Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM

48,381 posts, read 34,511,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Contempt is not the right word at all. Its sadness and confusion.

I see so many people who have already decided that a healthy old age is not in the cards. You may call it "being prepared" but it reads to me like fatalism.

I believe in the law of attraction. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle. I know unexpected things can happen. Why will them into your world with an expectation?

Personally, I think this whole idea is a ploy to sell houses. Why stay in your beautiful 2 story when social pressure is that you need to move to a condo or ranch? Again, I know that some people really do. But I hear so many youngish, healthy, able-bodied people who are "looking ahead" in this way. I also hear young people who decry the dangers of stairs. Humans have lived with stairs for centuries. Its just odd to me. Is this really how we want to be? Afraid of a staircase?

Well, you will attract what you are putting out there on this thread, so well done!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM

14,213 posts, read 11,504,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And more than EVER people are lining up for hip and knee replacements even starting in their 40's....
Quote:
I don't know a single person who has had a knee replacement in their 40s or 50s. Much less a hip replacement. I have a colleague who used to play semi professional sports and is having knee surgery at 61. But that is me.
I don't, either. I know of a few knee surgeries in 40s-50s, which is my age group--my husband had a meniscus repair in his mid-40s, and he's fine now--but no knee or hip replacements, not in 40s or 50s. That would definitely be the exception, rather than the norm.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:22 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,440,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, you will attract what you are putting out there on this thread, so well done!
I guess I should know better than to try and have an open discourse But I am glad to see at least a few people who have not bought into this idea that aging automatically means infirmity and that you are already "old" at 50 and need to start prepping.

We are all living longer....

Old 08-24-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Why pseudo? I am sad that people seem to expect this in their future.

They DON'T, you are projecting.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM

613 posts, read 938,993 times
Quote:
I do believe that if people moved more, had healthier lifestyles and tried to stay healthy into old age, this stairless necessity might not be so important for so many.
You can do all the healthier lifestyle you want; but there's very little way you can predict what might happen to you when you're 70, 75, or 80. Plus, you're not even 40 yet, right? There's no way you can really "get" aging yet; unless you've been forced to deal with a failing parent or grandparent perhaps.

And then you say, when someone cites statistics about: Falls down a flight of stairs:
It makes me really sad to see posts like this. Its one thing to be safety conscious, but seriously? This is like saying you should never have a bathtub because you can drown, a bed because you can suffocate under the covers, etc.
What? I'm sorry, but those are just ridiculous analogies. And what is your point? Besides insulting older (than you) people who are planning ahead? People who don't like stairs. People who prefer single story houses? People who are sensibly conscious?

You're offering nothing helpful whatsoever.....And you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

BTW, I'm in my mid-60's........

Heck, our 23 year old son had two knee surgeries - he didn't plan on that happening.

24,012 posts, read 28,366,729 times
Sigh.

You said 50s and 60s in your OP. Now you are saying middle aged and younger. Different things.

You do seem disdainful of people who are making decisions for reasons you assume to be laziness/inactivity. It certainly may well be that for some but not all. Since we cannot know what any person or couple base their personal decisions on I don't understand the need to speculate in the negative. Or frankly even speculate at all. Why not just let them go along with their choices believing they know their situation and reasons better than anyone else? It may be "sad" or it may be wise. Not anyone else's concern really.

A coworker of mine recently retired at 65. She was very healthy, slim and active. Until she got some sort of virus that attacked her heart. She had heart surgery to implant a defib. but she still gets tired easily. That combined with low bone density has made her concerned about falling. Being fit did not help with those issues.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,606,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't, either. I know of a few knee surgeries in 40s-50s, which is my age group--my husband had a meniscus repair in his mid-40s, and he's fine now--but no knee or hip replacements, not in 40s or 50s. That would definitely be the exception, rather than the norm.
It's true replacements at younger ages is the exception, my hip replacement was at 72. Check bonesmart.com and one finds all ranges of ages and yes 40'-50's....

I think people should stay where they feel comfortable, I'm just HAPPY to be on one floor and I spoke of the ones I knew about who had stairs to climb with troubled joints.

My upstairs neighbor was hit with RA a couple yrs ago and she has two dogs and walks SLOWLY up and down the stairs every day to walk her dogs. Her life has changed a lot and she's early 60's.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:33 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,606,435 times
Quote:
I guess I should know better than to try and have an open discourse But I am glad to see at least a few people who have not bought into this idea that aging automatically means infirmity and that you are already "old" at 50 and need to start prepping.

We are all living longer....
I was still dancing in my later 50's and came in from the gym workouts in mid 60's....so I was VERY ACTIVE
all my life prior and walked miles around our town. Wear and tear happens

Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,870,335 times
People have been brainwashed to assume a lot about aging. People are buying insurance for LTC, for cancer treatments fully EXPECTING to get cancer!!!

Absolute self fulfilling prophecies. How about instead of buying or planning on buying that ranch house, you get off your but and TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY??

How about instead of planning for cancer, you lay off the processed food, lose weight, cut back on sugar and carbs and eat healthier, make sure you get enough sleep and take a walk every day???

I can only shake my head. Some will never EVER understand this, keep eating the doritoes, sitting on the couch binge-watching TV and wait for sickness and bad knees to overtake them and then say HA!!! I told you I'd have bad knees and cancer!! SO glad I PLANNED FOR IT.

They will never realize that their planning stages had to do with lifestyle, not financial choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness