Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:55 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,321,759 times

Advertisements

I have thinning hair after 2 surgeries. It sort of/kind of got better after over a year but not remarkable. I bought some Nioxin shampoo for thinning hair but the problem is you have to shampoo every day and that just wasn't going to happen with me. I have seen no difference with it at all and I actually have thought my hair looked thinner. So, I stopped using it.

I have taken Biotin for years but have recently doubled the dose. We shall see how that does.

Just Googling hair thinning shampoos/treatment and there are quite a few out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 02:59 PM

92 posts, read 83,188 times
My hair has thinned out from pregnancy. Cut it shorter and add layers. This really helps.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:41 PM

10,830 posts, read 7,215,351 times
I shed when my thyroid meds are out of whack. it's a simple blood test to find out

Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,625,264 times
Thyroid, anemia, certain medications, hormone imbalance, etc. Mine fell out like crazy due to menopause and a bout with eczema/dermatitis. I started switching between a shampoo with ketoconazole (regenepure) and a mild dandruff shampoo (Jason). Both are cruelty free. I also use a manual shampoo brush to clean and stimulate my scalp. It took months, but there is lots of new hair growth along my temples and hairline now, so it's working. With a scaly scalp and thinning hair you probably want to stop using hair coloring products and anything else harsh and drying/damaging.

I tried onion juice and fenugreek, but the onion juice literally makes you stink, and the fenugreek is kind of a hassle to prepare and apply and I was not as consistent as I should have been and gave up after a month or so. If you have more patience and tolerance for weird smells, they might work for you. You can also try oatstraw tea and shavegrass tea. I've tried them as well, but, again, was not consistent enough to notice a difference. Using shampoo is just a lot easier.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:47 PM

102,065 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm 42. In the last 3-4 yrs, my hair has gotten noticeably thinner. My hair's always been EXTREMELY long...still is, but definitely not as thick as it used to be. I'm almost afraid to brush it because a lot of strands come out.

I don't know why. My diet's the same, I haven't gone through anything healthwise at the time the thinning started.

I don't want to have to get Rogaine or anything like that. I'd like to do some all-natural methods, if they really work.

Anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks!

A little background info if it matters:

- I've always gotten dandruff & never found any shampoo that really helps it
- I have a lot of scaly skin on my scalp, so I should exfoliate it more or something
- I've dyed my hair regularly for a good 15 years now w/ mostly non-ammonia dye
Get your thyroid evaluated, preferably by a doctor who works outside the insurance system. It's the only way to get a trustworthy opinion on thyroid. It will cost you, but if you have a thyroid issue, the independent doc will get to the bottom of it.

Do you have brittle nails? Recurring constipation? Headaches? Extremely painful menstrual periods? Are you a light sleeper? Any one of those could be a thyroid disease symptom.

Or it may not be thyroid. At what age did your mother go through menopause?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,525,270 times
Biotin and a B-Complex supplement worked for me. It takes patience, but after a few months your hair starts growing back in. I first noticed "fuzz" coming in along the hairline. Now I have healthy, thick, strong hair all over. I still take the supplements daily. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM

12,655 posts, read 14,791,500 times
Thanks a lot guys for your comments!

I've never been pregnant, haven't started menopause, etc.

I started taking Biotin. The brand by Andrew Lessman that's sold on HSN to be exact. Each capsule is 2000mcg, so if I tk 2 a day, that's of course 4000mcg. I've started off taking 1 capsule a day now for the last 4-5 days. We shall see how it goes! I saw youtube videos though on how too much biotin will actually break out one's skin UNLESS maybe if you drink like literally 1 gallon of water a day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Get your thyroid evaluated, preferably by a doctor who works outside the insurance system. It's the only way to get a trustworthy opinion on thyroid. It will cost you, but if you have a thyroid issue, the independent doc will get to the bottom of it.

Do you have brittle nails? Recurring constipation? Headaches? Extremely painful menstrual periods? Are you a light sleeper? Any one of those could be a thyroid disease symptom.

Or it may not be thyroid. At what age did your mother go through menopause?
Thanks for the info. To answer your questions...

NO to brittle nails, in fact, they grow quite long & my entire life & still NOW people comment on if they're real &/or how do I get my nails that long, etc.

NO to recurring constipation. I always had good BMs (bowel mvmts) my entire life.

NO to painful periods.

NO to being a light sleeper.

Glad I can say NO to them all! No thyroid issue that I've ever known of.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:18 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,668,884 times
My hair is thinning too. But I'm menopausal so that maybe the reason why. No longer have thick lucious hair.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:14 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,994,215 times
I have taken Biotin (the cheap stuff from Walmart) and it makes hair grow EVERYWHERE ! I also use Dermarest shampoo (from Walmart) because of a tendency to itchy scalp, headaches, and possible psorasis. (my aunt had it bad). These help me tremendously.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,305,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I have taken Biotin (the cheap stuff from Walmart) and it makes hair grow EVERYWHERE !...

That was my experience with biotin too. I seldom have to shave legs, armpits, etc but, when taking biotin, I had to shave everything every day. Biotin did help the hair on my head grow again after a major surgery but it wasnt worth having to deal with the hair growth everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness