Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:00 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?

Common symptoms of sciatica include:
• Lower back pain
•Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting
• Hip pain
•Burning or tingling down the leg
• Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
•A constant pain on one side of the rear
•A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/guide/sciatica-symptoms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:23 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I have found that ice helps when I have a muscle injury. Sometimes I'll alternate heat and ice. Are you taking Advil or Aleve? It will help with the inflammation besides helping the pain. You can take up to 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:33 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Sitting is one of the most dangerous things for your back long term. Your disks will degenerate and die. Do what I do. Set a timer. Every 15 minutes I require myself to get up and take a short walk and stretch. Keep the circulation going and keeps the spinal fluid moving and lubricating.

This problem gets worse, not better as you age. You really have to manage it aggressively and attentively.

Get this book and buy the lumbar pillows they sell. Cheap fixes that are really helpful and get you motivated and mentally involved in your back health.

https://www.optp.com/Treat-Your-Own-Back
https://www.optp.com/The-Original-McKenzie-Lumbar-Roll

And BE CAREFUL with YOGA. It is not a cure for back problems and can actually do damage:
https://www.prevention.com/fitness/6...ack-pain-worse
^^^^ All good advice from my experience, I had a compression fraction in lower back (LS) age 9 from fall off a horse. I was actually numb both legs for over a week. but could navigate slightly with crutches.

As I grew up my lower back was always my achilles heel so had to learn to strengthen all the supporting muscles groups that stabilize and assist with use of back muscles. If one sleeps on back or rests on back during an acute muscle spasm.. best elevate both knees bent (feet flat on bed or couch) with pillows .. I occasionally would use such OTC things like Robax which is a combo of anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant. IF you sleep on your side.. place pillows between your knees to maintain back alignment. IF standing .. always rotate with having one foot elevated on a rung or just put some telephone books on the floor to rest foot on. Also , occasionally use a "Magic bag" heated that helps provide moist warmth to area affected.

All this above are utilized during an acute phase and because the Lower back and pelvic girdle is a complicated mass of muscle and tendon groups one needs to figure out which of the above provides the best relief. There's nothings that instant cure, but takes time. In between attacks.. It's best to do some everyday strengthening maneuvers that will keep these acute situations at bay. Being female, and went through 2 full term pregnancies ... I sure appreciated my quarter century efforts that strengthened my abs!
I did have some issues as my career forced my to be on my feet, walking, running, lifting, pushing stretchers, etc etc daily. when I was nearing end of 3rd trimester have some right leg numbness, so when strutting down hallways always stayed close to wall to prevent trips and falls.

Anyway, OP good luck getting this under control. Do you recall just what you were doing when you pulled your back out of whack? Best, try to recall so you can avoid it as best you can! Good posture and using body mechanics when lifting will also protect your back.

How to Protect Your Back

snip~
Quote:
Lifting: “You really want to lift with your legs, not with your back,” Boden says. “You want to squat down and pick it up and stand up, as opposed to bending at the waist.”

“Another thing that can be particularly dangerous is lifting and twisting at the same time,” he says.

For example, you might be lifting a box from the floor to a table behind you. “If you’re lifting and turning at the same time to put the box up on the table, there’s something about the combined lifting and twisting that is probably somewhat risky mechanics,” Boden says, “as opposed to bending at the knees, lifting up the box and literally turning your whole body with your feet, rather than twisting your back.”

Old 08-26-2017, 02:22 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?

Common symptoms of sciatica include:
• Lower back pain
•Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting
• Hip pain
•Burning or tingling down the leg
• Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
•A constant pain on one side of the rear
•A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up

Sciatica Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Exercise
I have the lower back pain and shooting pain that makes it tough to stand. And I do feel a little bit of radiating pain down my right leg, but its not constant or bad. The rest of the symptoms I don't have.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
When I had a lower back strain I found that Doan's Pills worked really well for the pain.

I do still have lower back pain from time to time due to my work, lots of bending and lifting, and being a large chested woman. I find that regular hot soaks with Epsom salts help as well as using an acupressure mat like the Spoonk. About $30 on Amazon. I also see a massage therapist and a chiropractor regularly to take care of any problems. Good alignment and core muscle strength are also very important.

And if you, or anyone reading, are a large chested female. The right bra is a major key to avoiding back pain.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:08 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
I think I'll know when I'm 100% out of the woods, that's when it doesn't hurt to laugh, cough or sneeze anymore! A major sneeze can send a jolt of pain from that injured muscle that travels like a lightening bolt through my body!

Never knew how much you use your lower back muscles in laughing, coughing and sneezing. So no Netflix comedies for now!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
A strain like that in your lower back, upper glutes can be pretty painful. The worst one I've had was about 5-7 days of pretty intense spasms each of which is like a jolt that knocks the wind out of you. It took a couple weeks before I could work out again, and 2-3 months of being very careful when performing certain movements.

I think you want to go with alternating heat and cold, icy hot, and Aleve (if you take NSAIDS), if not try taking some turmeric and black pepper, as well as following an anti-inflammatory diet.

Weight training is safer than a lot of other activities, but you should never do more weight than you can with correct form, especially heavy lifts like the deadlift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness