Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
WRONG. Just 100% wrong.

http://www.whale.to/c/2016-BCN-BCBSM...am-Booklet.pdf

Read this PDF, produced by a health insurance company and given to physicians.

It details what tests, screenings, types of drugs and refills, as well as vaccines, that physicians will be paid for.

Read it, and educate yourself.

$400 for a vaccine combo
$200 for a depression screening (PHQ9)
$100 for breast cancer screening

There is also a point system for other types of drugs (RA, hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes) where the physicians get paid if they can get patients to fill and refill prescriptions.

So yes, doctors DO get paid more if they get patients to agree to drugs, screenings, testing and vaccines.

Read the PDF.
Quote:
WRONG. Just 100% wrong.

http://www.whale.to/c/2016-BCN-BCBSM...am-Booklet.pdf

Read this PDF, produced by a health insurance company and given to physicians. They do get paid for if patients get certain screenings, drugs, vaccines, tests.
It's an incentive program for doing things that keep patients from getting sick and having to go into the hospital.

Bottom line: healthier patients cost the insurance company less money, even after the company pays for tests and medications, including vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
She's not pushing tests on me, she's pushing some of injections for bone density, and and of course she can't force anything on me, she just doesn't want to take no for an answer. Interestingly enough, she wasn't like this two years ago. The only reason I'm keeping this appointment is because I don't have the time to research out another doctor right now, But this is the end, I'll find another one.
testing bone density is usually by x ray (DXA) or a QCT. What on earth does she mean by an injection? You need to pin her down on what she's recommending and why...there seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere

Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
testing bone density is usually by x ray (DXA) or a QCT. What on earth does she mean by an injection? You need to pin her down on what she's recommending and why...there seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere
There are now injectable medications to treat osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis treatment: Medications can help - Mayo Clinic

Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Maybe meaning injections that are given for bone growth by pharma drug injeciton. I wouldn't use them but work alternatively to build and strengthen bones.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
What are the prunes supposed to do? Fortunately I've been able to reverse my osteopenia with exercise and making sure I get enough calcium, because if I had to depend on prunes, I'd have to spend so much time in the bathroom there wouldn't be time to exercise!
They are good for your bones. Chew thoroughly and drink water whenever you eat fiber. The fiber will keep your colon running smoothly, so no grunting or groaning or pain when you go. Two prunes a day will not keep you running to the bathroom constantly. I eat a very high fiber diet of whole plant based foods and I only go 2-3 times a day. It's normal to go at least 1-3 times a day. The only downside is you use more toilet paper.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's an incentive program for doing things that keep patients from getting sick and having to go into the hospital.

Bottom line: healthier patients cost the insurance company less money, even after the company pays for tests and medications, including vaccines.
Bottom line: Physicians are being paid if patients get screenings, testing, vaccines and take drugs and get refills.

No debate about that. This info is for those who have wondered WHY the physician is talking incessantly about QRS when they came in for XYZ.

Now you know. They get paid for it.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Bottom line: Physicians are being paid if patients get screenings, testing, vaccines and take drugs and get refills.

No debate about that. This info is for those who have wondered WHY the physician is talking incessantly about QRS when they came in for XYZ.

Now you know. They get paid for it.
Yes, doctors get paid for taking care of patients and trying to keep them healthy. There is no big conspiracy to make money for Big Pharma.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm posting this with my tongue in cheek, but with a wee bit of seriousness, too.

Just had a wellness check-up, Medicare variety, from my NP (nurse practioner)

Was asked and/or offered tests for colon, breasts, bones, etc. Vaccines for various ailments. I ended up feeling I was parceled out like chicken parts in the meat section...no questions about overall aches, pains, diet, nutrition, quality of sleep, amount of exercise and such.

I know I am the total sum of my parts, but gee whiz, I am also a living, breathing organism whose health and well-being are greatly influenced by lifestyle. And a physical exam can show swelling, sore points, etc.

Never once was I examined in a hands-on kind of way -- except for being cuffed for blood pressure. Just asked verbally lots of questions. Remember the good old days -- when doctors actually touched you? Am I weird? I think the technology side of medicine, while terrific diagnostic tools, should be coupled with healing hands-on, too.

Or is my NP different from your doc?
I'm wondering if that's all Medicare gets you. Maybe all you get is the no-frills version of a checkup.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
She's not pushing tests on me, she's pushing some of injections for bone density, and and of course she can't force anything on me, she just doesn't want to take no for an answer. Interestingly enough, she wasn't like this two years ago. The only reason I'm keeping this appointment is because I don't have the time to research out another doctor right now, But this is the end, I'll find another one.
How does she know you need injections for bone density? Have you had bone density testing? The only docs I ever knew who offered bone density screening were those who don't accept insurance. Insurance-based doctors don't seem concerned with that, with prevention.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Nope....wrong again....that is NOT how it works...

Docs/NP's/PA's don't see a DIME more if you say yes to a test or vaccine or a prescription, absolute rubbish

This. I don't know how they'd make money by ordering tests for another doc or technician to perform, anyway, do you? They don't get kickbacks from the imaging center or blood lab.

Doctors get paid by insurance even if they don't perform any service, and deny or refuse to discuss all your concerns. They don't really have to do anything during the appointment, unless it's for an annual checkup; then they have to go through the minimal motions, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness