Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm not ready to respond individually to some comments at this time, but let me simplify. Since none of you were in the room, and I didn't write a detailed book to make you feel like you were there....

If someone is standing outside the bathroom door wide open 6' away from my Mom, please tell me how much of life saving time would be saved if the same person was standing outside the door with it cracked open and holding the door ready to swing it open the same 6' away. I'll reiterate one point, in that if 100 people were in the room, NO ONE could see in the bathroom nor could my Mom see anyone other who was right there at the door. Her discomfort and uneasiness was simply having the door open.
As a woman, I can tell you that it doesn't matter to me if 1 person or 150 people are in a room. When I use the bathroom, I want complete privacy. I don't want family members in the room. Period. When I'm ill, I want even more privacy unless I need help and that's what medical professionals are for in a hospital setting. She was probably extra uncomfortable with the door open because her family was standing there!

Remember, woman do not stand in a crowd to urinate like men do at urinals. My husband says some guys are chatty at them for some weird reason. Most women don't chat in the bathroom unless you're really good friends and need toilet paper because your stall is out. Using the bathroom is very private for women compared to men.

You need to cut the defensiveness. That is NOT going to help your mom at all. She's sick. She's very sick. She is probably trying to hold on to what little dignity she has left. She's stressed up the wahzoo between her husband who has dementia, cancer, a UTI, family members who won't let her pee in private, being sick, being stuck in a hospital, etc.

I feel for her. Being sick sucks. Being hospitalized because your sick royally sucks. You're not in control of your life. You're at the mercy of staff, laws, regulations, policies, family, medications, etc. No one enjoys this. Think of her instead of everyone else. This is 100% about her not you, your dad, a nurse, a homeless guy out on Main Street....this is all about how you all can make her the most comfortable and give her privacy.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
As a woman, I can tell you that it doesn't matter to me if 1 person or 150 people are in a room. When I use the bathroom, I want complete privacy. I don't want family members in the room. Period. When I'm ill, I want even more privacy unless I need help and that's what medical professionals are for in a hospital setting. She was probably extra uncomfortable with the door open because her family was standing there!

Remember, woman do not stand in a crowd to urinate like men do at urinals. My husband says some guys are chatty at them for some weird reason. Most women don't chat in the bathroom unless you're really good friends and need toilet paper because your stall is out. Using the bathroom is very private for women compared to men.

You need to cut the defensiveness. That is NOT going to help your mom at all. She's sick. She's very sick. She is probably trying to hold on to what little dignity she has left. She's stressed up the wahzoo between her husband who has dementia, cancer, a UTI, family members who won't let her pee in private, being sick, being stuck in a hospital, etc.

I feel for her. Being sick sucks. Being hospitalized because your sick royally sucks. You're not in control of your life. You're at the mercy of staff, laws, regulations, policies, family, medications, etc. No one enjoys this. Think of her instead of everyone else. This is 100% about her not you, your dad, a nurse, a homeless guy out on Main Street....this is all about how you all can make her the most comfortable and give her privacy.
I'm tired and am not willing to "defend" myself against people on the internet living with typed words who don't know me or my mother or the particular situation of my OP. I've read enough to know I never should have started this thread in the first place due to the gross misunderstanding of the situation as viewed from the eyes of others through their computer screens and my limited explanations.

I could say "I get it" and will probably get backlash for saying that. Thanks for the responses.

Please consider this thread closed.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
I'm not ready to respond individually to some comments at this time, but let me simplify. Since none of you were in the room, and I didn't write a detailed book to make you feel like you were there....

If someone is standing outside the bathroom door wide open 6' away from my Mom, please tell me how much of life saving time would be saved if the same person was standing outside the door with it cracked open and holding the door ready to swing it open the same 6' away. I'll reiterate one point, in that if 100 people were in the room, NO ONE could see in the bathroom nor could my Mom see anyone other who was right there at the door. Her discomfort and uneasiness was simply having the door open.
Asked and answered. (also your mother and father are not unique in any way, sorry - nobody needs to have "been there")

I already told you it would take all of three seconds for your mother to slip off the toilet and break her kneecap or worse.

And NOBODY can make it past a 90% closed door in time.

SIX FEET AWAY?

AND CATCH HER DEAD WEIGHT IN TIME? AND NOT INJURE HER IN THE PROCESS, TOO?

I dare you to try that little experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Whoa.
WRONG.
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Do you have any idea how many of these people fall off the toilet?
I can't even count.
^^^ This is an actual EMERGENCY ROOM DOCTOR.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-17-2017 at 04:09 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 04:53 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:

Hmmm, for a lot of women it's not so much the visual, it's that other people can hear that is embarrassing and the reason that a lot of people turn on a faucet while going in a public place whenever possible.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:19 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
This thread has run its course. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness