Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,745,221 times

Advertisements

Only way I can see a request for another doctor being legit is if the doctor is not understandable when they give you orders/info at your appointment. And it does happen. There's an older couple in my neighborhood that I'm friendly with who are both retired physicians. They both practiced in the US for decades, but are originally from Thailand. I find it hard to understand them when they respond to "Hi, how are you today?" so I could see where a patient trying to understand a discussion on a medical issue could be a problem. Especially if the patient is elderly and has some loss of hearing as so many older folks do.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,609,304 times
Or how about referrals from acquaintances or friends/family. I got plenty of referrals over the yrs from my friends.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 PM

48,386 posts, read 34,520,173 times
But how would anyone know if they learned English first? Just because you have or don't have an accent wouldn't necessarily mean anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 PM

19,383 posts, read 27,640,004 times
Frankly, I don't give a ratsass where my doctor/dentist is from nor what color he/she is. I do care where they went to med school and (more importantly) where they did their residency and fellowship (if applicable). I want the best damn doctor and dentist I can afford - ESPECIALLY when I'm dealing with a serious illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Only way I can see a request for another doctor being legit is if the doctor is not understandable when they give you orders/info at your appointment. And it does happen. There's an older couple in my neighborhood that I'm friendly with who are both retired physicians. They both practiced in the US for decades, but are originally from Thailand. I find it hard to understand them when they respond to "Hi, how are you today?" so I could see where a patient trying to understand a discussion on a medical issue could be a problem. Especially if the patient is elderly and has some loss of hearing as so many older folks do.
This I agree with. We had that issue with a physician for my husband who was born in India.

I do, however, discriminate against doctors that are older and kinda worn out by the years of whining patients and the insurance companies making their lives a nightmare. There are certainly exceptions, and for second opinions, I often look for an experienced doctor. But surgeons? I can't think of an exception, but I'm sure there are some, but I want the young doctors. The one who has education and techniques from this decade, not the eighties. The one who knows how to use all the newest technology, like robotics and computer assisted surgeries. The one who has better reflexes. The one who don't have an ego the size of Rhode Island. Generally, I'm not enthused about a surgeon over the age of 50. JMO.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:54 PM

564 posts, read 445,800 times
Luckyd609 said it all. If you dare to suggest you'd be more comfortable with someone who speaks your language, you're a racist. And lots of other bad things. And a horrible person.

So here's how to handle that. Just say, okay, Lefty, I'm a racist and all the ists and xphobics. Now, enough name calling, let's get on with it.

It's your decision. My favorite doctor was a Persian, pretty good English and a great guy. My current doc is as white as I am. All business and, fortunately, I haven't had to test his competency. Although he has good bona fides hanging on the wall.

Get referrals from like minded acquaintances. I wouldn't walk through what's left of the Yellow Pages looking past the Nguyens to get to the Nelsons. Nguyen may have been born in Des Moines and Nelson just got his license reinstated.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,050,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Luckyd609 said it all. If you dare to suggest you'd be more comfortable with someone who speaks your language, you're a racist. And lots of other bad things. And a horrible person.

So here's how to handle that. Just say, okay, Lefty, I'm a racist and all the ists and xphobics. Now, enough name calling, let's get on with it.

It's your decision. My favorite doctor was a Persian, pretty good English and a great guy. My current doc is as white as I am. All business and, fortunately, I haven't had to test his competency. Although he has good bona fides hanging on the wall.

Get referrals from like minded acquaintances. I wouldn't walk through what's left of the Yellow Pages looking past the Nguyens to get to the Nelsons. Nguyen may have been born in Des Moines and Nelson just got his license reinstated.
Is this post for real? I'm asking in seriousness because I don't think it can be.

As for some of the other wild responses in this thread (and this one), I can't respond on my phone right now, maybe later.

But seriously, I think some of you people are preposterous - the assumptions, accusations, and general hate being directed at me is shocking.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:40 PM

564 posts, read 445,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Is this post for real? I'm asking in seriousness because I don't think it can be.

As for some of the other wild responses in this thread (and this one), I can't respond on my phone right now, maybe later.

But seriously, I think some of you people are preposterous - the assumptions, accusations, and general hate being directed at me is shocking.
I guess you missed my point entirely. I was pointing out how you'd be attacked for not being fully PC-compliant. Or were you saying you have no right wanting to understand your providers?

Old 08-10-2017, 04:42 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,214,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Is this post for real?

I was wondering the same thing ..... about the OP.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,883,830 times
What's really troubling is that this is like the 10th thread I've read in the last 24 hours along these lines on City-Data. Racists are attempting to bury PC civility wholesale and turn all corners of City-Data into their own alt-right echo chamber. What's going on? Sadly, I think I know...

Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,497,238 times
Closed. This does not really relate to health and wellness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness