Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:43 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times

Advertisements

any good / bad experiences with this medication. I will be using it for nerve pain, but I am skeptical in hearing the horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 08:55 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
If you can handle the side effects it is a great medication for nerve pain. I cannot take it, the side effects are very severe for me. My cousin takes it and has had relatively mild side effects and it works great for her.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
It made me sleepy the first two weeks. Other than that, it was fine. If you stop taking it after you've taken it a long time, you may need to taper the dose rather than stopping suddenly.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I've taken it for years with almost no side effects except for reduced pain.

Sometimes I feel dizzy if I lay my head back and certain way (so I just don't do that!) and lately I've been getting sleepy in church, but that's a recent development and there has been no change in dosage, so that may just be old age.

My doc says one reason people have such troubles with it is because they start out at too high a dosage. He started me at the lowest (50 mg?) and upped it a little at a time with a few months in between to adjust. I had no problems. Oh, and I settled at 100 mg....went all the way up to 150 at one time but decided it wasn't helping any more than 100, so went back down. So, taking the lowest dose needed for relief may be another factor in not having bad side effects.

Of course, not everyone's body chemistry is the same and I suppose there could be some people for whom it just will not work. But if you try it, start low.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've taken it for years with almost no side effects except for reduced pain.

Sometimes I feel dizzy if I lay my head back and certain way (so I just don't do that!) and lately I've been getting sleepy in church, but that's a recent development and there has been no change in dosage, so that may just be old age.

My doc says one reason people have such troubles with it is because they start out at too high a dosage. He started me at the lowest (50 mg?) and upped it a little at a time with a few months in between to adjust. I had no problems. Oh, and I settled at 100 mg....went all the way up to 150 at one time but decided it wasn't helping any more than 100, so went back down. So, taking the lowest dose needed for relief may be another factor in not having bad side effects.

Of course, not everyone's body chemistry is the same and I suppose there could be some people for whom it just will not work. But if you try it, start low.
I have tried it two separate times, both starting with low doses. It made me so dizzy I had a hard time walking. And this was when I took it the night before. I don't know why it affected me this way, I would like to be able to take it because it did help.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
A friend with 30 yrs of neuropathy (ideopathic mostly in feet) had taken it for years and her major S/E were nausea and dizzyness...she's off it now and getting relief with grape seed extract for over 5 yrs of use. She would NOT be without it. She so believed the MD's..and basically still does but her brain is more awake with other options. Good luck with it and you'll see how your body reacts.

On my friend, we would see her at the bridge table put her head down and feel like she was going to pass out.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A friend with 30 yrs of neuropathy (ideopathic mostly in feet) had taken it for years and her major S/E were nausea and dizzyness...she's off it now and getting relief with grape seed extract for over 5 yrs of use. She would NOT be without it. She so believed the MD's..and basically still does but her brain is more awake with other options. Good luck with it and you'll see how your body reacts.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I take grape seed extract and it is not doing squat for my PN.
Do you have a financial interest in this stuff?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I take grape seed extract and it is not doing squat for my PN.
Do you have a financial interest in this stuff?
And you have been taking it a short time, my friend is in her 5th year, still has some pain but NOT taking the drugs with all the side effects..... It's true probably best you don't take it, it's not a real drug that can work like pharma drugs can. Even they can be slow working. For me grape seed ex and it's relative Pycnogenol got rid of allergy issues in a very short time. Sounds like it's making you so angry, why bother with it?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Hubby used it after a hernia surgery, where they sewed the mesh through a nerve. It really deadened the nerve, and only once in a while does it "flair" up now...usually for a very short time.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:51 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
I am concerned for addiction withdrawal , and any physiological side effects. I suffer from pinched nerves and muscle soreness. I have been offered cortisol injections or the medication. I have heard good things about the cortisol, but cant see getting injections 5 times a year. I am indecisive about what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness