Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:35 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
The artery to the heart. ("coronary artery")
I just had four (FOUR!!!!!!!!!!) installed the second of May (I did the four thing because that's how my cardiologist says it).

Went in that morning, a Tuesday, suffering a "real heart attack" (cardiologist again) and was home Thursday a little after noon.

Ruined my whole week.

If he has no complications he'll be good to go in a week or two. How old and does he have other health issues (overweight, diabetes, COPD, etc.)? Those would impact his recovery and after care.

My were put in through the femoral artery in my groin, they'll keep checking the catheter insertion site, as mentioned whether arm or groin can bleed out quickly if it opens up.

Will he have angioplasty done at the same time? Cleans out the other arteries. As long as they were in there they did mine.

Does he have to do cardio rehab. Three days a week for twelve weeks. It's an exercise regimen, treadmill, stationary bike, other stuff. They'll nag about his diet.

The rehab is frustrating for me, I was in fairly good shape (OK, there was that heart thing) and do/did quite a bit of walking (typically 4 or 5 miles three or for days a week hunting) as well as physical labor.

He'll have to use the blood thinners, keeps the stents clear. They're a pain, too. I have bruises where I've never had them before. I always wondered why old farts always seemed to have weird bruises on their arms and what not. Now I know. Those damned blood thinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thanks so much. It DOES sound crazy that something to do with the heart is done while they are awake, and that they go home so soon with no restrictions. I'm trying not to be too worried.
of course you are worried, who wouldn't be. It is scary thinking about someone inserting something in our heart or I should say one of the arteries. But, 99.9% of the cases are simple and over in a few short time. Do keep us posted.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I just had four (FOUR!!!!!!!!!!) installed the second of May (I did the four thing because that's how my cardiologist says it).

Went in that morning, a Tuesday, suffering a "real heart attack" (cardiologist again) and was home Thursday a little after noon.

Ruined my whole week.

If he has no complications he'll be good to go in a week or two. How old and does he have other health issues (overweight, diabetes, COPD, etc.)? Those would impact his recovery and after care.

My were put in through the femoral artery in my groin, they'll keep checking the catheter insertion site, as mentioned whether arm or groin can bleed out quickly if it opens up.

Will he have angioplasty done at the same time? Cleans out the other arteries. As long as they were in there they did mine.

Does he have to do cardio rehab. Three days a week for twelve weeks. It's an exercise regimen, treadmill, stationary bike, other stuff. They'll nag about his diet.

The rehab is frustrating for me, I was in fairly good shape (OK, there was that heart thing) and do/did quite a bit of walking (typically 4 or 5 miles three or for days a week hunting) as well as physical labor.

He'll have to use the blood thinners, keeps the stents clear. They're a pain, too. I have bruises where I've never had them before. I always wondered why old farts always seemed to have weird bruises on their arms and what not. Now I know. Those damned blood thinners.
^^This! My Dad, 87 at the time had 4 the end of January, he had A fib and 90% blockage in right side of heart. Went thru the wrist, stayed overnight. The medications they about killed him. Plavix, 1 year, a statin, he got rid of quikly, Metoprolol, and Sotilol. His BP is all over the place and he has been in Afib a few times since the surgery. I'm pretty sure a pacemaker is in his future. But hey, he is 88 now, had Afib and hypertension before surgery, was on a BP med and a HR med.

NBP, he didn't have any rehab. just the lifting thing for a while, they want his bp 120/60, ya right, like that's going to happen! Diet Diet Diet

Old 08-17-2017, 06:56 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Hopefully all went well and the OP is just to busy to post an update.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 AM

2,025 posts, read 3,344,447 times
Quote:

Ruined my whole week.

WOW, sorry to hear about the heart attack.

Yes, he's on blood thinners now, and a cholestrol drug. And a low-fat diet. No rehab so far, but an appt. in 3 weeks.

He spent one night in the hospital, and came out with a splint on his arm, where they went in the vein. He feels great. Today he took the splint off (per instructions) and everything looks fine.

He needed one stent, and medicine now for other arteries that have a bit of plaque. He is NOT overweight and gets tons of exercise, so there go those myths. Could be hereditary or maybe from other meds; he does like butter - he's only 63. (Yes, diabetic.)

Thanks for all the replies - they helped in my worries. It always helps to hear from real people who have gone thru these things.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:

Ruined my whole week.

4? What a rookie!

I have 13! Get this....I am female, was in my late 30s (45 now), not overweight, athletic etc...none of the usual signs of heart disease but I have it! Crazy.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
4? What a rookie!

I have 13! Get this....I am female, was in my late 30s (45 now), not overweight, athletic etc...none of the usual signs of heart disease but I have it! Crazy.
OK, I'm a slacker. Thanks Mom.

Yeah, while a smoker I'm not overweight (well my personal doc always wants me to lose weight, I now weigh 15 pounds more than I did when I was one of her first patients almost 35 years ago. Just a couple years before that the Navy had me on a high calorie diet to gain weight), fairly active, eat on the edge of marginally healthy to healthy.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I had little recovery problem, actually I was splitting firewood a couple weeks after the procedure. My cardiologist asked who told me I could do that. I told him no one told me I couldn't.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
OK, I'm a slacker. Thanks Mom.

Yeah, while a smoker I'm not overweight (well my personal doc always wants me to lose weight, I now weigh 15 pounds more than I did when I was one of her first patients almost 35 years ago. Just a couple years before that the Navy had me on a high calorie diet to gain weight), fairly active, eat on the edge of marginally healthy to healthy.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I had little recovery problem, actually I was splitting firewood a couple weeks after the procedure. My cardiologist asked who told me I could do that. I told him no one told me I couldn't.
good answer to your doctor. As mentioned I do not remember any restrictions much after a day or so and I was playing bridge less than a week later. In fact my first day back to bridge hubby was having work done on one car and needed the other so I walked the mile to the country club for my weekly bridge game. I never missed a game. When I miss bridge I am really sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness