Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Of course a healthy lifestyle is important but to believe it is a guarantee to prevent issues with stairs is simply not the case.

Moving homes is both expensive and difficult. People are often attempting to avoid potential problems. It's like those who say they don't need life insurance because they are young, healthy and active. Planning for the possibility isn't the same as resigning oneself to the inevitable.
How is it not?

You are buying a house with the idea that you won't be able to climb stairs. Major purchase and you are limiting your options to one stories, sometimes decades ahead of when you may or may not actually need to. That sure sounds like resignation to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
I've wondered the question in the OP.

When my husband and I were house hunting to buy the house we have now, our realtor asked us if we were "sure" we didn't really want a bungalow. Because of the stair climbing thing. We were in our early 40s, and active. The house we bought has two storeys, and a basement laundry room. Oh the horror! lol

I'm not sentimental, so I can't imagine clinging to this house if I for some reason can't get around. We'll deal with mobility issues when/if we have to.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I've wondered the question in the OP.

When my husband and I were house hunting to buy the house we have now, our realtor asked us if we were "sure" we didn't really want a bungalow. Because of the stair climbing thing. We were in our early 40s, and active. The house we bought has two storeys, and a basement laundry room. Oh the horror! lol

I'm not sentimental, so I can't imagine clinging to this house if I for some reason can't get around. We'll deal with mobility issues when/if we have to.
Exactly. There are stair lifts you can put in for heaven's sake.

I think its really sad that healthy people who are too young to worry about this yet are organizing their lives around an idea of infirmity. I am not talking about people who are already infirm. I am talking about adults who are still moving with ease. And I even bought into this idea enough to ask my doctor about it.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
...or you could move to a single story house when you are 50 or 60, continue to have an active and healthy lifestyle and not have to move at 70 or 80 or if your elderly parents move in or you have an unforeseen (or even foreseen) health ussue.

Many of us are not home all day - we work outside the home and our activity is planned outside the home in any event. Walking before or after work, taking the stairs rather than the elevator, parking a distance away from the entrance, going to the gym, yard work on weekends.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
How is it not?

You are buying a house with the idea that you won't be able to climb stairs. Major purchase and you are limiting your options to one stories, sometimes decades ahead of when you may or may not actually need to. That sure sounds like resignation to me.
Did you even read my first post?

There are a host of reasons one might be wise to plan ahead. Not all of them have to do with laziness or resignation.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
...or you could move to a single story house when you are 50 or 60, continue to have an active and healthy lifestyle and not have to move at 70 or 80 or if your elderly parents move in.

Many of us are not home all day - we work outside the home and our activity is planned outside the home in any event. Walking before or after work, taking the stairs rather than the elevator, yard work on weekends.
I don't know what being home all day has to do with anything. I am not home all day, but another poster said she worked from home.

We will have to agree to disagree. I believe that a lot of health has to do with attitude and positivity. Picture yourself unable to move and plunk down a bunch of money on a house 20 years before that even happens, and dollars to donuts your prophecy will be fulfilled.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Single-story homes are safer at any age. Falls (along with bicycles) are a leading cause of injuries resulting in a trip to the ER. Falls down a flight of stairs are among the worst and most common kinds. There are much lower risk exercises that one can do. Climbing up and down actual stairs is akin to having unprotected sex. It's a case of asking for trouble.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Climbing up and down actual stairs is akin to having unprotected sex.
Well, that's a non-sequitur.

I'm happily married and have been having unprotected sex for over 20 years now AND going up and down stairs, so I guess I'm just a risk-taker at heart.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, that's a non-sequitur.

I'm happily married and have been having unprotected sex for over 20 years now AND going up and down stairs, so I guess I'm just a risk-taker at heart.
HAHA! You are truly a renegade. Me too!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Single-story homes are safer at any age. Falls (along with bicycles) are a leading cause of injuries resulting in a trip to the ER. Falls down a flight of stairs are among the worst and most common kinds. There are much lower risk exercises that one can do. Climbing up and down actual stairs is akin to having unprotected sex. It's a case of asking for trouble.
It makes me really sad to see posts like this. Its one thing to be safety conscious, but seriously? This is like saying you should never have a bathtub because you can drown, a bed because you can suffocate under the covers, etc.

Come on guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness