Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,713,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
PUSHING drugs is a bit much. Offering meds for potential side effects from pain meds isn't "pushing" anything.

Curious why you even go to the doctor or especially the hospital if you have every remedy known to man?

I had heart surgery. Ibuprofen didn't work. I assure you.
Why do I go to doctors and hospitals?

When my neighbor called 911, the paramedics took me to an ER. I was admitted and spent 5 days there with a knee infection that was NOT FOUND for 2.5 months. That's WHY I went to the hospital...otherwise I avoid them with a passion. I have a LONG story here but I don't think you read any of it. Figures...many just attack or question others and don't know a portion of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I've very glad I don't live in the US when I was first there in 2000 I saw these constant ads telling me I was depressed and needed pills.Drug ads are banned in Australia so it was very strange.
From what I've heard, NZ and US run TV drug ads. I got rid of cable so at least I'm missing all the tv propaganda.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,386,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I went on Prozac in 1998 and it really helped me through a very dark period. I went off 2 years later. I went back on however when my PMS would send me into a downward spiral that kept me in a very dark place for days on end. I stayed on it for about 5 years and decided I no longer wanted to take it. Two years later I went on Celexa for the exact same reason, my PMS.
I went off that but now I am on Elavil but not for depression. Its for my peripheral neuropathy. It doesn't really work though.
Try Cymbalta---its helped me with both depression and neuropathy.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,808,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Try Cymbalta---its helped me with both depression and neuropathy.
I will ask my doctor about it. Not looking forward to once again waiting out the side effects of these types of drugs. But if it works on my neuropathy pain I am all in.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,548,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I couldn't agree more with you.

I dreamt several times that I was an amagquira(shaman/healer) in the tribe I'm partly from,years later I started having visions etc which is normal in the tribe I'm from,signs of being a healer, but in the west I was immediately put on meds that absolutely destroyed me.I won't even list all the side effects I've had.
So why didn't the shaman just cure you or tell you - there's no problem? Why bother with Western medicine?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have been depressed on and off since childhood, and Prozac has helped me to feel normal again with almost no side effects. I only wish that I hadn't waited so long to try it. Like many people, I was skeptical of antidepressants, frightened by some of the scare stories in the media and didn't want to go around feeling numb or drugged. But it hasn't been like that at all.

The only thing that happened was that my life changed for the better, the black cloud hanging over my head finally lifted, and I finally like myself again. I'm sorry that others have had bad experiences. I suspect that ADs are overprescribed by GPs who are not really qualified to dispense them to patients who don't really need them, but I also believe that for those who do need them, they can be life-changing.

A previous poster mentioned that many depressed adults have histories of abuse or neglect or that they have a genetic predisposition. That was true of me (except that the abuse was psychological and not sexual). Early childhood trauma can actually change the brain chemistry permanently. Prozac reverses this and restores normal brain function.

I would urge anyone who thinks they might be a candidate for antidepressants not to listen to the naysayers and at least give them a fair trial. It's important, though, to get them from a medical professional, ideally a psychiatrist, who has experience prescribing psychiatric drugs. It is also important to realize that not every AD works the same for everyone, so you might have to try several before you find the one that works best for you. And the effects can take as long as six weeks to kick in.

Prozac didn't do a thing for me when I was hit with clinical depression post menopause...but a friend a little younger than me has taken it for years. This drug is one that contains fluoride substances. I've been in the anti Fl battle for years...just mentioning that...

Everyone's chemistry is there own and what works for one may do NOTHING for another. Sluggish Thyroid was my issue.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 632,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was given Prozac in 1991 when this all started for me, it was post menopause, and the drug did NOTHING. So I got off it pretty fast.

Took Zoloft for a while and that helped but not the answer.

I suspected thryoid for years but the lab numbers ruled the MD's decisions. Sadly today's MODERN docs go by numbers and "forget the symptoms"...so many "smart" older doctors who worked before the labs even came into our existence.
What do you take for your thyroid that helps with depression?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
What do you take for your thyroid that helps with depression?
After 10 yrs of NOTHING from endos and a couple gp's, my Osteopathic doctor called in for Armour and in 4 days that LONG depression lifted. Talk about a miracle. Took so many A/D's and it was thyroid....this D.O. was rare to have in my life...the old school doctor, didn't even do thyroid labs. He knew. To get Armour and the like, one needs to go to other than conventional MD's who push synthroid...and live by the Numbers.

Naturopaths and integrative MD's work with "natural" support and there is a Vast difference in the two classes. The synthetics vs desiccated thyroid support.

I've been taking "natural" forms since 2002 and currently taking Naturethroid as Armour prices have gone too high for me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-08-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 AM

1,225 posts, read 632,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
After 10 yrs of NOTHING from endos and a couple gp's, my Osteopathic doctor called in for Armour and in 4 days that LONG depression lifted. Talk about a miracle. Took so many A/D's and it was thyroid....this D.O. was rare to have in my life...the old school doctor, didn't even do thyroid labs. He knew. To get Armour and the like, one needs to go to other than conventional MD's who push synthroid...

Naturopaths and integrative MD's work with "natural" support and there is a Vast difference in the two classes. The synthetics vs desiccated thyroid support.

I've been taking "natural" forms since 2002 and currently taking Naturethroid as Armour prices have gone too high for me.
Are you taking something with out a prescription?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Are you taking something with out a prescription?
No, but there is a company called Nutri Meds and they sell thyroid and adrenal supps but I was fortunate to have the doc in my life when I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness