Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times

Advertisements

What is the "TREND" of which you speak in the title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know if this is directed to me, if so, I'm 79. I have young adult grandkids and so do my friends and I and they see good trends toward better health. They see their parents and grandparents not so great health issues.

I don't have my head in the sand and I observe from other health groups I'm a member and talk to a lot of friends with like minds.
Ok then....especially at 80! Trust me, at 80, I will only be counting my blessings that I'm still alive and most definitely not concerned about what other people are eating...I never want to be "that old lady".

Old 08-28-2017, 05:22 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What is the "TREND" of which you speak in the title?
I think it has to do with her grandkids eating healthy?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
At least I see it with my grandkids almost 18 and 21. Still would like to see grandson back off more on sugars. They both saw their mother very sick on interactions from pharma drugs and watched their father die from lung cancer at 55. So they've seen illness and death in their short lives.

Younger people have tuned in decades ago via internet to health issues and so many alternatives and again they saw cancers, diabetes, MS, etc etc in their parents and don't want to go there.

I did NOT have the luxury of the net telling me about getting off Sugars and carbs, nor did my parents or theirs for that matter. And to cut back on sodium.

Maybe some of you have stories about your children and their health path.
I sub in 10 school districts and coach sports, so I have a lot of interaction with teenagers. For the most part, I don't see a trend with teenagers taking advantage of the information that is available to them on health. I often teach health classes and have stressed the diabetes epidemic. It only seems to make an impact with the students who have a relative who has had a toe or leg amputated due to diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I don't pay attention to young'uns but have read about an obesity epidemic among them today. Looking back at family album photos from the 1950s and early 60s, I see maybe 1 kid in 10 who looks overweight and less than that who look morbidly obese.

That's certainly not scientific. Just sayin'. Yeah, we and our parents may not have know much about nutrition, so I guess we were more active. The old saw about not being able to outrun your fork may not be 100% correct.
My memory of the 1960s is similar. I remember very few obese people. I don't know if people were more active. My memory is that girls and adults go very little exercise other than housework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So the trend is eating healthy?

Young people have always tried/enjoyed fads. Look at music, dancing, and other social activities.
I agree. Fad diets have gotten more popular but some such as vegetarian diets have been around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Since we're talking about generational issues with food, just a few decades ago I don't remember so many people (especially younger people) having, or claiming to have, intolerance to certain things like gluten that we see now.
Yes, issues such as allergies and asthma were virtually unheard of when I was growing up in the 1960s. Yet we have less pollution, smoking, etc. today.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:16 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Yes, issues such as allergies and asthma were virtually unheard of when I was growing up in the 1960s. Yet we have less pollution, smoking, etc. today.

I was just reading Pandora's Lab and they brought that up. It's possibly a side effect of antibiotic use during childhood.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I think it has to do with her grandkids eating healthy?
2 people= not a trend.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
2 people= not a trend.
My point exactly.....and yet here we are 4 pages later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness