Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So I can assume our 300M population and growing is due to vaccines?
No, that's copulation.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Wonder how all the mothers and their babies "made it" before the flu vaccine was "invented"?

Lots of talk about autism and so much since more vaccines.
Since vaccines causing autism has been debunked you will have to look elsewhere for that cause. My grandmother lost her first husband and child to influenza. Children and the elderly are especially at risk for influenza that is why they are recommended to get the flu shot. I know, I know, you are elderly and your immune system is so strong you will never catch anything. We have heard that story before.
It is your choice to get a flu shot or not.
I did not get a flu shot while I was pregnant, it just seems like a bad idea. And that is what this thread is about is it not? Pregnant women getting flu shots?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No - it says they got a lower peak response subsequent to the vaccine. It does not say their immunity was LOWERED, which is something else entirely. There is no reduction from baseline reported in the study.
There is a reduction from baseline according to the study. And lower antibody levels means the immune system is not responding to pathogens. Which means that immunity is weaker.

Aside from the fact that the lead author of the published, peer-reviewed journal article is quoted directly as saying it weakens immunity in those who get the flu shot year to year.

Are you saying that the lead researcher and author is incorrect about her own study and published, peer-reviewed article?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Since vaccines causing autism has been debunked you will have to look elsewhere for that cause. My grandmother lost her first husband and child to influenza. Children and the elderly are especially at risk for influenza that is why they are recommended to get the flu shot. I know, I know, you are elderly and your immune system is so strong you will never catch anything. We have heard that story before.
It is your choice to get a flu shot or not.
I did not get a flu shot while I was pregnant, it just seems like a bad idea. And that is what this thread is about is it not? Pregnant women getting flu shots?
No.

It's about the fact that it was proved that getting the flu shot yearly will lower the immune system. The study demo happened to be pregnant women.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:09 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
My daughter did not get a flu or tdap vaccination with either of her pregnancies. It was not her OB or Midwife pushing vaccination, but her GP who she went to for strep which she caught from her toddler son. She was concerned about taking antibiotics while pregnant. Flu shot? Why in the world would you push a flu shot on a pregnant woman who has strep?

Her older son is up to date on all his vaccinations, including flu shot every year, yet he still catches it and brings it home to unvaccinated Mom and Dad. I suppose his flu shot isn't working because Mommy and Daddy, Auntie, Grandma, and those other kids in day care aren't getting theirs? Herd Immunity only works when everyone is vaccinated!

Thank you for all those flu vaccinated people around elderly Jamin and me from catching the flu, being hospitalized and dying. Herd Immunity by vaccinating!

Last edited by Jo48; 10-19-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 12:11 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is a reduction from baseline according to the study. And lower antibody levels means the immune system is not responding to pathogens. Which means that immunity is weaker.

Aside from the fact that the lead author of the published, peer-reviewed journal article is quoted directly as saying it weakens immunity in those who get the flu shot year to year.

Are you saying that the lead researcher and author is incorrect about her own study and published, peer-reviewed article?

Nope
There is NO REDUCTION FROM BASELINE. There is a REDUCTION IN PEAK OBTAINED. You don't seem to understand the difference. The plains? - didn't change in elevation one bit. The second mountain? - didn't get as high.

Yes it is a peer-reviewed study - I've got through the paywall access to the original article. If you do - read it - and be wary of paraphrasing, or using science daily paraphrasing.

Its the annual response to the vaccine that's been measured - that's not the response to the pathogens per se since that involves previously acquired immunity and other factors in addition.

I don't think you are familiar with understanding scientific journal papers - you're looking at the soundbite then paraphrasing - which continually leads to problems in the popular press and the internet forum community at large.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
No.

It's about the fact that it was proved that getting the flu shot yearly will lower the immune system. The study demo happened to be pregnant women.
Exactly, the study showed pregnant women. Not exactly the full demographic. The conclusion is that it may lower the immune system of pregnant women.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:18 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
The study said it lowers immune response in MOTHERS. That is women who get the flu shot in two consecutive years, have a LOWERED immunity.

I quote directly: "Women who get a flu shot YEAR AFTER YEAR will likely see their initial antibody response WEAKENED over time."

This means that women who get the flu shot year to year are WEAKENING their immune systems.
No, that is your interpretation of the study. Please provide a quote where the authors of the study state that repeated flu vaccination injures the immune system. A lower antibody response does not mean the immune system has been damaged.

You continue to ignore the part about babies still being protected.

Quote:
The title of the article is: Flu Shot's Impact on Pregnant Women and Their Babies: Repeated flu shots weaken your body's initial response--but does it affect the baby?

The lead author of the published, peer-reviewed study says, "Women who get a flu shot year after year will likely see their initial antibody response weakened over time."

Yet you insist that the article says it strengthens the immune system of mothers.Explain.
You continue to cut off the part of the quote that says, " ... these data suggest it does not meaningfully affect protection in their babies. This is of clinical importance because many people are vaccinated annually, as recommended."

A lower antibody response does not mean the immune system has been damaged.

Quote:
So I can assume our 300M population and growing is due to vaccines?
In a way, yes, because millions of us did not die in childhood from vaccine preventable diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I did not get a flu shot while I was pregnant, it just seems like a bad idea.
Pregnant women are at higher risk for complications from flu, including death. The vaccine also reduces the risk that newborns will get flu. That is the question the article in the OP was concerned about.

Quote:

No, a lower antibody level does not mean the immune system itself is weaker, only that the initial response to that particular vaccine is not as robust with repeated exposure. You cannot generalize the study findings to all "pathogens".

Quote:
No.

No, it shows that there are lower initial antibody levels after repeated exposure to flu vaccine. It does not say that repeated flu vaccine will "lower the immune system".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter did not get a flu or tdap vaccination with either of her pregnancies. It was not her OB or Midwife pushing vaccination, but her GP who she went to for strep which she caught from her toddler son. She was concerned about taking antibiotics while pregnant. Flu shot? Why in the world would you push a flu shot on a pregnant woman who has strep?

Her older son is up to date on all his vaccinations, including flu shot every year, yet he still catches it and brings it home to unvaccinated Mom and Dad. I suppose his flu shot isn't working because Mommy and Daddy, Auntie, Grandma, and those other kids in day care aren't getting theirs? Herd Immunity only works when everyone is vaccinated!

Thank you for all those flu vaccinated people around elderly Jamin and me from catching the flu, being hospitalized and dying. Herd Immunity by vaccinating!
Pregnant women are at increased risk of dying from flu, but don't let that fact bother you. After all, as far as you are concerned, when your time is up, it's up, right? Haven't you said as much? It does not matter to you that if a pregnant woman dies from flu often her baby dies, too?

Tdap during pregnancy is to prevent whooping cough in the newborn. Even if the baby survives that, and many do not, watching an infant struggle to breathe is an absolutely terrifying thing. I guess it would not bother you, though, even if it were your own grandchild.

If your grandson is catching flu every year he may have an immune deficiency. He most likely either was exposed before he got the vaccine, he was exposed before it had time to work, he got a strain not covered by the vaccine, or what he had was not flu at all. If he was vaccinated well before he truly got the flu from a strain in the vaccine it is highly probable that he was not as sick as he would have been if he had not had the vaccine at all.

Other people being vaccinated has nothing to do with whether the vaccine protects an individual. Yes, herd immunity works. The more who get vaccinated the less likely you are to even be exposed. You cannot catch the flu if you are not exposed to it.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:51 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Similar report from year before.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387051/

The problem with the study is that the vaccine didn't contain a match for the virus strain.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
The study said it lowers immune response in MOTHERS. That is women who get the flu shot in two consecutive years, have a LOWERED immunity.

I quote directly: "Women who get a flu shot YEAR AFTER YEAR will likely see their initial antibody response WEAKENED over time."

This means that women who get the flu shot year to year are WEAKENING their immune systems.
You quote directly???

Do you now????

So you didn't "intentionally cut off the rest of that sentence that you cherry picked out of this "article about a study" NOT an ACTUAL study...

Lets see the WHOLE sentence you "quoted directly"

"Women who get a flu shot year after year will likely see their initial antibody response weakened over time, but these data suggest it does not meaningfully affect protection in their babies.

Changes things up a little when you don't cut off the portion after the comma doesn't it???

As has already been pointed out to you, lowered "initial antibody response" does NOT equal "lowered or weakened immune systems"

You just made that part up....too bad the actual study doesn't support your agenda....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness