Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I have opted out of treating my cholesterol at all. I think my cholesterol is genetic. But I do not see it as a problem as long as other things are taken care of.

For instance I have low blood pressure. I also take vitamins D and K2 to cut down on calcification and clots. I also keep my magnesium high.

Fact: low cholesterol levels are associated with greater risk of death from all causes. You need cholesterol for a multitude of things. Fact, your cholesterol status cannot predict if you will or won't have a heart attack.

I heard an alternate theory of heart disease that really resonated with me. Basically it says that there are these various substances that make your heart strong(cardio tonics). Including magnesium and Coq10. Your body can make these substances but they make it out of -- cholesterol. When your heart isn't getting the nutrients it needs -- like any muscle that isn't -- cells start to die and are sloughed off. This is what causes blockages in and around the heart. Heart attacks though are due to a build up of lactic acid -- because your heart is the only muscle that cannot rest. IF you keep your heart strong and don't stress it, you won't suffer a heart attack. It seems particularly right in light of "stress" heart attacks that happened this year, Carrie Fisher and Allan Thick.

And if you were to ask 96% of the public they would tell you this was wrong. But it's 100% true.

THAT is why the business of statins is so successful.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Exercise and good diet will prevent or forestall many health issues
And that's why I exercise and have a good diet. My chances of getting heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure are near zero. I have greatly reduced my chances of getting certain cancers. I am less likely to need knee and/or hip replacements. There's probably plenty more on the list.

Yes, anyone can get a brain tumor or some other horrible random disease. But that's not the point. If everyone walked 20-minutes a day, had a good diet, and was the correct weight for their height, they would have to close half the hospitals and doctor offices.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:24 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I have opted out of treating my cholesterol at all. I think my cholesterol is genetic. But I do not see it as a problem as long as other things are taken care of.

For instance I have low blood pressure. I also take vitamins D and K2 to cut down on calcification and clots. I also keep my magnesium high.

Fact: low cholesterol levels are associated with greater risk of death from all causes. You need cholesterol for a multitude of things. Fact, your cholesterol status cannot predict if you will or won't have a heart attack.

I heard an alternate theory of heart disease that really resonated with me. Basically it says that there are these various substances that make your heart strong(cardio tonics). Including magnesium and Coq10. Your body can make these substances but they make it out of -- cholesterol. When your heart isn't getting the nutrients it needs -- like any muscle that isn't -- cells start to die and are sloughed off. This is what causes blockages in and around the heart. Heart attacks though are due to a build up of lactic acid -- because your heart is the only muscle that cannot rest. IF you keep your heart strong and don't stress it, you won't suffer a heart attack. It seems particularly right in light of "stress" heart attacks that happened this year, Carrie Fisher and Allan Thick.
The circumstances around both Carrie Fisher's and Alan Thicke's deaths are a bit different than the chronic cardiac disease related deaths you describe here. Carrie Fisher apparently had a boatload of heroin and other drugs in her system when she died, and these drugs, especially in high quantities, can contribute to cardiac-related deaths (say, from an arrythymia that the heart is unable to recover from) even in people with otherwise healthy hearts.

Carrie Fisher had cocaine, other drugs in her system at time of death, says coroner - ABC News

And Alan Thicke apparently died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm, the weakening in the aorta where it "blew out" would most likely have been with Mr. Thicke all his life, and all the considerations to maintenance of cardiac health diet or exercise-wise woukd not have made it any different. He may have known about the aneurysm, in fact I think the following article mentions it, but other than surgery to strengthen the wall of the aorta, or correction of the aneurysm, there wouldn't have been much he could do about it.

Alan Thicke Was Warned About Health Months Before His Deadly Heart Attack

Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
And that's why I exercise and have a good diet. My chances of getting heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure are near zero. I have greatly reduced my chances of getting certain cancers. I am less likely to need knee and/or hip replacements. There's probably plenty more on the list.

Yes, anyone can get a brain tumor or some other horrible random disease. But that's not the point. If everyone walked 20-minutes a day, had a good diet, and was the correct weight for their height, they would have to close half the hospitals and doctor offices.
I heard a Harvard-educated MD, and she said the way to eliminate your risk factors for ALL major diseases:

1. Get your weight and diet under control
2. Stay active throughout the lifespan
3. Get sleep
4. Never go to a hospital, as the "cascade effect" has more risks than not getting treatment (as a rule, of course there are exceptions)

Obesity, sedentary lifestyle, chronic sleep deprivation and hospital-acquired illness / medical error are what you want to avoid to stay healthy.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I heard a Harvard-educated MD, and she said the way to eliminate your risk factors for ALL major diseases:

1. Get your weight and diet under control
2. Stay active throughout the lifespan
3. Get sleep
4. Never go to a hospital, as the "cascade effect" has more risks than not getting treatment (as a rule, of course there are exceptions)

Obesity, sedentary lifestyle, chronic sleep deprivation and hospital-acquired illness / medical error are what you want to avoid to stay healthy.

I've almost always done the above and for me it hasn't stopped: HBP, low thyroid, gallstones, blocked bile duct, RA, FM (gone now), hysterectomy, and premature infertility.

I'm not arguing that those things aren't good, but keep it in perspective.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Have you chosen not to treat your very high cholesterol with statins? If so, what supplements, if any, do you take to try to lower your cholesterol? Do you or others find it controversial that you have rejected statins? Did side effects of statins make you give up on taking statins?
If you can lower your LDL cholesterol and raise your HDL with diet and exercise then go for it but if after a certain period of time nothing changes then taking statins in low dosage maybe right for you. My husband takes 10mg of Lipitor generic as he has a history of heart disease in his family. Despite exercise he has not raised his HDL at all, statins won't raise HDL. I have a borderline high LDL; however, I have a very high HDL and therefore doctors are ok with my results so far. We have a neighbor who just had a mild heart attack and then bypass surgery because he refused to take statins. As to side effects, if one is giving you side effects another might not. My husband had no side effects with 10mg Lipitor.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've almost always done the above and for me it hasn't stopped: HBP, low thyroid, gallstones, blocked bile duct, RA, FM (gone now), hysterectomy, and premature infertility.

I'm not arguing that those things aren't good, but keep it in perspective.
Think of how much WORSE your health would be had you not done those things, perspective.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Think of how much WORSE your health would be had you not done those things, perspective.

Yep. I have watched the changes in regards to exercise (couldn't for awhile when I was hit by the RA and FM).

I had also done keto diet twice to lose weight (I've always been within normal, just not where I am comfortable), and my RA flared up HUGE both times.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The circumstances around both Carrie Fisher's and Alan Thicke's deaths are a bit different than the chronic cardiac disease related deaths you describe here. Carrie Fisher apparently had a boatload of heroin and other drugs in her system when she died, and these drugs, especially in high quantities, can contribute to cardiac-related deaths (say, from an arrythymia that the heart is unable to recover from) even in people with otherwise healthy hearts.

Carrie Fisher had cocaine, other drugs in her system at time of death, says coroner - ABC News

And Alan Thicke apparently died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm, the weakening in the aorta where it "blew out" would most likely have been with Mr. Thicke all his life, and all the considerations to maintenance of cardiac health diet or exercise-wise woukd not have made it any different. He may have known about the aneurysm, in fact I think the following article mentions it, but other than surgery to strengthen the wall of the aorta, or correction of the aneurysm, there wouldn't have been much he could do about it.

Alan Thicke Was Warned About Health Months Before His Deadly Heart Attack

If Alan Thicke knew about the aorta, which you can find out about if you have those scans that are often done at churches and such (I think one company is called LifeScan) and something can be done and yes, it is surgery. Unfortunately, most people don't know about it and doctors don't routinely scan for it nor does insurance pay for it. My husband and I got one done years ago when a coworker of my husband had one done at his church (wife talked him into it) and it turned out he had an aneurysm in his stomach area that would have burst soon and killed him. They sent him with the scans right away to his doctor and he was scheduled immediately for surgery. Saved his life. Best $130 he spent. This was the same thing that killed John Ritter.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Genetically-induced and/or genetically predisposed high cholesterol does not really respond enough to good diet and exercise. It remains high.

So then the dilemma is to take statins or not.
Right...so that decision could be based on what other conditions you have that put you at risk in terms of genetics (parents/grandparents), hypertension, diabetes, or whatever. Maybe if high cholesterol is the only risk factor and you have things in your favor like low inflammatory indexes, statins could be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness