Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:20 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwunswer View Post
you are not my mother to tell me how to eat. I eat what i choose to eat because i can and it's not my fault i have kidney disease caused by high blood pressure in the first place.
You know, I am actually a little mad at myself for giving you adice. But I'm sure it helped someone else who is serious about their health. Exactly why did you come on here for help only to act like a child when someone gave you good advice.

Diet change and controlling your blood pressure is the "only" way you are going to change anything.
It's your fault your kidneys are the way they are...absolutely!

You could have changed your diet and followed the doctors reccomendation but you didn't. Your reponse above tells the story. You don't have cancer, or a debilitating disease that was brought on by circumstances beyond your control...you have someting you caused by a sedetary lifestyle and eating what ever you want and many other factors that could be involved (attitude). Unless you're going to try and tell me you have a rare hereditary kidney condition (that you've had CKD all you life); after telling us it's your diet and refusal to follow blood pressure guidelines; it is your fault that it is progressing. Never mind your family history that you should have taken very seriously

Modern conveniences and American diets are killing Americans. You must come to terms and accept that you are doing this to yourself. No one in your family "gave" you high blood pressure. It's a result of your lifestyle and mindset. It's true men have HBP more often than women. There's the person who smokes and eats what ever he wants with contrubing disease factors or habits that cause higher blood pressure. Kidney disease causes high blood pressure. One thing is connected to another.

"Such contextual dependence renders untenable the simplistic belief that there are coherent, long-lived entities called “genes” that dictate instructions to cellular machinery that merely constructs the body accordingly. The common belief that genes contain context-independent “information”—and so are analogous to “blueprints” or “recipes”—is simply false. (p. 81)" (The Tangled Tale of Genes and Environment: Moore's The Dependent Gene: The Fallacy of “nature VS. Nurture”)

All members of my family have some sort of heart disease and both my mother and grandmother died from it. Me...nothing. My brother won't live to see 70 from heart disease but of course he ate like them and had habits like them. I was raised away from them and have lived mostly a plant based diet for many decades and monitor my health. I don't smoke and I exercise when I am scheduled to do it no matter what. Nothing like my family at all but I was aware of their histories. Our environment has a lot to do with genes expressing themselves and of course us. When I had my CKD there were certain things I was doing and not aware that it was causing CKD...stopped it all; it wasn't easy but it worked.

Many things are handed down from genration to generaton; it's up to the indivudual to accept it or change it.

CKD causes high blood pressure. Also, it's not if; it's when....

Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times
Quote:
I don't want dialysis and that's the truth. I don't want to go through that process. I don't want kidney transplant.

What happens if someone denies dialysis? Can that person be put to sleep or something? I don't want to die a slow painful death. I am on stage 3 but I don't want to make the condition worse but it will still happen no matter what. It's like some idiot in my parents' family had high blood pressure and that's why I had it since age 12. And because I was too young for it to be treated with medication my doctor said back then, that's why I ended up with kidney disease.

I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS STUPID disease that in reality is the fault of the idiot of my parents' family member who ended up causing me to have high blood pressure. Thanks to that idiot I am going to die younger than I should have lasted. The first thing I will do when meeting this person in the afterlife is smack him or her across the face. Why? Because I can. It's a spiritual slap across the face, so that means no physical human being will be able to stop me from that. That's like trying to fight the wind, you can't box the wind so SHUT UP.
Respectfully, I would ask you to please consider talking to a therapist about your anger -- if for no other reason than to exert some control over your blood pressure. It can't be good to be that angry over genetics that you have no control over. Not to say that you don't have reason to be disappointed at the card that Fate has dealt you, but to read your anger about slapping family members in the afterlife because they 'gave' you this problem -- why not just reach back to your grandparents, your great-grandparents, etc.? I'm 100% certain that your parents didn't deliberately bestow you with high blood pressure.

You can certainly decline dialysis. Generally, dialysis kicks in when your kidneys have less than 15% function. Dialysis is not a picnic, but it IS life-extending. Depending on your circumstances, you can have an at-home dialysis regimen, or you may opt to go to a dialysis center three days a week, for approximately 4-6 hours each time.

My dad had kidney disease that was diagnosed when he was in his 60's. He very much wanted a kidney transplant, but was crushed when he was not a candidate, due to a few episodes of pre-cancerous polyps in his bladder. His doctors kept a close eye on his kidney's deterioration (no reason, not diabetic or high blood pressure, just third-rate kidneys, apparently). Five years later, they installed a port, because his kidney effectiveness had dropped below 20%, and it was only a matter of time before they hit 15%. It was another year before he had to go on dialysis. He hated it, but it kept him alive another 10 years, 10 years of time to see his grandchildren grow, to sell his business and help consult with it for a few years, ten more years with his beloved wife. He became timid about traveling, especially as he got in his 70s, so that was something that he truly missed, plus the dietary restrictions that come with kidney disease.

The last year of his life was difficult -- he fell and broke a hip, had post-operative cognitive disorder that was exacerbated by dialysis (his body couldn't throw off the anesthesia easily), and eventually developed Parkinson's and Lewy body dementia -- also not related to the dialysis. One day, he went into dialysis and they were unable to administer it, due to his very low blood pressure. At that point, the decision was made to halt dialysis. He died a week later -- he was alert and content, and one evening, he went to sleep and a couple of days later, he died peacefully.

There's a lot of things you say you don't want. What DO you want? Medicine can't wave a magic wand and cure your kidneys yet. Dialysis wasn't invented until the mid 1940's - before then, kidney disease was a death sentence, where you became weaker and weaker until you slipped away, and the first kidney transplant wasn't until the 50's. Meanwhile, I'd encourage you to seek a second opinion if you don't have faith in your doctor's management of your condition.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:15 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Hey Op.

I got it in my 30's. Was told the same thing. My filtration rate was plunging. My job promised to be unhelpful. Like you, I totally stressed out. Your kidneys do a lot. In terms of nutrition, there are 4-5 things to avoid.

1. Sodium - Reducing sodium is a must for everyone. By reducing, I mean, go crazy on avoiding this. What that means is that your lifestyle changes. You can't eat in restaurants. Skip the frozen aisle at the grocery store....outside of frozen vegetables with no seasoning there's nothing you can eat. If you don't make your own food, get started. I'm happy to give recipes if you'd like. It also knocks out things like flour tortillas, many types of bread and most cheese.

2. Potassium - Yes, it's good for reducing muscle cramps and whatnot, but your body can't process it as well anymore. You need to be careful of this when looking at things that used to be healthy like bananas, milk or potatoes. Also be careful of processed foods that lowered their salt by adding potassium sulfates instead.

3. Phosphorous - This knocks out things like nuts or....my hardest one...chocolate. Beans goes in one of these but I forget which.

4. Protein - Meat by itself isn't bad, but when the body breaks it down.....you get a lot of potassium and phosphorous. Limit your meat portions.

5. Liquids - There's a fine tradeoff here. Drink water, but if you're not getting it out, you're going to have to ration it.

Also, certain medications are no good for the kidneys. Taking OTC painkillers or cold medicines...think twice? Also, CKD has a crappy cousin called gout that can show up, so make sure you're uric acid level is being monitored. Gout's extremely painful. Oh, and don't even think of drinking away your sorrow....that's gone too.

However, before you change your life, know you're just stage 3. You need to watch yourself closely and take steps, but you've still got an ability to put this into check. Also, it's important to work with your doctor to figure out what THEY want you to limit. The rationale makes a lot of sense to me now, though I disagreed with it at first. The rationale was that if you start with just limiting sodium, and you're able to arrest the decline, then you still have a lot more food that you can still eat once in awhile.

Personally, I went crazy on it. I didn't know how to cook before and I was too terrified to eat much. Dropped a bunch of weight eating washed kale and really gross stuff, but it wasn't enough to keep me going. Yet after leaving my job, my stress level dropped. My filtration chart looks like a big Nike swoosh. Can never party like a rock star again, but I've learned to live in a range that works.

Get your team together. Get your plan together. Just do it.

PS. Texas is a great place for a replacement. All kidney donor hopefuls should be happy with the State's defense of freedom in the combined forms of drive-in liquor stores and motorcyclists that don't need to wear helmets. God bless Texas.

Good luck

Old 07-24-2017, 01:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Hey Op.

I got it in my 30's. Was told the same thing. My filtration rate was plunging. My job promised to be unhelpful. Like you, I totally stressed out. Your kidneys do a lot. In terms of nutrition, there are 4-5 things to avoid.

1. Sodium - Reducing sodium is a must for everyone. By reducing, I mean, go crazy on avoiding this. What that means is that your lifestyle changes. You can't eat in restaurants. Skip the frozen aisle at the grocery store....outside of frozen vegetables with no seasoning there's nothing you can eat. If you don't make your own food, get started. I'm happy to give recipes if you'd like. It also knocks out things like flour tortillas, many types of bread and most cheese.

2. Potassium - Yes, it's good for reducing muscle cramps and whatnot, but your body can't process it as well anymore. You need to be careful of this when looking at things that used to be healthy like bananas, milk or potatoes. Also be careful of processed foods that lowered their salt by adding potassium sulfates instead.

3. Phosphorous - This knocks out things like nuts or....my hardest one...chocolate. Beans goes in one of these but I forget which.

4. Protein - Meat by itself isn't bad, but when the body breaks it down.....you get a lot of potassium and phosphorous. Limit your meat portions.

5. Liquids - There's a fine tradeoff here. Drink water, but if you're not getting it out, you're going to have to ration it.

Also, certain medications are no good for the kidneys. Taking OTC painkillers or cold medicines...think twice? Also, CKD has a crappy cousin called gout that can show up, so make sure you're uric acid level is being monitored. Gout's extremely painful. Oh, and don't even think of drinking away your sorrow....that's gone too.

However, before you change your life, know you're just stage 3. You need to watch yourself closely and take steps, but you've still got an ability to put this into check. Also, it's important to work with your doctor to figure out what THEY want you to limit. The rationale makes a lot of sense to me now, though I disagreed with it at first. The rationale was that if you start with just limiting sodium, and you're able to arrest the decline, then you still have a lot more food that you can still eat once in awhile.

Personally, I went crazy on it. I didn't know how to cook before and I was too terrified to eat much. Dropped a bunch of weight eating washed kale and really gross stuff, but it wasn't enough to keep me going. Yet after leaving my job, my stress level dropped. My filtration chart looks like a big Nike swoosh. Can never party like a rock star again, but I've learned to live in a range that works.

Get your team together. Get your plan together. Just do it.

PS. Texas is a great place for a replacement. All kidney donor hopefuls should be happy with the State's defense of freedom in the combined forms of drive-in liquor stores and motorcyclists that don't need to wear helmets. God bless Texas.

Good luck
Great advice but rather lost on our op with his attitude =

Quote:
I EAT what I want to eat what other people EAT because they CHOOSE to eat it and nothing will stop me from EATING what I want to EAT because it's MY CHOICE and not MY FAULT I have high blood pressure plus kidney disease SO DO NOT TELL ME WHAT TO EAT, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:19 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I can understand being angry when you discover that sometimes life just isn't 'fair' and that you've been dealt a lousy hand at an age when life should be great.
You're right, in that your condition isn't your 'fault'.
But, letting it...no... causing it...to get worse will be only your fault.
Delaying advancing to a different stage is possible most times. You say you had the best doctor. I think a lot of us would question that if you were just given up on...unless she did it because you were non-compliant, which you do make it sound like in your posts here.
Of course you can refuse to do what would help now and wait until your kidneys stop functioning entirely and then refuse dialysis.
Then, within not too long a period, you'll die.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
High blood pressure is not really hereditary. It usually is caused by what we eat, our lack of exercise, the putting on of too much weight. You cannot blame it on your parents, aunts, uncles, siblings.

I am sorry that you have kidney problems but it is not something to hate so much for and blame the world for. It happens. It happens to good people. Thank the Lord or whatever God you believe in that you are still alive every day. Not everyone is that fortunate. I have had 2 nephews die in the last year. One of cancer and one from a bad heart. Bad heart was probably a little hereditary but weighing almost 300 pounds and not doing anything to correct his eating habits have to be the real blame for the blockages that caused his death last month.

My family have members with kidney problems. My mom had diabetes but that does not mean I have to have diabetes. I had sisters that had kidney surgeries when they were in their 20s. My doctor told me as a preteen it was important for me to drink water and even said coke was not a bad thing as long as it wasn't diet and an everyday thing. He said keep it flowing with liquids.

My nephew Robbie who was 10 was diagnosed with a kidney disease that has a name a mile long, but what it does is basically harden the kidneys and make them not function. He was on dialysis for a few years before he got his first cadaver kidney. It failed and he had to go back on dialysis. A year later another transplant that also rejected within a few months. The drive for dialysis was a 3 hr drive so very costly and time consuming, but by the time he was 14 they had a portable at home dialysis that he could take even on vacations. Basically he had bags of fluid that he would microwave and then attach to the shunt in his abdomen. He had to wear it for 3 or 4 hours but could go anywhere he felt comfortable with it on . He was actually visiting me here in Florida when he got the call for the kidney in Indiana that worked for about 8 years. He went to college, did all the same things that people his age were doing. At age 24 this kidney began to show signs of failure. They nursed it till he had to go on dialysis . His brother was old enough to decide on his own to donate his kidney which matched perfectly so he got his 4th kidney. It has worked very well and Robbie has had a totally normal life. He just has to monitor it and take rejection meds. Robbie is now 45 and still working, living his life to the fullest.

You can't give up. You can't lay blame on anyone for your health problems. There is something that is causing your high blood pressure and you may have to adjust on how you are living to get it under control. Once it is under control, you should be fine. Even if it does get worse, it will not be the end of the world. You will adjust and dialysis is easier today than it used to be. Even if you do end up needing a kidney, life will get back to normal. Just hang in there. It is doable. Just need to change the hate and blame which adds to blood pressure elevation.

One other thing, are you taking any other drugs like tylenol, aleve, etc. or other prescribed drugs like a steroid for something that can cause elevated blood pressure?. Tylenol is hard on the kidneys and your liver so do not take often.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You can improve your health. Where there is life, there is hope.

Focus on good. Adopt healthy lifestyle habits (eat organic, drink filtered water, etc.)

Write out some positive affirmations, and say them daily.

Try EFT.

Don't give up.
don't give up is good advise, as for eating only organic and drinking filtered water is going a bit overboard don't you think? Well obviously you don't think so or you wouldn't have said that. More than anything heredity plays a roll in our overall health. My dad drank like a fish and he ate pretty much what he wanted. Finally at 93 it caught up with him. He hadn't really even had a serious health issue until he had a stroke at 92. His mom and sister lived to be in their 80s and 90s. My mom's family, out of 7 kids none of them saw the age 70 I don't think. Maybe one sister. My grandma did live to her mid 80s. None of them ever paid much attention to what they ate. People didn't until about 40 years ago. I, fortunately, apparently have my dad's genes. I do eat healthy but certainly not organic.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Can someone deny dialysis because I don't want it? I don't want a kidney transplant too? What I want to know is who is the fuker in my parents' family who gave me high blood pressure to start off with. If I die it's this person's fault whether he or she is still alive or not.
Are you for real? It is getting a little hard to believe anyone would have your attitude. I know a lot of people love to say "it isn't my fault" but you are going way overboard with it.

No it is not your fault you have kidney disease but if you do no want to take care of yourself and keep it from getting any worse, it is your fault.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
you are not my mother to tell me how to eat. I eat what i choose to eat because i can and it's not my fault i have kidney disease caused by high blood pressure in the first place.
Um, maybe we are not "your mother" but YOU asked for help. It's very easy for you to place the blame elsewhere so you can feel you don't have to do anything but the truth is that your high blood pressure is almost 100% sure that it's due to the crappy diet you're probably eating, which is very likely the same crappy diet your parents/family ate and what gave them their high blood pressure. It's really not a genetic thing unless it comes attached to some rare birth defect that was passed on, but even many birth defects have been traced to lack of key nutrients. If there's no birth defect involved and you just think it's "bad genes", those can only point to the possibility of us having certain conditions but it's OUR lifestyle what determines what's really going to happen, whether we get the illness or avoid it. So yeah, your diet choices, lack of exercise, etc., and even your angry (and immature) attitude have a lot to do with the high blood pressure that's causing your kidneys to fail. So you either buckle up and take responsibility for your health instead of expecting something/someone on the outside to "fix it", or resign yourself to die that slow painful death that you dread. I know that's kind of awful for me to say but those are your ONLY choices and what you need right now is a good stiff dose of "tough love" and not pointless sympathy that's going to get you NOWHERE.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Can someone deny dialysis because I don't want it? I don't want a kidney transplant too? What I want to know is who is the fuker in my parents' family who gave me high blood pressure to start off with. If I die it's this person's fault whether he or she is still alive or not.
Some fuker gave it, but you don't have to prove in every post that you have High BP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness