Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I believe a good deal of what I was told. Why would this young man go down to my friend's apt with a long print out of the damage done by the drug(s) he's been taking. He had no clue about this class and just kept taking them...and the damage kept happening.

Again and I've asked this countless numbers of times, WHY can't pharma give us drugs with much much much less side effects or no side effects. All these brilliant chemists and this is what we get.
Why did that young man not talk to his doctor?

It's been explained to you before. There will never be a drug without the potential for side effects.

It's chemistry.

That said, millions take prescription drugs every day with no side effects from them, including fluoroquinolones.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Wondering where this legal action is now:

https://www.drugwatch.com/cipro-leva...elox/lawsuits/

Old 03-27-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why did that young man not talk to his doctor?

It's been explained to you before. There will never be a drug without the potential for side effects.

It's chemistry.

That said, millions take prescription drugs every day with no side effects from them, including fluoroquinolones.
I was not there with the young man...and what he asked the doctor. Many don't think to ask doctors a bunch of questions and as you said I believe, doctors don't talk about drugs!!!!! Many don't go to doctors period unless really necessary and some live at doctor's offices and they have it down to a science what they ask, if there is even time to ask.

Besides I don't think doctors like to be questioned.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-27-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I was not there with the young man...and what he asked the doctor. Many don't think to ask doctors a bunch of questions and as you said I believe, doctors don't talk about drugs!!!!! Many don't go to doctors period unless really necessary and some live at doctor's offices and they have it down to a science what they ask, if there is even time to ask.

Besides I don't think doctors like to be questioned.
Since you do not use doctors how are you so certain about what they do or do not say? Since you were "not there with the young man" how do you know what his doctor said? How do you know the "young man" was not given printed info when he got the medication from the drug store?

The answer is that you do not, and your opinion on the matter is based entirely on assumptions about someone you do not even know without facts to support them.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM

Oh please Suzy, you said YOURSELF, doctors don't like to talk about drugs...shall I look for your words? I hear enough people here talk about doctor experiences and it's true I don't go often once or twice a year if I'm lucky and keep healthy.

As far as assumptions, everything out there can be classified as an assumption even all those stats from the science world. I believe what my neighbor told me,,,

Old 03-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Oh please Suzy, you said YOURSELF, doctors don't like to talk about drugs...shall I look for your words? I hear enough people here talk about doctor experiences and it's true I don't go often once or twice a year if I'm lucky and keep healthy.

As far as assumptions, everything out there can be classified as an assumption even all those stats from the science world. I believe what my neighbor told me,,,
You can look all you want to. I have never said "doctors don't like to talk about drugs".

Those "stats from the science world" are based on facts.

The fact is that you have absolutely no way to know what "the young man's" doctor said because you were not there. You have absolutely no way to know what information he was given at the drug store because you were not there.

What your neighbor told you is hearsay.

I will stop now before I am accused of "bickering".

Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Timely discussion (even though the thread started a year ago).

I started taking Cipro yesterday only to discontinue it after 2 pills. No way am I touching that drug although even a one day dose did more for a stubborn UTI than the previously prescribed Bactrim.

Woke up last night with weird muscle spasms and so started googling at 3am. The nurse had emphasized there might be side effects but I had no idea their impact might be permanent or include tendon tears or even retinal detachment. And that the side effects can occur well after the drug is discontinued.

This means some may develop conditions they never attribute to the Cipro.

I took Cipro in 2005 for a UTI then a few months later developed unexplained muscle weakness plus nerve hyper excitability and occasional spascity. The weakness resolved over many months and the other issues are not that problematic. Never got a neurological diagnosis even though extensive testing was done and there's no progressive muscular disease.

But I'm just now wondering if the symptoms in 2005 were due to that Cipro dose? One of the reasons the clinic prescribed it yesterday was that I reported prior use with no problems. Maybe I was wrong.

In any case, I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to ask for a different prescription. The Cipro was prescribed by a CVS Minute Clinic. Per the internet, it's now contraindicated for UTIs as simply too dangerous and should be reserved for much more serious conditions.

Fortunately ... the current muscle spasms seem to be gradually dissipating as the 2 pill dose is metabolized.

(Like another poster I also had an intense muscular reaction to Reglan including akathisia, a movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and inability to stay still. I took myself off it immediately; later my gastroenterologist was appalled that it had been prescribed by the ER.)

Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Timely discussion (even though the thread started a year ago).

I started taking Cipro yesterday only to discontinue it after 2 pills. No way am I touching that drug although even a one day dose did more for a stubborn UTI than the previously prescribed Bactrim.

Woke up last night with weird muscle spasms and so started googling at 3am. The nurse had emphasized there might be side effects but I had no idea their impact might be permanent or include tendon tears or even retinal detachment. And that the side effects can occur well after the drug is discontinued.

This means some may develop conditions they never attribute to the Cipro.

I took Cipro in 2005 for a UTI then a few months later developed unexplained muscle weakness plus nerve hyper excitability and occasional spascity. The weakness resolved over many months and the other issues are not that problematic. Never got a neurological diagnosis even though extensive testing was done and there's no progressive muscular disease.

But I'm just now wondering if the symptoms in 2005 were due to that Cipro dose? One of the reasons the clinic prescribed it yesterday was that I reported prior use with no problems. Maybe I was wrong.

In any case, I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to ask for a different prescription. The Cipro was prescribed by a CVS Minute Clinic. Per the internet, it's now contraindicated for UTIs as simply too dangerous and should be reserved for much more serious conditions.

Fortunately ... the current muscle spasms seem to be gradually dissipating as the 2 pill dose is metabolized.

(Like another poster I also had an intense muscular reaction to Reglan including akathisia, a movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and inability to stay still. I took myself off it immediately; later my gastroenterologist was appalled that it had been prescribed by the ER.)
Oh interesting, my neighbor stopped after taking 2 of the 5 tablets prescribed to her. She's continuing with a supplement she has taken and the doc told her to get off it.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:43 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
I’ve taken full courses of cipro twice with no side effects or problems afterward.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I’ve taken full courses of cipro twice with no side effects or problems afterward.
You are very very fortunate....

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-04-2018 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness