Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:28 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Curious to see if anyone is on a beta blocker for high blood pressure? Currently taking lisonopril/hctz but am having annoying side effects from that combo. And it's not that effective.

As I'm a "hot reactor," very emotional, I'm wondering if a beta blocker might be a better med for me.

Appreciate your comments/observations.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM

371 posts, read 364,704 times
I am what my cardio says I just run hot. I am on a low dose of 2.5mg Bystolic and HCTZ 25mg. It's very effective. Bystolic has the least side effects over other beta blockers but it costs a little more. However Bystolic on their website gives you a card number and you can get the RX as low as 35 a month. It costs over a hundred a month without the card.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Took a number of beta blockers over the years with the last one being Bystolic. On all of them, my resting heart rate would run 36-44 beats per minute. Never any symptoms, but the last doctor was alarmed at such a low heart rate, so now betas are gone. Even without betas, hear rate is usually in low 50s.

Incidentally, I took lisinopril which had no side effects at first but after a year or so it lowered my sodium too much (hyponatremia) so that was dropped too.

Every damn drug seems to have side effects with me.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
After I tried for yrs to get my BP under management, I succumbed to MD's BP meds and she started me on Atenolol 25mg and that's been yrs...it's an older drug as I understand it and very inexpensive. No side effects I know of, but they all cause fatigue.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
So it sounds like every BP medication is likely to have some side effects? The HCTZ is giving me an intolerance to heat and excessive sweating. And since I live in a warm climate, that's not fun.

My friend, on the other hand, takes the exact lisonopril/HCTZ combo & dosage I do and does not have the heat intolerance/excessive sweating. So not every med is right for every person it seems.

We'll see what the Doc says when I see her soon. She keeps telling me what I'm taking are "good medications" -- which may be the case for many -- but they don't seem to be so good/effective for ME...hard to get that point across to my Doc.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I've been taking several BP meds for 10+ years and NONE of them have ever caused any side effects for me. They do not all cause fatigue -- as usual, one person is using limited experience to make a general claim.

METOPROLOL TARTRATE 100MG
AMLODIPINE BESYLATE 2.5MG
CLONIDINE 0.1MG
TORSEMIDE 20MG

Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
So it sounds like every BP medication is likely to have some side effects? The HCTZ is giving me an intolerance to heat and excessive sweating. And since I live in a warm climate, that's not fun.

My friend, on the other hand, takes the exact lisonopril/HCTZ combo & dosage I do and does not have the heat intolerance/excessive sweating. So not every med is right for every person it seems.

We'll see what the Doc says when I see her soon. She keeps telling me what I'm taking are "good medications" -- which may be the case for many -- but they don't seem to be so good/effective for ME...hard to get that point across to my Doc.

I think it's safe to say docs have minds of their own. What we tell them can go in one ear and out the other...like they "walk in our shoes".... I'm too on to them.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Interesting from AARP. I see Atenolol isn't even mentioned, it's probably too old to push as it's so inexpensive.

High Blood Pressure Medications And Feeling Tired - AARP

Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Curious to see if anyone is on a beta blocker for high blood pressure? Currently taking lisonopril/hctz but am having annoying side effects from that combo. And it's not that effective.
That's exactly what I take for my blood pressure, which runs 110/70 with the meds, 190/100 without.

I have no side effects from either med.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:27 AM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
I've been on Micardis (telmisartin) for I guess about 15 yrs. The "..sartin" drugs work in the same manner as ACEs like lisinopril but are a little higher in the ACE inhibitor/Angiotensin 2 blocker pathway and seem to not have the side effects that some people get from lisinopril.
I used to take Micardis with HCTZ but dropped the HCTZ and now take 80mg of Micardis which is the highest dose.

So usually your provider(doctor) will start you on the lowest dose of one med such as HCTZ start to up the dose every several weeks if needed, when a max dose is reached then add another med such as an ACE inhibitor or betablocker again at lowest dose and then start upping that dose.

Your heart has beta receptors and a beta blocker will lower its rate, some cardio protective benefit from this, if under stress rate stays lower uses less oxygen , preserves cardiac muscle if you were to have an MI (heart attack). But...Slower heart rate may make you feel tired and/or take a couple weeks to see if your OK with it.

ACE inhibitor such as lisinopril seems to sometimes be preferred for diabetics.

Anyway , I think a beta blocker could be a good choice for you

as a disclaimer - I'm not an expert or a physician but if I am taking a med I'll research and look up:
Onset, duration, peak effect, mechanism of action and metabolism of the drug and of course side effects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness