Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times

Advertisements

Had my first one two years ago, on doctor's advice as I hit 50. Found and removed a polyup.

Prep and proceedure were easy enough, but I was surprised at just how quickly I went under for the proceedure and how long it took to wear off. The clinic would not allow you to leave without an arranged driver - no driving, no bus, no train, no taxi - had to be someone who came in with photo ID matching the information you provided prior. After waking up, I understood why.

I wish I could achieve that state of relaxation through meditation. It was kind of a nice break from life. Slept great thst night, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Had my first one two years ago, on doctor's advice as I hit 50. Found and removed a polyup.

Prep and proceedure were easy enough, but I was surprised at just how quickly I went under for the proceedure and how long it took to wear off. The clinic would not allow you to leave without an arranged driver - no driving, no bus, no train, no taxi - had to be someone who came in with photo ID matching the information you provided prior. After waking up, I understood why.

I wish I could achieve that state of relaxation through meditation. It was kind of a nice break from life. Slept great thst night, too.
To date, I've had eight or nine scopes (colon cancer survivor) and I've never had that reaction to the anesthetic. Woke up reasonably quickly, dressed and on the road, (with my driver) headed for a hearty breakfast and a lazy afternoon.

When you have your next one, make sure to advise the staff of just how long it took you to recover from the anesthesia. They may make adjustments.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
To date, I've had eight or nine scopes (colon cancer survivor) and I've never had that reaction to the anesthetic. Woke up reasonably quickly, dressed and on the road, (with my driver) headed for a hearty breakfast and a lazy afternoon.

When you have your next one, make sure to advise the staff of just how long it took you to recover from the anesthesia. They may make adjustments.
Yeah. It is the only time I've been under, so had no experience to compare against. Still, kind of a nice break and wonderful sleep that night.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Bravo for attending to this procedure!

The cleansing and detoxifying are the challenge. My adomen did not take well to the solution. It was harsh on my system.

Correct that it's less then 2 hrs and the team are so versed. I was told my results before I left. Had there been an inkling of concern they would have delayed analysis upon further review.

Glad things went well . !

Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Since everyone else has told their colonoscopy story, here's mine.

The pharmacist dispensed the prep liquid with flavor packs, so I just kept opening those and stirring them in glasses of prep. I was also instructed to take a couple of bisacodyl tablets. It was no trouble at all. I never felt a real urgency to visit the bathroom.

Once I was hooked up to an IV I did have a few fearful moments waiting my turn. But I thought about the friend who skipped her first colonoscopy at age 50. She didn't make it to 55; the colon cancer got her first. The world is a poorer place for her not being in it.

The only problem I had with the whole procedure is that the NP may have pushed too much Versed. I came out of it feeling as though someone had hammered a brick into my skull. It took hours for the headache to abate. Looking through the literature now, though, it appears headache is a known potential side effect.

No polyps.

Now I tell anesthesiologists that I once had a reaction to Versed and it hasn't happened again.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I am shaking my head at the people who refuse to get one because they think it is big Pharma out to get us (I believe they are, but not in this instance). I also shake my head at those thinking that a heathy family history, healthy eating and supplements will protect them.
Cancer does not care about either and colonoscopies save lives.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 07-26-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I am a wimp about certain procedures and about conscious sedation ~ for reasons I will keep to myself.

A friend of mine had a son with severe Crohn's and he had many tests and surgeries for the entirety of his life but that's not my story.

I posted because I know MANY people put this procedure off because they are afraid. That's the only reason.
I should apologize, that post was a knee jerk reaction.

I get annoyed by grown adults who make big deals of procedures after I witnessed a child go through years and years of many different kinds/sometimes painful procedures and dangerous medications with aplomb and zero complaints.
That doesn't mean it was appropriate to dump in your thread. I'm sorry.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am shaking my head at the people who refuse to get one because they think it is big Pharma out to get us (I believe they are, but not in this instance). I also shake my head at those thinking that a heathy family history, healthy eating and supplements will protect them.
Cancer does not care about either and colonoscopies save lives.
For me, I've gotten this far 79 soon and prefer little as possible tests. Big Pharma, they have their place but I prefer to give my money to the needy. And I also go with my history of none of these tests done with parents/aunts/uncles and they all lived long ENOUGH lives.

We have all our mindsets including ME. Doesn't mean I'm wrong or right...just ME.

And it's true I don't have a lot of trust in pharma, lived/living with enough damage from their work.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-26-2017 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Great for you OP & it's good of you to post to let others know your experience! It really is important! MrMetal & I have had 3 between us & he'd put his off for years. It turned out he had a very large polyp of the kind that turns into cancer. Dr said if we had waited another year or so, he would have had cancer! So, we're both feeling really thankful he did it. Actually, we're still waiting for the official biopsy report as the dr said he can't be 100% sure until the report comes back.

There ARE different kinds of preps, people talk to your drs! With 3 behind us, we've never had to drink the awful liquid. We've always done the prep where you just mix Miralax with Gatorade. It's still not fun, but it's not terrible & you don't have to drink the horrible tasting liquid. I just drank lemonade flavored Gatorade. That's the same protocol I've used twice & the one MrMetal used. I think different offices like to use different protocols, but there are options.

There are also different anesthesias used, though typically it's just Propofol, so you don't feel groggy after, that's the whole point. Some use Versed or a pain med too, but that's pretty rare around here. Most of the time, for the typical preventative screening, it is ONLY Propofol & lidocaine possibly. I had one where they used a pain med too, but you can totally discuss that with the CRNA or Anesthesiologist ahead of time, so you can understand what & why they want to use it & you can have input into that decision. I was consulting with the CRNA this time for my DH's & he made it clear that in his opinion, using Versed defeats the purpose of the Propofol, which is a quick induction & quick recovery. When that's been the only thing used, typically you feel totally normal in 5-10 minutes, which is kind of the point. Even with having a huge polyp removed, my DH had zero pain, with just Propofol used.

Most people in the US are not awake during the procedure, but you can be & I was discussing with the staff about that we're one of the only countries that gives anesthesia for it. So, if you're afraid of anesthesia, you don't have to do it & most of the world doesn't. It's a quick, minimally uncomfortable procedure that most of the world does without being knocked out. One of the nurses was telling me that her DH was deployed, so she had it without anything, as she was not willing to go under with her DH in another country, said it's no big deal at all. It makes me wonder if we do the anesthesia more in this country b/c of the embarrassment factor, rather than the fact that it's necessary for the procedure.

Also, I've had them at both a hospital & a GI clinic & there was a difference in my anesthesia provider. At the clinic it was a CRNA & at the hospital it was a board cert. Anesthesiologist.

Last edited by MsMetal; 07-26-2017 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
As a gastroenterologist myself, I approve this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness