Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,230,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've taken opioids on two occasions, for hip replacement mess and then the staph infection recently in knee...and I never worried about the ADDICTION issue, it was all the horrific side effects and toxins going into my body. I could not wait to get off them. I have a really problem knee and don't want to do knee replacement for reasons of a lot of fear and also to have to take strong pain meds again.

I truly believe these strong pain meds do a job on our brains. And not make us smarter.
they might do a "job on our brains"....whether it makes you smarter or not... matters not to someone whose only relief from extreme pain is the opioids.
Do you think you could have stood the pain when you had your hip done without them?
Doesn't it seem reasonable that one would only take them(as a patient) only when they're needed. Once the bulk of the pain from the OP has eased, they can be discontinued.
3 weeks on dilaudid does not an addict make...just a more comfortable recovery from a major and painful procedure.

These powerful pain killers should not be denied someone who really needs them.
Many patients are now suffering because of it....THEY are the ones paying the price for the so called opioid crisis....the honest ones truly in need......not the addict who really doesn't care what the drug is as long as they can get off, and ease their craving.

It's sad that you had to suffer "horrific side effects"...the hospital could have done a better job finding a pain killer that worked better for you...some people really react to the stronger drugs.
The toxins can be flushed from your system when the pain subsides and they're no longer needed...
There's probably as many toxins in the processed foods some people eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,230,598 times
from a family physician in Canada...
"Overall, alcohol is still a bigger problem, both in terms of hospitalizations, health risks and deaths than opiates and other drugs combined".

Yes, there's an opioid crisis. But alcohol kills more people | CBC Radio

Maybe we should take away alcohol before we punish the poor patients in pain by taking away opioids.....course we never would...judge likes a drink after a hard day in court.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,271,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
"Overall, alcohol is still a bigger problem, both in terms of hospitalizations, health risks and deaths than opiates and other drugs combined".

Maybe we should take away alcohol before we punish the poor patients in pain by taking away opioids.....course we never would...judge likes a drink after a hard day in court.
Alcohol tends to kill more slowly and older people so it's not so dramatic as opioid overdoses - except of course for the car accidents alcohol causes.

News does seem to be less objective these days but even with fewer deaths than alcohol clearly we need to rethink how opioids are prescribed and used.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,644,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

I'm not condoning alcohol but I did my share and a glass of wine is what I enjoyed..But I've quit the wine and alcohol but a friend in a lot of OA and muscle pain drinks a glass of wine or two about every day to ease her pain. She would not take opioids and can't take ibuprofen anymore. I feel a glass or two of wine is far less toxic than opioids -- that grape is a miracle in many ways. If I were to go back to a glass of wine it would be an organic wine. My father drank too much all his life, but never really complained about pain, lived to 95+. He didn't know when to stop drinking a lot of the times.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,219,916 times
Quote:
I'm not condoning alcohol but I did my share and a glass of wine is what I enjoyed..But I've quit the wine and alcohol but a friend in a lot of OA and muscle pain drinks a glass of wine or two about every day to ease her pain. She would not take opioids and can't take ibuprofen anymore. I feel a glass or two of wine is far less toxic than opioids -- that grape is a miracle in many ways. If I were to go back to a glass of wine it would be an organic wine. My father drank too much all his life, but never really complained about pain, lived to 95+. He didn't know when to stop drinking a lot of the times.
So they should serve drinks or grapes to surg, long term pain, people in accidents or cancer patients???? Outrageous.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
So they should serve drinks or grapes to surg, long term pain, people in accidents or cancer patients???? Outrageous.
No I'm not saying that, stop twisting my words. I never said anything to that effect. And I was talking to the poster mentioning the alcohol issue.

I don't believe the doctors are taking away the strong opioids and morphine etc. from patients who really need them. Cancer patients, major surgery and accidents, etc.

I believe IF I were to go for a knee replacement, the doctor would prescribe opioids to get me thru the initial post op process.

There are MANY degrees of pain and issues and some of us learn to manage. I live with a fair amount of pain but I am OK as I can't get into a no pain body. I had two incidents in my aging life where I felt a great no pain experience, one with the first dose of LDN and the other with the first dose of Dylantin...and then no more...so I stopped those drugs.

And yes just maybe the years of my "grape" supplement has kept my pain manageable. I don't know how I'd feel without it and not going to try to find out. Everything I read it's about circulation circulation circulation.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
No I'm not saying that, stop twisting my words. I never said anything to that effect.

I don't believe the doctors are taking away the strong opioids and morphine etc. from patients who really need them. Cancer patients, major surgery and accidents, etc.

I believe IF I were to go for a knee replacement, the doctor would prescribe opioids to get me thru the initial post op process.

There are MANY degrees of pain and issues and some of us learn to manage. I live with a fair amount of pain but I am OK as I can't get into a no pain body. I had two incidents in my aging life where I felt a great no pain experience, one with the first dose of LDN and the other with the first dose of Dylantin...and then no more...so I stopped those drugs.

And yes just maybe the years of my "grape" supplement has kept my pain manageable. I don't know how I'd feel without it and not going to try to find out. Everything I read it's about circulation circulation circulation.
I'm not twisting anything. You didn't have to say it. Everyone here isn't stupid. You refer to people in your life from 100 years ago. Life, science and medicine is much different since then

Ummm yes that's what post-op patients get. And?

And "some of us learn to manage" is a bloody judgment against others...

Dylantin is an anti convulsant. You stopped that? Huh?

You do understand someone at 80, you, will feel the effects of meds differently than most people. That's great you think grapes have saved your life but reserve your judgement to others' plights. I hope you never need serious intervention at your late age.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not twisting anything. You didn't have to say it. Everyone here isn't stupid. You refer to people in your life from 100 years ago. Life, science and medicine is much different since then

Ummm yes that's what post-op patients get. And?

And "some of us learn to manage" is a bloody judgment against others...

Dylantin is an anti convulsant. You stopped that? Huh?

You do understand someone at 80, you, will feel the effects of meds differently than most people. That's great you think grapes have saved your life but reserve your judgement to others' plights. I hope you never need serious intervention at your late age.
I'm not judging you or anyone else. I speak from own experiences in life and what all the news out there on the pain med addictions. I have a loved one who spent 13 months in a rehab from pain med abuse. So you have no idea where I come from...only what you have read here.

Dylantin is used for other stuff...as are many meds. I just didn't pick some up and start to take it. Jack Dryfuss of the Dryfuss Fund used it early for some health issues. Read up about it...I did so with the help of a doc tried it...worked ONE DAY.

And it's truly amazing the jumping to conclusions so many jump to.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not judging you or anyone else. I speak from own experiences in life and what all the news out there on the pain med addictions. I have a loved one who spent 13 months in a rehab from pain med abuse. So you have no idea where I come from...only what you have read here.

Dylantin is used for other stuff...as are many meds. I just didn't pick some up and start to take it. Jack Dryfuss of the Dryfuss Fund used it early for some health issues. Read up about it...I did so with the help of a doc tried it...worked ONE DAY.

And it's truly amazing the jumping to conclusions so many jump to.
How come they didn't just "learn to manage"?

99.9% of people who are given pain meds don't end up in rehab.

Its "Dilantin". It's also "Dreyfus" and almost virtually impossible to research. Not to mention ancient.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,114,608 times
Quote:
How come they didn't just "learn to manage"?

99.9% of people who are given pain meds don't end up in rehab.

Its "Dilantin". It's also "Dreyfus" and almost virtually impossible to research. Not to mention ancient.
i can't remember when, maybe early 90s, late 80s?, dilantin (phenytoin) was being touted by some folks as the new cure all/miracle drug that pharma wanted to keep secret from everyone. i wonder if someone was caught up in that mania??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness