Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:35 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think I found OP on social media.
Looks like 99% raw chicken. I cook mine in a covered pot with added water for 75 minutes. That doesn't get rid of all the growth hormones and antibiotics they use to grow them, but at least I feel civilized when I eat it. I'd feel uneasy about being with a woman who ate raw meat, as I'd be uncertain about her interest in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
I don't eat raw meat although I do think there is a Japanese dish that is raw chicken (saw it on the Travel Channel, and the hosts loved it),
I do love sashimi (raw fish and seafood)- though-
raw shrimp and scallops are delicious very tender and sweet.

Also earlier in the spring our neighbor brought us some fresh wild salmon he had caught a few hours earlier, and we sliced that up thin and ate it raw with lemon juice squeezed on it, and a little soy sauce -

(didn't think about parasites unfortunately, but I could stand to lose 10 lbs at least and haven't noticed any ill effects and its been a few months)...

Old 08-16-2017, 01:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The sushi thing in this thread is kind of funny.

The FDA guidelines incorporated into every state's food handling requirements say that raw fish other than tuna needs to be flash frozen to kill the parasites. You can eat all the hamachi you want without any particular food risk. That sushi bar would be shut down if they didn't start with frozen fish.

The thing that is kind of sketchy is eating raw shellfish. I know too many people who have contracted hepatitis (and aren't IV drug users). I cook mine.

Like a lot of people, I don't eat a lot of beef but I prefer medium-rare when I do. There's some food risk but it's pretty small.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Well there's Steak Tartar and I don't see anyone getting sick from it. Of course it depends on the quality and freshness of the meat. IMO, there are concerns, the bacteria, the digestibility and the nutrition. Number one would be the bacteria which is the main we cook meat and fish to begin with. I think it's also harder to digest raw meat and as far as nutrition it may be better for you uncooked? So you have to weigh the benefits against the risks. Sushi is about the only raw fish I would eat and I always have mine with wasabi (horseradish) or pickled ginger both of which kill any bacteria that may be present. Raw meat like steak? No, medium rare is about as low as I will go and that is with high quality beef.
I remember during my growing up years and before my father became ill from an unrelated cancer, thus between 1964 and 1971 my mother made hamburgers, typically with an egg beaten in and ground onions and other spices added. From that she excepted a raw half-patty for my father. He ate one of those weekly. I started joining in the fun around 1969. Neither of us got sick.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the people who incorporate sushi, pink lamb, rare beef and actually juicy slightly pink pork chops tend to be a whole lot healthier than the cook it till its leather crowd?

Perhaps it is just me.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:05 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
I would avoid eating food if possible. You are playing roulette. You can get a novovirus on it, e. coli inside it, salmonella. Better to avoid food if possible. Also prion diseases. Cook it all you want - you won't get rid of prions.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:12 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
I eat sushi on occasion and like it. Seems pretty expensive for what little you get

In the past on my own caught salmon and albacore tuna I sliced some thinly and ate raw on a few occasions. Very very small portions... maybe total of 2 ounces ea sitting of raw fish

Just a few weeks ago was cooking up a nice NY steak and decided to slice a couple thin raw slices prior to cooking and seasoned with a little salt and pepper and gulped them down. Once again super tiny portion maybe 1oz

I do not make a habit of it and would never do that with pork or poultry

Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I would avoid eating food if possible. You are playing roulette. You can get a novovirus on it, e. coli inside it, salmonella. Better to avoid food if possible. Also prion diseases. Cook it all you want - you won't get rid of prions.
Are you saying to avoid all food if possible?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Love raw fish, though we had a hep A outbreak from scallops here. Other than that, I tend to prefer my meat cooked.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2017, 06:59 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What do you eat if you don't eat food....

I eat a fair amount of meat (I follow a ketogenic diet). I prefer steak medium rare, pork and chicken to 160 degrees minimum, and burgers with no pink. Roasts I put in to my Instant Pot, so they are falling apart done.

For me, it's the greens I worry about. Look at how many reports of food poisoning can be traced to salad greens, sprouts, and recently papayas. It's hard to cook lettuce and have it still be a salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness