My daughter was comparing our fingers in the swimming pool a few days ago. We'd both spent hours in the pool together, and her fingers were pruney but mine weren't.

This isn't the first time I've noticed my fingers don't prune when I'm abundantly hydrated. I even recall reading about this phenomenon years ago. But now when consulting the internet, it's replete with scientific studies showing that pruney fingers are the body's natural adaptation for increasing grip ability with wet hands. Sure that may be true, but nowhere online can I find the study that a very hydrated person's fingers won't prune in water.

I did however find some anecdotes regarding Cambodian people whose fingers never prune in water. No indication that they're more hydrated than any other race, people were speculating that Cambodians may have thicker skin than other races. But that's another topic.

Do you have any insights to this matter? Are the fingers of a highly hydrated person resistant to pruning in water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,522,219 times
You may have fingertip nerve damage (e.g. a peripheral neuropathy). The wrinkling is achieved by vasoconstriction (directed by the nervous system) under the skin in those locations. Your hydration level will have very little effect on that (as compared to the hydration level of a normally hydrated person).

Do you happen to have diabetes? That is associated with peripheral neuropathies.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:02 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,416,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You may have fingertip nerve damage (e.g. a peripheral neuropathy). The wrinkling is achieved by vasoconstriction (directed by the nervous system) under the skin in those locations. Your hydration level will have very little effect on that (as compared to the hydration level of a normally hydrated person).

Do you happen to have diabetes? That is associated with peripheral neuropathies.
Exactly right, this phenomenon can also be seen with carpal tunnel syndrome severe and after nerve trauma..

The phenomenon has nothing to do with hydration, the skin isn't wrinkling due to absorption of water its a neurogenic process

Old Today, 06:14 PM

1 posts
Default Hmm...

Something seems off, because when I get dehydrated my fingers do prune (so I don't have nerve damage), but when I spend hours in a pool or hot tub they don't while everyone else's are. So, I am also curious as to why this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness