Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times

Advertisements

2 weeks ago I was sick with bronchtiis and an ear infection. It was horrible and I had to take antibiotics, steroids, ate little, and just stayed home. I'm recovering really well now, eating solid foods, taking my vitamin D and drinking fluids but I still feel depressed. I feel sad and anxious and upset. I feel like everything is tiring and pointless. I'm going to make an appointment with a psychologist, as my doctor recommended it. I've been sick before but never felt like this. I guess it'll take time but has anyone ever felt like this? Have any tips? I'd appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:16 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
It's pretty normal to feel depressed after being very sick or having surgery. Healing takes a lot more energy than you think and even if they tell you you're doing fine and can go back to whatever you like, your body can be telling you something else. Try not to worry too much about it and give yourself a little more time. If you don't begin to feel better, then you can pursue the psychologist, but maybe 2 weeks is just not long enough to be back to yourself, strength-wise.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:19 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
When you're ill, it drains you...your body is working so hard to "heal" you. Once you start feeling better physically, the depression should lift. Even some medications can make you feel this way.

Give it some time...your body will tell your mind when it feels better!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:26 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It's pretty normal to feel depressed after being very sick or having surgery. Healing takes a lot more energy than you think and even if they tell you you're doing fine and can go back to whatever you like, your body can be telling you something else. Try not to worry too much about it and give yourself a little more time. If you don't begin to feel better, then you can pursue the psychologist, but maybe 2 weeks is just not long enough to be back to yourself, strength-wise.
Yeah you're right! I thought I'd be over it by now but I guess I just need to ease up. I'll take your advice and wait another 2 weeks! Hopefully I'll feel better by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
When you're ill, it drains you...your body is working so hard to "heal" you. Once you start feeling better physically, the depression should lift. Even some medications can make you feel this way.

Give it some time...your body will tell your mind when it feels better!
Yeah you're right. I'm currently taking supplements and trying to rest. I feel better than I did 2 weeks ago but I'll just give it more time.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:16 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Remember to allow yourself to sleep and try and get restful, restorative, quality sleep. Being sick is depressing, I agree. I tend to fall into a depression when ill as well, I understand. It can suck the life out of you. Easing your way back in to life and also I find that counting your blessings helps as well. Be glad that you are over the bronchitis and are on the up and up. Be glad it was not something more serious or permanent. Maybe plan to go out and see a show, or have a dinner (with wine) and friends to lift your spirits. I think remembering to be thankful for your health is so important. Be glad it's not cancer or something that would seriously change your life permanently.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Battling illnesses takes a lot out of us. Vitamins and minerals get burned up faster and more extensively during those times. Make sure you're getting plenty of vitamins and minerals; at least double what you normally would have. It's been proven that a lack of some B-vitamins will lead to mental and mood setbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness