Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

my dh is 64, and about 50+ pounds overweight. For about the last year he's been experiencing pain in his left knee. I'm "sure" its osteoarthritis, brought about by the extra weight, and age. Its not so bothersome that it limits his activities in any significant manner. He just experiences stiffness getting up from a seated position, and intermittent pain throughout the day.

I hesitate to send him to a doctor now. He certainly isn't a candidate for a knee replacement at this point! About the most they would do is diagnosis it, then prescribe anti-inflammatories, such as Naprosyn. They might also send him to physical therapy. Meanwhile, the diagnosis is on his record. While previous-existing conditions are now covered, who knows what will happen in a few years? Especially as he retires, goes on Medicare, etc.

I feel the best thing to do is lose weight, perhaps get some sturdy walking shoes, take Naprosyn or Motrin, and do some basic knee exercises, which I can teach him to do at home. How do I know? I've had both knees replaced, along with both hips (not all at once) My joints failed due to rheumatoid arthritis, which is a completely different disease than osteoarthritis. Rheumatoid --RA--is an autoimmune disease that attacks the cartilage between the joints, while osteoarthritis is a wear-and-tear of the joints, brought on by age and being overweight. I can teach dh the exercises I was given after joint replacement. They will stabilize and strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee. That, along with weight loss, supportive footwear, and perhaps supplements like glucosamine should help. I don't think he would get any more help from seeing a doctor at this point.

Any other advice? Would there be any advantage to seeing a doctor now, as opposed to possible insurance problems down the line if it gets worse?

Also, has anyone tried Synvisc? They're injections into the knee that provide some temporary relief.....but there again, he would be on the radar. We currently pay $650/month for group health insurance, and we weigh if/when to use it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
I don't know if the "pre-existing condition" issue would be a matter of concern for someone in your DH's demographic, but if it worries you, then by all means schedule an apt. just to get the dx on record.

I'm 73 and until late in 2016 still exercising vigorously, going up and down steep hills, when the knees blew up. After drainage and shooting by an orthopod, the strenuous exercise had to cease, replaced by low impact workouts on a mini-elliptical and mini-stepper. For the latter, I recommend a high-end one like Xiser and set it at the high resistance, low intensity setting. These two devices easily fit in the basement, garage, or carport. The knees now are the least of my arthritic and arthralgiic problems, and I give credit to the new exercise modalities.

Have since developed problems elsewhere with painful feet from the impact of walking, especially down hills, but do not believe they are related to the new exercise regimen, simply because there's no pain or any other uncomfortable pressure on those body parts when working out. Assume that arthritis is settling in there too, not to mention wrists and hands.

Your recommendation to lose weight is right on the money, not only for musculoskeletal status, but given age 64, also for cardiovascular health.

Unable to answer your other questions.

Addendum: I find Naproxen helpful but there are dangerous side effects for many people, in my case, systolic blood pressure rises unacceptably. So I treat myself once a week only, taking two tablets and for 24 hrs. I feel like age 28 again.

Last edited by Calvert Hall '62; 07-29-2017 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: .

Old 07-29-2017, 09:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I would think being diagnosed by a doctor would be the best course of action.

What does your husband want to do?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2017, 10:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Only your husband can decide to lose weight, but try and encourage him. Get a proper diagnosis from an orthopedist. Depending on the diagnosis most of the time movement helps. Cycling is really good, but walking will help a lot.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:07 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
my dh is 64, and about 50+ pounds overweight. For about the last year he's been experiencing pain in his left knee. I'm "sure" its osteoarthritis, brought about by the extra weight, and age. Its not so bothersome that it limits his activities in any significant manner. He just experiences stiffness getting up from a seated position, and intermittent pain throughout the day.

I hesitate to send him to a doctor now. He certainly isn't a candidate for a knee replacement at this point! About the most they would do is diagnosis it, then prescribe anti-inflammatories, such as Naprosyn. They might also send him to physical therapy. Meanwhile, the diagnosis is on his record. While previous-existing conditions are now covered, who knows what will happen in a few years? Especially as he retires, goes on Medicare, etc.

I feel the best thing to do is lose weight, perhaps get some sturdy walking shoes, take Naprosyn or Motrin, and do some basic knee exercises, which I can teach him to do at home. How do I know? I've had both knees replaced, along with both hips (not all at once) My joints failed due to rheumatoid arthritis, which is a completely different disease than osteoarthritis. Rheumatoid --RA--is an autoimmune disease that attacks the cartilage between the joints, while osteoarthritis is a wear-and-tear of the joints, brought on by age and being overweight. I can teach dh the exercises I was given after joint replacement. They will stabilize and strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee. That, along with weight loss, supportive footwear, and perhaps supplements like glucosamine should help. I don't think he would get any more help from seeing a doctor at this point.

Any other advice? Would there be any advantage to seeing a doctor now, as opposed to possible insurance problems down the line if it gets worse?

Also, has anyone tried Synvisc? They're injections into the knee that provide some temporary relief.....but there again, he would be on the radar. We currently pay $650/month for group health insurance, and we weigh if/when to use it

Dr. Google is so easy to see. There is so much info on knee OA relief. I deal with it and just came off 4.5 from a staph infection, another story. While in rehabs I lost 30 lbs due to loss of appetite from drugs.

Do all one can before going to the surgery. SO MANY have knee issues and I know some and they are doing all to avoid surgery. I did the syn visc two times at different times and Nothing.

Get on glucosamine, many swear it helps. I take it daily...take OFF the weight. Watch the inflammatory foods..there are many. On the diet group, they are talking about weight loss and all potatoe diet for a while, it's not for me, but I've read some links and it works.

It's probably a given that it's osteoporosis in the knee. I saw my first doc for mine about 22 yrs ago and he said you are entering the world of OA. For me it's advanced but I didn't stop life when I was told this at about 57...I wear knee supports and buy into all I read about OA help.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Get a proper diagnosis is always my advice.

Ok, if you want to "try stuff" instead, here is a list:

1. Lose the weight. Nothing will help your joints and overall health more than this. Without this piece, the rest is just pointless delay.
2. Fish/krill oil
3. G-C and turmeric combo
4. Stretching and strengthening low back and hips/quads
5. Stretching and strengthening lower leg
6. Recumbent bike
7. Balance work

Old 07-29-2017, 11:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
I don't think you folks quite understand my concerns.

Seeing a doctor now makes it a previous-existing condition. They wouldn't do much right now, except a farcified version of what I have suggested. But what if he needs a knee replacement, or some other invasive, expensive treatment in the future? Right now insurance can't deny treatment of previous existing conditions, but all that might change. What if he retires, goes on Medicare and some other supplemental insurance, and then treatment is denied because the knee was a previous-existing condition?

I think its best to just try to live with it for now, avoiding seeking a diagnosis unless it becomes an extreme problem. Meanwhile, we will do what I have suggested, unless that doesn't seem to help. Then we seek medical care.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I don't think you folks quite understand my concerns.

Seeing a doctor now makes it a previous-existing condition. They wouldn't do much right now, except a farcified version of what I have suggested. But what if he needs a knee replacement, or some other invasive, expensive treatment in the future? Right now insurance can't deny treatment of previous existing conditions, but all that might change. What if he retires, goes on Medicare and some other supplemental insurance, and then treatment is denied because the knee was a previous-existing condition?

I think its best to just try to live with it for now, avoiding seeking a diagnosis unless it becomes an extreme problem. Meanwhile, we will do what I have suggested, unless that doesn't seem to help. Then we seek medical care.
If he EVER "NEEDS" a knee replacement he will get it with medicare. My hip replacement was done with medicare. These surgeries as I've grown to believe need to be Last Resort. There are many things one can do to keep walking. Who says we have to climb and run all over the place. Gentle work but move IT.

Wear a knee support, amazon has tons. And lots of reviews. I've been wearing a support for over 20 yrs. It helps stabilize the knee.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Okay, I understand your concerns. I would use Stan's suggestions in the mean time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2017, 01:15 PM

OP: I think MOST have given you some good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness