Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:16 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Baloney. Statins are the biggest scam ever perpetrated by Big Pharma. Pfizer sold over $100 BILLION of Lipitor alone. Sure, it's good if you've already had a heart attack or if hypercholesterolemia runs in your family. But that represents about 5% of those who were prescribed it.

When statins started they were not a big deal. But then the geniuses at Pfizer figured out that if they could lower the total cholesterol number from 270, they could get tens of millions of Americans eligible. So GUESS WHAT? The studies came in, the number was reduced to 200, the TV advertising went crazy (what's your number), and the stock skyrocketed.

This is an interesting article that discusses the history of heart disease since the 1950's.

And there are dozens of books and thousands of articles discussing the statin scam.

The Greatest Health Scam In History Used President Eisenhower As A Pawn
They've done that with BP, and now we have "pre-diabetes" as a condition. Just keep lowering until they can get everyone on the drug.

People are CLUELESS.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They've done that with BP, and now we have "pre-diabetes" as a condition. Just keep lowering until they can get everyone on the drug.

People are CLUELESS.
People get brainwashed very easily. And some of the most brainwashed are the medical professionals.

Having gone to medical school does not mean you are immune to brainwashing.

Drugs, like surgery, should only be used when absolutely necessary. But we now have a culture where most people seem to think taking drugs is normal. And it actually has become normal, since the majority of Americans probably take at least one.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0619132352.htm

Old 07-01-2018, 05:16 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Did you read your own link? It says half the risk is genetic. From the link:

"The results, he said, should quell the cries of both those who emphasize genes above all and those who emphasize elements of lifestyle above all. 'It’s not nature or nurture, it’s both,' he said."

Since lifestyle changes are the foundation of treatment of lipid disorders, no one is minimizing them, and doctors do not put people on drugs without discussing those changes.

It does not matter, though. If lifestyle changes do not control abnormal lipids, medication can help, whether the lack of control is due to failure to make lifestyle changes or in spite of them.
The number of people taking these drugs is MUCH greater than the number who actually need them for genetic reasons.

You really are not aware of this??

Old 07-01-2018, 05:44 PM

375 posts, read 318,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
People get brainwashed very easily. And some of the most brainwashed are the medical professionals.

Having gone to medical school does not mean you are immune to brainwashing.

Drugs, like surgery, should only be used when absolutely necessary. But we now have a culture where most people seem to think taking drugs is normal. And it actually has become normal, since the majority of Americans probably take at least one.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0619132352.htm

I'm well over 50. I don't take any medications. Never have! Well, ok, I took low dosed birth control pills when in my 30's. I rarely go to a dr. Last time was when I broke my ankle a few summers ago. Dr was very surprised, when asking about my medical history, that I was on no medication. I really didn't know I was that unusual!

Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 PM

37,100 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The number of people taking these drugs is MUCH greater than the number who actually need them for genetic reasons.

You really are not aware of this??
They are not prescribed for "genetic reasons". They are prescribed based on risk factors, of which one is an abnormal cholesterol profile.

You really do not understand the entire cholesterol issue, do you?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Statins nearly destroyed my life. And 20 yrs later I'm still waiting to have that heart attack they said was imminent.
Every person is different!

Old 07-01-2018, 06:48 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Every person is different!
We know. But how can we tell which is which and who is whom? That's really the basis of all this back-and-forth on cholesterol<--> heart attacks / statins <--> scam talkology

Cholesterol matters.... but alas, only in those for whom it matters and not the others. And whom are they? Not even your doctor or "the latest study" can really know. Nor can the person who "eats right" or gets exercise . Although, of course those factors matter too. But only in those specimens in whom they matter and not for the others.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
If I didn't take my statin and had a stroke like my grandparents, I'd be kicking myself for not taking the damn pill. I'd be thinking, now why didn't I just take a pill and prevent this from happening??

I'm glad to have it.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:10 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This is from your bottom link:

<What You Can Do

Healthy foods and exercise can cut your LDL levels. Eat foods low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and simple carbs. (Simple carbs include foods like sugar, white bread, and white crackers.) You can lower your numbers even more if you add fiber and plant sterols (margarine or nuts) to your diet.>

Margarine??? Is this really recommended now?

Margarine is not even remotely healthy. It's oil and a bunch of additives. Oil is not good for arteries. Oil is a waste product and through clever marketing, they make people believe it's liquid gold and good for you. Avoid it like the plague it is.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:21 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I take Colestid for some ibs issues (off label), but it’s actually a very old cholesterol medicine. It works by absorbing bile acids. I have no idea how effective it is compared to statins though.
If you can stand the taste of eating sand, Colestid can be pretty effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness