Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM

10,190 posts, read 6,244,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why should males not be able to get urinary infections? It is less common due to the obvious differences in anatomy, but it still happens.

It is really not necessary to post the same information about quinolone antibiotics in multiple threads. We get it; you think they should not be used at all.

However, the decision to use one should be based on a discussion of risk versus benefit for an individual patient. The choice of antibiotic depends on the sensitivity to the antibiotic of the bacteria causing the infection and such things as allergies to other antibiotics.

https://www.consultant360.com/articl...oquinolone-use

"In the general population, the estimated occurrence rate of fluoroquinolone-induced tendinopathy is from 0.14% to 0.4%." That is 1.4 to 4 per 1000 and means that 996 to 998 out of 1000 people who use one of that class of antibiotics will not get tendon damage.

"The association with Achilles tendinitis was stronger among individuals who were older than 60 years, who were not obese, and who used oral glucocorticoids. The association with tendon rupture was stronger in women."

The majority of people with tendon problems do not need surgery and recover without long term consequences.
I do not know how much they shot me up with in a Urgent Care Center for food poisoning, but I was over 60, female, and weighed less than 100 lbs. "Look how TINY she is". They gave me 750 mg. Cipro to take at home twice a day.

Day after going home I took TWO pills and started getting ringing in my ears and double vision. Call MY DOCTOR and ask if I should stop taking them? WHAT doctor? Do I need PERMISSION? I stopped them immediately. The ringing in my ears immediately stopped, but it took several MONTHS for my double vision to go away. I had to wear a patch over my left eye in order to drive and go to work.

I have heard years ago that medical professionals in NYC Hospitals were refusing to take CIPRO during that Anthrax scare. So why the hell are you giving that c---p to Me? If I knew what they were giving me, then I would have refused it.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 PM

15,114 posts, read 27,595,034 times
Okay....

Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,839,910 times
I had Levaquin a few years ago for bacterial pneumonia and Cipro recently for Pseudomonas aeruginosa. No ill effects from either. Of course I'm not an idiot so I don't pick up heavy things or do calisthenics. I won't start back on exercise for another month.

You guys can scare yourselves all you like but these are valuable drugs that save lives. I have compromised lungs and an untreated infection could make me very sick or very dead. No thanks.

If the OP had read the 3 page information sheet that came with the Cipro, he would have known that stopping in mid-course wasn't a good idea. If the information wasn't dispensed with the drug, he needs to have a talk with his pharmacist.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I had Levaquin a few years ago for bacterial pneumonia and Cipro recently for Pseudomonas aeruginosa. No ill effects from either. Of course I'm not an idiot so I don't pick up heavy things or do calisthenics. I won't start back on exercise for another month.

You guys can scare yourselves all you like but these are valuable drugs that save lives. I have compromised lungs and an untreated infection could make me very sick or very dead. No thanks.

If the OP had read the 3 page information sheet that came with the Cipro, he would have known that stopping in mid-course wasn't a good idea. If the information wasn't dispensed with the drug, he needs to have a talk with his pharmacist.
You obviously "know" this drug since you use it enough..millions probably do not and just thinking about my friend's male neighbor being put on it for 22 days for a UTI...it says on the link I posted on the other post that it should not to be used for UTI, sinus infection, bronchitis.

Talking to a person on my other group, she has a note in her file NOT to give her this abx.

Yes, I'm sure it can save lives, BUT...the big BUT.

There are so many who have what they call ideopathic neuropathy and I wouldn't doubt if a lot of the nerve damage was from this class of drugs. I'm sure not an expert on pharma drugs but I'm learning.

One would think the MD's who prescribe these drugs would discuss the negatives of them and the patient has the drug in their hands, paid for them and then reads about them. Pharmacy does NOT take drugs back, right?>

I'm thanking my lucky stars this was NOT the abx I took via IV for 2 months with staph infection. I did ask what drug I'm being given and it was not this class.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-26-2018 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 07:29 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,839,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You obviously "know" this drug since you use it enough..millions probably do not and just thinking about my friend's male neighbor being put on it for 22 days for a UTI...it says on the link I posted on the other post that it should not to be used for UTI, sinus infection, bronchitis.
You've never heard of off-label use? That's right, you probably haven't.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times
Quote:

Talking to a person on my other group, she has a note in her file NOT to give her this abx.

Yes, I'm sure it can save lives, BUT...the big BUT.

There are so many who have what they call ideopathic neuropathy and I wouldn't doubt if a lot of the nerve damage was from this class of drugs. I'm sure not an expert on pharma drugs but I'm learning.
Any antibiotic being given for 22 days sounds like more than a simple "UTI". It suggests a chronic, not an "uncomplicated" urinary tract infection, possibly involving the kidneys. "This class of drugs" is still indicated for treating kidney infections.

Neuropathy:

https://juniperpublishers.com/oajnn/....ID.555604.pdf

"The accumulated data over years suggest a possible but not definite association between fluoroquinolones use and peripheral neuropathy. Prospective studies are required to further establish such association. In the absence of more robust data, the current recommendation by FDA is to monitor for the symptoms of neuropathy in patients receiving systemic fluoroquinolones and to discontinue the medication should such symptoms arise. These medications should be avoided in patients with past history of neuropathy symptoms in association with fluoroquinolones.

Perhaps you should "doubt" that "this class of drugs" is causing "a lot of the nerve damage".

Quote:
One would think the MD's who prescribe these drugs would discuss the negatives of them and the patient has the drug in their hands, paid for them and then reads about them. Pharmacy does NOT take drugs back, right?
Doctors do talk about drugs. Patients do not hear what is being said, especially if they are sick. If you have questions, ask them.

I have not picked up a prescription in many years that did not come with printed instructions about the drug. There is also an opportunity to speak with a pharmacist and ask questions about a new drug. You could ask for the info before buying the drug.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-26-2018 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You've never heard of off-label use? That's right, you probably haven't.
No all I know this younger man is a busy person and started with the drug and was doing his job etc etc and ended up with all the damage. Spending $1000's working on repairs and living with neuropathy. Was he supposed to read all about it before he went to pharmacy to get it, or was he supposed to read the insert at the pharmacy. Many people just trust doctors and the drugs they are prescribed, I suppose....but many are learning the hard way, I did years ago with a drug that sent me to the ER with stomach ulcer....another drug story.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Any antibiotic being given for 22 days sounds like more than a simple "UTI". It suggests a chronic, not an "uncomplicated" urinary tract infection, possibly involving the kidneys. "This class of drugs" is still indicated for treating kidney infections.

Neuropathy:

https://juniperpublishers.com/oajnn/....ID.555604.pdf

"The accumulated data over years suggest a possible but not definite association between fluoroquinolones use and peripheral neuropathy. Prospective studies are required to further establish such association. In the absence of more robust data, the current recommendation by FDA is to monitor for the symptoms of neuropathy in patients receiving systemic fluoroquinolones and to discontinue the medication should such symptoms arise. These medications should be avoided in patients with past history of neuropathy symptoms in association with fluoroquinolones.

Perhaps you should "doubt" that "this class of drugs" is causing "a lot of the nerve damage".

Doctors do talk about drugs. Patients do not hear what is being said, especially if they are sick. If you have questions, ask them.

I have not picked up a prescription in many years that did not come with printed instructions about the drug. There is also an opportunity to speak with a pharmacist and ask questions about a new drug. You could ask for the info before buying the drug.
Why don't they talk about drugs...this seems only logical. I can't help think there must have been other drugs besides this class to prescribe. I don't know about how chronic the infection was etc. Again this is not from the horse's mouth to my ears and maybe if that were the case I would have asked him more, who knows. I just know there are tons of patients comments on damages from these drugs.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times
Quote:
Why don't they talk about drugs...this seems only logical. I can't help think there must have been other drugs besides this class to prescribe. I don't know about how chronic the infection was etc. Again this is not from the horse's mouth to my ears and maybe if that were the case I would have asked him more, who knows. I just know there are tons of patients comments on damages from these drugs.
Have you considered perhaps that information that is not "from the horse's mouth" might be unreliable?

You do not know that the person you are talking about was not advised about the risk of the drug. Doctors do talk to patients about meds! If he had been told that between one and four people per thousand who take the drug have tendon complications, would he have refused it?

The 996 to 999 out of a thousand who take it with no problems are not on the internet talking about their experiences. What you do not know is how many people you are acquainted with have taken Cipro or another drug in the class without any adverse effects. Why would they even mention it to you?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 PM

I believe a good deal of what I was told. Why would this young man go down to my friend's apt with a long print out of the damage done by the drug(s) he's been taking. He had no clue about this class and just kept taking them...and the damage kept happening.

Again and I've asked this countless numbers of times, WHY can't pharma give us drugs with much much much less side effects or no side effects. All these brilliant chemists and this is what we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness