Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 06:36 PM

939 posts, read 787,346 times

Advertisements

This how-to video segment aired on the (Johnny Carson) Tonight Show about five years after it was invented. It also shows how to administer it to yourself and babies.

According to this Wiki link, there is some controversy as to who really came up with the idea, which could explain why it is now only referred to as Abdominal Thrusts.

Aside from that, just curious if anyone in the health field, or otherwise, can shed some light if they too are now administering/recommending five slaps on the back first (mentioned in the Wiki link only), before the ab thrusts, or can relay any info regarding patients, victims, or family members success with both, or just the thrusts.

…In spring 2006, the American Red Cross "downgraded" the use of the Heimlich maneuver, essentially returning to the pre-1986 guidelines.

For conscious victims, the new guidelines (nicknamed "the five and five"), recommend first applying five back-blows; if this method fails to remove the airway obstruction, rescuers will then apply five abdominal thrusts.

For unconscious victims, the new guidelines recommend chest thrusts, a method first recommended in a 1976 study by Charles Guildner, with results duplicated in a year 2000 study by Audun Langhelle.
The 2006 guidelines also eliminated the phrase "Heimlich maneuver" and replaced it with "abdominal thrust”….

As an aside, when host and guest are rising from their seats for a demonstration of the technique, HH takes a comical jab at Carson, the first of three of his strikes!

The actual technique starts @ 4:00, and ends @ 10:45. The poster then repeats parts of it twice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4DQsyHl8Lw

Here is a how-to on the correct technique and target for the back-slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZFE0D29--M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Heimlich

Last edited by noregon98; 08-20-2017 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Added Wiki link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Thanks, great information, could save you life.

Here is a shorter video, only 1 minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEr9jjZ6fi8

Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 PM

939 posts, read 787,346 times
Thanks for your link as well. I liked the placing of the fist on the navel and then rolling it into the correct spot.

I don't think I'll ever have to use it on another or myself, and sure hope not on either count, yet my concern was if I had to use it on another, do we have to do the backslaps first, since many people have been saved without them for quite some time now.

Just wondering in the legal sense too, as those backslaps are pretty forceful and look even easier to land in the wrong area, especially in this pull out your iPhone and immediately post someone else for your very own YouTube audience era.

And don't forget too, the backslapping may involve having to put your arm around the chest area of a complete $tranger,... it better be necessary, whether or not you actually save them.

If push came to shove, I would probably just do the chest thrusts, as you don't need to do bakslaps on yourself either to save a life.

The Carson link was a little lengthy, but it included others, yourself, and babies, all in one vid.

Perhaps I'll take a refresher course, or maybe if I see some firefighters/paramedics in the supermarket;

Hey crew, quick yes or no question please. Choking/Heimlich maneuver...backslaps first?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Had to perform this on a co-worker about 11 years ago. She was chocking on a nut. Being a former EMT you never forget what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness