Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

There are some really unhappy people on this forum. This must really be a triggering discussion. All I am saying is that I don't understand this negative view of the future. Chairlift when you need it is much less Draconian a solution than a new house. That's it. So much anger and bitterness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
We built our house in our 20's, and the architect was ABSOLUTELY inspired when he said put everything you need on the first floor. Because if you want to live in this home all your lives (which we intended and have done so far) you'll want to not have to climb stairs. It's been great. Master bedroom and bath, living room, kitchen, utility room are all on first floor, 3 bedrooms and a bath and a smaller living area are upstairs. If we can no longer climb the stairs we just won't ever go up there and can have a maid come and clean up there every 6 months or so.

Meanwhile, we've had people come visit us who can't climb stairs. Perfect. They can have the master, and we'll move upstairs while they're visiting.

I intend to live long enough that I won't happily sprint up stairs several times a day, although in my 50's, right now, I'm very fit and it's not a problem at all. It will be, that much I know, if I am lucky enough to live to 80's. Because that's reality.

Emo, honestly your posts remind me of women who are pregnant saying stuff like well we're not going to let the baby change our lifestyle, we're still going to do all the things we did before we had a baby, etc. Women like that seem unable to observe and believe what they see happen when couples have a baby - suddenly, they're very tired and it's harder to get out and socialize and do all the things you used to do. Priorities change. Likewise, you don't seem to be able to observe what happens when people age. They become less able to climb stairs.

If you observe that old people typically have trouble climbing stairs, it's good to synthesize that thought into, therefore, when I'm that age it's very likely I also won't be able to climb stairs.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:10 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
There are some really unhappy people on this forum. This must really be a triggering discussion. All I am saying is that I don't understand this negative view of the future. Chairlift when you need it is much less Draconian a solution than a new house. That's it. So much anger and bitterness.

Nope. No anger or bitterness from here. We ARE laughing about it though!

You didn't answer my questions......
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We built our house in our 20's, and the architect was ABSOLUTELY inspired when he said put everything you need on the first floor. Because if you want to live in this home all your lives (which we intended and have done so far) you'll want to not have to climb stairs. It's been great. Master bedroom and bath, living room, kitchen, utility room are all on first floor, 3 bedrooms and a bath and a smaller living area are upstairs. If we can no longer climb the stairs we just won't ever go up there and can have a maid come and clean up there every 6 months or so.

Meanwhile, we've had people come visit us who can't climb stairs. Perfect. They can have the master, and we'll move upstairs while they're visiting.

I intend to live long enough that I won't happily sprint up stairs several times a day, although in my 50's, right now, I'm very fit and it's not a problem at all. It will be, that much I know, if I am lucky enough to live to 80's. Because that's reality.

Emo, honestly your posts remind me of women who are pregnant saying stuff like well we're not going to let the baby change our lifestyle, we're still going to do all the things we did before we had a baby, etc. Women like that seem unable to observe and believe what they see happen when couples have a baby - suddenly, they're very tired and it's harder to get out and socialize and do all the things you used to do. Priorities change. Likewise, you don't seem to be able to observe what happens when people age. They become less able to climb stairs.

If you observe that old people typically have trouble climbing stairs, it's good to synthesize that thought into, therefore, when I'm that age it's very likely I also won't be able to climb stairs.
Bingo. I was thinking the same thing.

And it's always great when posters who are so invested in being right, bring out the "wow I must have hit a nerve since everyone [who doesn't agree with me] is SO DEFENSIVE!"

Not defensive here.. I currently live in a 2 story home, with no intention of moving soon. No issues with stairs and may never. Who knows? But if I do move it will be to a one story home. For a variety of reasons already mentioned.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
I guess I should know better than to posit this question on CD! I'm going to stick with the advice of my medical professional. I hope that all of you find peace with your choices.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Sounds like good planning when building your house. That's a big house.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sounds like good planning when building your house. That's a big house.
It's actually not all that big - just lots of rooms! ;D

Old 08-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I guess I should know better than to posit this question on CD! I'm going to stick with the advice of my medical professional. I hope that all of you find peace with your choices.
Another thought would be to ask a realtor. The trend is definitely going away from houses where necessary things are on the second floor. I've had friends sell houses recently and have had a hard time unloading a house where the master is not on the ground floor.

Also, where the front door doesn't face east. ;D

Old 08-24-2017, 01:16 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:

Everyone IS discussing it, you aren't responding to what people say, you won't answer questions.....

Here we have what is called bachi, and basically we would caution you here on bachi. Because you are being so judgmental on something as innocuous as someone choice in house configuration..... you will bring the lesson down on yourself and not be able to use stairs in the future....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2017, 01:16 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
I just re-read your original post and can't understand why people get so upset. Everyone just posted their experiences. Yes, I run into a lot of angry people who want to attack and debate here at C-D. And have to remember it's a huge forum with people from all over the world.

I didn't plan for this nasty staph infection to hit my knee last year. And now I'm paying dearly for what has happened to my knee.

We can just plan so much for old age, like save ENUF money to help us thru it all, but aging happens. I was going to write a book Forever 39, I loved that age and 40's and here I am 79, and no book. Doesn't matter.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-24-2017 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness