Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Why some people don't get the flu - Health - Cold and flu | NBC News

I have not had the flu in decades nor do I take any preventive measures; at least not on purpose. Something else must be going on than just pure luck, as this article states. Impossible to practice avoidance either. Held very young special needs kids in my arms who were sneezing and coughing right in my face. Stayed with my own adult kids and grandson who had the flu. Picked up their tissues and rode in the car with them. Slept in the same bed as my husband when he had the flu. Not close enough contact with people who have the flu? Forget just being out in public. My husband has gotten the flu shot every year since he turned 65, but sometimes he still gets the flu. It makes him mad that despite his flu shot he still gets it when I don't get the shot and don't catch the flu, not even FROM HIM.

The #1 reason that adults don't get their flu shots? "I don't get the flu". No, it is only me and Jamin but probably millions of us. You would think that science would want to find out WHY NOT? No, Big Pharms don't want to know. They would sell less vaccines.
That article is just a hypothesis not any actual data on why people get the flu or not.
I would like to see the people who say they are immune to getting the flu because they take care of themselves go into a room with people suffering from the flu and touch everything. I seriously doubt that amazing immunity would be able to hold up.
I am one of those people who has a very healthy diet and I exercise and take great care of myself. I have gone years without getting a flu shot and not gotten sick. But I work at a winery and I touch glassware and I work closely with quite a few other people so in the past 10 years I have opted for the flu shot. Last year I did not get the flu shot and I ended up on my ass for 2 weeks in a miserable fevered, achey state.

Its pretty simple, no one has to get the flu shot. If you are opposed to them don't get one. But please don't try and blow smoke about how you have never gotten a shot or the flu. That is pure luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:45 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Forgot to mention that zinc is good for the immune system.

Hope you get well soon, gentlearts!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its pretty simple, no one has to get the flu shot. If you are opposed to them don't get one. But please don't try and blow smoke about how you have never gotten a shot or the flu. That is pure luck.
I agree, it's the equivalent of "my grandmother smoked cigars and drank a fifth of whiskey every day and lived to 100". Which doesn't take into consideration the thousands of grandmothers who smoke and drink whiskey every day and die of cancer/liver disease/whatever at the age of 60.

There's a product they're pushing on the radio here that contains powdered fruits and veggies in a pill. All the ads have these testimonials from people with various diseases who "miraculously" got better after starting on the pill. What they don't have are testimonials from the large number of pill takers who fell for the ads' claims, who didn't get better or got worse, and wasted their money on quackery.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Although I worked 40some yrs and had Plenty of stress and retired at 65 or so, and I'm now 79, I never got the flu and Never took a vaccine. Took the powerful antioxidant starting at age 57, and have lived in a nice climate for 50 yrs,,,no harsh weather and learned NOT to push myself nuts on doing so much and never stopping...this breaks one down. I was born in the East and went back for many years when parents were still alive, and I remember the hot, cold changes the body went thru. I think these are all factors. Before Grape Seed came into view, I took Vit C years before.

One of the members say they work in a winery so are exposed to GRAPES that wonderful antioxidant, would sure be helpful against the flu. Read up on the wonders of the Grape.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-05-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Although I worked 40some yrs and had Plenty of stress and retired at 65 or so, and I'm now 79, I never got the flu and Never took a vaccine. Took the powerful antioxidant starting at age 57, and have lived in a nice climate for 50 yrs,,,no harsh weather and learned NOT to push myself nuts on doing so much and never stopping...this breaks one down. I was born in the East and went back for many years when parents were still alive, and I remember the hot, cold changes the body went thru. I think these are all factors.

One of the members say they work in a winery so are exposed to GRAPES that wonderful antioxidant, would sure be helpful against the flu. Read up on the wonders of the Grape.
Yeah, grapes and wine are not going to stop the flu virus.

You are a fine specimen indeed. You seem to have all the answers - for yourself.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yeah, grapes and wine are not going to stop the flu virus.

You are a fine specimen indeed. You seem to have all the answers - for yourself.
I don't have ALL the answers but I know what's kept me healthy (Immune System) for 22+ yrs...the Grapes (Seeds). I do everything I can to stay clear of pharma drugs. I think that's pretty well known here...

Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Although I worked 40some yrs and had Plenty of stress and retired at 65 or so, and I'm now 79, I never got the flu and Never took a vaccine. Took the powerful antioxidant starting at age 57, and have lived in a nice climate for 50 yrs,,,no harsh weather and learned NOT to push myself nuts on doing so much and never stopping...this breaks one down. I was born in the East and went back for many years when parents were still alive, and I remember the hot, cold changes the body went thru. I think these are all factors.

You most likely just have good genetics and all that other stuff you are doing isn't related at all. Glad it works for you though.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'm 70 and some years ago I had pneumonia. Doctors at the time told me to get annual flu shots every year from then on for the rest of my life to reduce the probability that I'd get the flu. I've also gotten a couple of varieties of bacterial pneumonia vaccine to reduce the chances I'll get pneumonia again. Note the reduce the probability -- having a flu shot doesn't mean the probability is zero (which is true of most vaccinations). You still need to watch what you're touching, wash your hands, etc. I ride the train every day to work and if someone near me starts sniffling or coughing, I move immediately; I'm careful about touching my face and surfaces, and use a hand sanitizer when I get off the train.

It's absolutely not true that science or "big pharma" is uninterested in researching why some people are laid low by the flu, others have a mild case, and some never get it. See e.g.:

Why some people don't get the flu - Health - Cold and flu | NBC News
My husband (68) had pneumonia last June and went to an Urgent Care Center. Extreme flu like systems that did not go away. Pain breathing. They did a Chest Xray and he was given a 5 day script. He has had both his pneumonia vaccinations, and yearly flu shot, and told the doctor that. "These vaccines don't always work", the doctor told him. I did not catch anything from him, and didn't expect to.

Trains? Can you get any closer contact than living with a person sharing a bed and even sharing plates of food? I certainly don't wear a mask or sanitize my hands around my own spouse. I never worry about it for myself. Maybe his immune response (with vaccinations) has waned, but apparently mine has not without vaccines. We are the same age so you cannot paint that broad of a brush.

Constantly worrying about getting sick (stress), WILL make you sick. Americans are a stressed out society. No wonder we are so sick and take so many pills. Eat right and RELAX.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-05-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Hope you are feeling better gentlearts!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You most likely just have good genetics and all that other stuff you are doing isn't related at all. Glad it works for you though.
Oh I do have pretty good genes, parents lived into early and mid 90's. Mom got on Pycnogenol when I found how great it was doing for me and she was 86 as I think back, and she didn't get anymore colds, no more cold sores and her "old" voice became so much clearer. It was amazing. This OPC were cleaning her blood. Dad drank a lot so maybe the booze kept him healthy, so to speak, he never seemed to be sick. They lived in the harsh weather of the East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness