Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,936 times

Advertisements

I've had cipro several times without experiencing what you described.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:54 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
According to the paperwork I got with my recent cipro prescription (did you read yours?), tendon problems are more likely if you're over 60, and can show up some time after taking the drug.

diarrhea is the most common side effect, I think; I like acidophilus (sp?) GG probiotics. Culturelle offers that strain, others might, too.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
and another thing...

when you don't take the full course of antibiotics, you kill off the weakest germs, leaving a few strong ones. They breed ever stronger germs because they don't have to compete with the weak ones. And they do migrate from person to person, so you're not only making it harder for treatment to work on you in the future, you're making it harder for everybody.

This is an increasing problem, and drug companies are struggling to come up with stronger and stronger antibiotics--but the germs are keeping ahead of them; heard of MRSA? that's how they got so strong.

I suggest that you discuss possible side effects of new drugs with your doctor and/or pharmacist, and read the lengthy info sheets or research it online before starting the drug. After that, if you think it's a bad drug for you, don't take any of it, ask doc for something else.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Next time you should just ask your doctor for that antibiotic that has no side effects.

You know...that one...whats the name...oh, yeah - Nonexistatol.
LOL, a beta-blocker? (those drug names end in -ol.)

Old 08-26-2017, 06:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
You have to know your family's history of allergies, not just your own. My Dad was severely allergic to Penicillin. He went into cardiac arrest given a blood transfusion with trace amounts of Penicillin in it. I got double vision from Cipro. Cannot even shower in water with fluoride. I am fine with Penicillin. Your family's history of allergic reactions may not necessarily be exactly the same, but they are still there. I had food allergies as a child. My children had food allergies. To the SAME foods? No, but there still was a history of family food allergies. Same with antibiotics.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Good to hear from you but I can't and wont take cipro or anything like it again. After my experience with the drug reglan 5 years ago I am tired of being a lab rat. I hope my infection is clear by this point but I will take my chances rather than take cipro again.For the next several days I am going to load up (as much as I can stand)on vitamin C and D (taking 2000 mg of C every 2 hours and 25,000 iu of D daily)and let my white blood cells do their work.
Please notify your doctor, ASAP. S/he may want to prescribe a different antibiotic. It sounds like you needed one, or the doc wouldn't have prescribed Cipro in the first place.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
My friend was telling me that her MALE neighbor is going thru HAIL from 22 days of this class of abx...damaged tendons and more, spending $1000's for repairs, ended up with neuropathy -- unbelievable.

She didn't know Males could get UTI's but guess they do, is that right?

My friend took 2 levaquin generic and stopped, her wrists and back was starting to hurt more.

I posted a warning post on this class of abx drugs and it was closed.

I'm so thankful that the IV's for staph infection of knee that I went thru last year was not this class of abx drugs....

So many people do NOT know about the dangers of this class of abx and probably many ending up with so much damage and neuropathy and don't know why....

Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My friend was telling me that her MALE neighbor is going thru HAIL from 22 days of this class of abx...damaged tendons and more, spending $1000's for repairs, ended up with neuropathy -- unbelievable.

My friend took 2 levaquin generic and stopped, her wrists and back was starting to hurt more.

I'm so thankful that the IV's for staph infection of knee that I went thru last year was not this class of abx drugs....

So many people do NOT know about the dangers of this class of abx and probably many ending up with so much damage and neuropathy and don't know why....
Why should males not be able to get urinary infections? It is less common due to the obvious differences in anatomy, but it still happens.

It is really not necessary to post the same information about quinolone antibiotics in multiple threads. We get it; you think they should not be used at all.

However, the decision to use one should be based on a discussion of risk versus benefit for an individual patient. The choice of antibiotic depends on the sensitivity to the antibiotic of the bacteria causing the infection and such things as allergies to other antibiotics.

https://www.consultant360.com/articl...oquinolone-use

"In the general population, the estimated occurrence rate of fluoroquinolone-induced tendinopathy is from 0.14% to 0.4%." That is 1.4 to 4 per 1000 and means that 996 to 998 out of 1000 people who use one of that class of antibiotics will not get tendon damage.

"The association with Achilles tendinitis was stronger among individuals who were older than 60 years, who were not obese, and who used oral glucocorticoids. The association with tendon rupture was stronger in women."

The majority of people with tendon problems do not need surgery and recover without long term consequences.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:54 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

yep, people with urinary tracts get urinary tract infections.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I admit to NOT knowing it all. And so I do ask. I just can't believe these drugs are prescribed so much and cause so much damage...there are mounds and mounds of data on this subject. One link says "use as last resort".... they have black box warning. I guess it's OK for people to go thru so much damage from a prescribed drug.

On the male/female issue, it seems a lot of the info I've read is about females, but guess I never thought of it that much until I heard about my friend's male friend.

Thanks for the education from a few here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness