Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times

Advertisements

- When I was younger I went to an Allergist, an Immunologist which deals with the Immune system.

He told me that my allergies would turn into asthma as I got older. He was right.

But natural remedies have worked for me.
As I try to balance my Immune system. Allergies & Asthma have now been under my control.

- Colostrum, Probiotics and Vitamin C work well all together.
There is also a product I have to order on line called Chanca Piedra which I use also when it's worse.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:43 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Thanks again guys. I do take a good amount of supplements, so I'll keep taking them.

Chanca Piedra, I've never heard of though.

Does anyone inhale a certain kind of essential oil for your asthma?

Old 08-06-2017, 03:09 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I developed asthma a few years ago, I think it was due to living in a mouldy house for 6 months (didn't find out about the mould until later). Mine is triggered by illnesses like colds and the flu, smoke, very cold air, hayfever, and exercise so quite a lot of triggers unfortunately! I have a flixotide evohaler for daily prevention and ventoline for acute symptoms.

Strangely I find that a cup of tea helps when I'm having mild symptoms, could be placebo effect but does help somehow.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:40 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thank you guys for taking the time to post! Tell me more.

I'm still trying to figure out my triggers. All I know is, I tend to feel better in the morning/day as opposed to the evening/night. It's better when I'm outdoors as opposed to in my apt.

No foods, except wasabi trigger it.

The weather/temperature doesn't seem to have any effect.

I know when I see those leaf blower guys outside, I try to avoid them just in case. Not that anything's happened yet regarding that.

No one's ever smoked around me ever. I'm wondering if it's my apt that I've lived in for 5 yrs now. It's a small space and I guess I could have dusted more often now that I look back on it. I guess it finally developed after a few years. And regarding my workplace, I wouldn't be surprised if that played a small part in it, although, I was never in the same room/bldg for more than ONE year at a time.

Yes, however, I've stopped both inhalers for about the last month now because I started developing random dizzy spells after about 1.5-2 mos after starting the Asmanex & I wanted to see if that was the cause of the dizziness. I'm leaning towards NO, plus a couple of drs said the inhalers don't really cause dizziness. I'm actually getting more concerned about this dizziness nowadays than my breathing.

I'm still breathing good, so this time will also be a good test to see how long I can go WITHOUT taking the inhalers & still be good. If I notice my breathing's not as good again, I'll start taking the Asmanex again (& the Ventolin as needed).
My daughter has asthma (she was diagnosed with it as a teenager and is in her 30's now) and swears that the leukotriene inhibitor monoleukast does the best job of keeping her asthma symptoms at bay. It used to be expensive before there was a generic form available (the brand name is Singulair), and we/she paid for it as it worked so well for her, but the generic form (monoleukast) isn't too bad.

She still carries her rescue inhalers, and has a nebulizer for use when she gets a respiratory infection (those tend to trigger asthma symptoms), but thanks to the monoleukast she doesn't have to use them all that often.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Had it my whole life. It was severe (as in I wasn't expected to live) as a child. The advent of inhaled corticosteroids was a miracle for me. I take Symbicort. And I only take it once a day since my asthma is well controlled with 1/2 the prescribed daily dose. I haven't used my rescue inhaler for years even though I still carry it out of habit. There are side effects of long term steroid use that your doctor will discuss with you. In my case, despite 4 decades of use, they aren't in evidence.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Thinking about this asthma people had since they were kids gets to wonder did their mothers smoke while carrying the children. I worked at a company yrs ago and a woman who was about 40 or a little younger and smoked and then came up pregnant in her 2nd marriage and she never quit smoking. I am long gone from that company but wonder if her baby was born with weak lungs. I couldn't believe my eyes when she would get up and go outside to smoke.

My siblings and I were saved as neither parent smoked.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thinking about this asthma people had since they were kids gets to wonder did their mothers smoke while carrying the children. I worked at a company yrs ago and a woman who was about 40 or a little younger and smoked and then came up pregnant in her 2nd marriage and she never quit smoking. I am long gone from that company but wonder if her baby was born with weak lungs. I couldn't believe my eyes when she would get up and go outside to smoke.

My siblings and I were saved as neither parent smoked.

My mother did not smoke, but she did have asthma which she passed on to me and my siblings via her genetics. And asthma isn't about "weak lungs". It's about how one's lungs respond, or more appropriately over respond, to irritants and allergens. Many world class athletes, including David Beckham, Jerome Bettis, and Olympian Amy Van Dyken, have asthma and their lungs are anything but "weak".

Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My mother did not smoke, but she did have asthma which she passed on to me and my siblings via her genetics. And asthma isn't about "weak lungs". It's about how one's lungs respond, or more appropriately over respond, to irritants and allergens. Many world class athletes, including David Beckham, Jerome Bettis, and Olympian Amy Van Dyken, have asthma and their lungs are anything but "weak".
And I'd bet those world class athletics don't know about the powerful antioxidant who helps asthmatic issues so much. Just knowing some "SIMPLE" remedies can make a world of difference.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Did you recently get a memory foam mattress or pillows? They can be very toxic to some people and asthma is a symptom they can cause.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And I'd bet those world class athletics don't know about the powerful antioxidant who helps asthmatic issues so much. Just knowing some "SIMPLE" remedies can make a world of difference.

And knowing a world class pulmonologist makes the best difference. I'm sure as world class athletes they and their doctors know the best methods for treating asthma and achieving peak athletic performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness