Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a 30 y/o female and I have been struggling with having low energy for most of my life. I went to the doctor to check on my thyroid levels and she says they're normal. I'm wondering if I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder and if I shouldn't get a light box to see if that might help. I did notice that my mood is better when the sun is out. But even during the summer time, there were days I would wake up tired, even after 8 hours of sleep. I have also been having a lot of nightmares and feeling stressed out and anxiety upon waking. I can't remember the last happy and peaceful dream I had. I got 8 hours of sleep last night and this morning, I wanted to pass out. I got a little bit of exercise this morning but it just made me feel weak and lethargic.

On Friday, I was in bed for 11 hours. I think I had 8 hours of sleep, then woke up in and out for 3 hours until my body just couldn't lay down anymore. Last year, all I did was go to work and then go home and lay in bed. I've been doing more stuff this year, going out more and doing more activities and seeing more people, and this has been helping my depression, but it's also stressing me out and tiring me out. I'm very much an introvert. I think I need at least 1-2 days a week where I do absolutely nothing and see nobody the entire day. My ideal Sunday would be to hole myself up in my room, reading a book or writing, and going out for a 30min. walk in the afternoon, come home, shower, eat dinner, and go to bed.

Can you think of anything that might help me? I told my doctor I was tired most of the time but she didn't offer any solutions to me. I've heard of vitamin D and 5HTP. I think it helped a little bit but I didn't notice a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM

137 posts, read 134,439 times
When I was suffering from that type of exhaustion and low energy, my doctor checked my iron and discovered that I was iron deficient. Has your doctor tested your iron level? Have you been tested for sleep apnea? That was another issue that was zapping my energy. I hope you get answers and feel better soon

Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 23,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Hello,
I'm a 30 y/o female and I have been struggling with having low energy for most of my life. I went to the doctor to check on my thyroid levels and she says they're normal. I'm wondering if I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder and if I shouldn't get a light box to see if that might help. I did notice that my mood is better when the sun is out. But even during the summer time, there were days I would wake up tired, even after 8 hours of sleep. I have also been having a lot of nightmares and feeling stressed out and anxiety upon waking. I can't remember the last happy and peaceful dream I had. I got 8 hours of sleep last night and this morning, I wanted to pass out. I got a little bit of exercise this morning but it just made me feel weak and lethargic.

On Friday, I was in bed for 11 hours. I think I had 8 hours of sleep, then woke up in and out for 3 hours until my body just couldn't lay down anymore. Last year, all I did was go to work and then go home and lay in bed. I've been doing more stuff this year, going out more and doing more activities and seeing more people, and this has been helping my depression, but it's also stressing me out and tiring me out. I'm very much an introvert. I think I need at least 1-2 days a week where I do absolutely nothing and see nobody the entire day. My ideal Sunday would be to hole myself up in my room, reading a book or writing, and going out for a 30min. walk in the afternoon, come home, shower, eat dinner, and go to bed.

Can you think of anything that might help me? I told my doctor I was tired most of the time but she didn't offer any solutions to me. I've heard of vitamin D and 5HTP. I think it helped a little bit but I didn't notice a huge difference.
My whole life I've been a sleeper. My parents noticed I would tire out way quicker than my siblings, relatives, and friends. I also noticed I have to nap during the day. If i run a few errands in the morning then I'm usually drained by noon. School was tough because by noon I was mentally drained and couldn't focus on classes due to my low energy. If I spend time with friends I usually tucker out way quicker than they do. I kept researching online to find answers since everything came back normal from my doctors visit. I read an article about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and at first I thought there was no way this could be a REAL thing. However, after reading about it and researching it I realized I fit every description. I spoke with my mother about it and she said when I was little she had mentioned to the doctor that I have low energy. Apparently the doctor told her that I probably have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I wish I had known years ago.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Mom had a similar problem. CBC revealed low RBC and slightly elevated WBC which responded to meds.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgypsy View Post
My whole life I've been a sleeper. My parents noticed I would tire out way quicker than my siblings, relatives, and friends. I also noticed I have to nap during the day. If i run a few errands in the morning then I'm usually drained by noon. School was tough because by noon I was mentally drained and couldn't focus on classes due to my low energy. If I spend time with friends I usually tucker out way quicker than they do. I kept researching online to find answers since everything came back normal from my doctors visit. I read an article about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and at first I thought there was no way this could be a REAL thing. However, after reading about it and researching it I realized I fit every description. I spoke with my mother about it and she said when I was little she had mentioned to the doctor that I have low energy. Apparently the doctor told her that I probably have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I wish I had known years ago.
Have you found anything that has helped? It does sound like something I might have. Also would like to add that I think caffeine makes it worse but it's been helping me with concentration and energy a bit. But also tires me out by the end of the day. It feels like it overworks my body to give it that energy.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Your whole life? Get a sleep study done. Apnea or another sleep disorder may be the problem.

What's your diet like and do you drink enough water every day?

Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Your whole life? Get a sleep study done. Apnea or another sleep disorder may be the problem.

What's your diet like and do you drink enough water every day?
I was wondering if I had sleep apnea but when I brought it up to my doctor she made me feel like I don't have it.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:29 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Hello,

When was the last time you have had all your blood work done? Iron and B could be low. If your B levels are fine taking any extra b will do zero for you.
The walking is good. Maybe you could incorporate more exercises in. Exercise is a great way to boost energy.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Sounds like you need a new doctor!

Old 10-23-2017, 10:51 AM

21 posts, read 23,439 times
Quote:
Have you found anything that has helped? It does sound like something I might have. Also would like to add that I think caffeine makes it worse but it's been helping me with concentration and energy a bit. But also tires me out by the end of the day. It feels like it overworks my body to give it that energy.
I went to several different doctors because I move so frequently for work. Everything including blood work and thyroid levels and you name it came back normal. As for changes, I did make drastic lifestyle changes that helped a little bit. I made sure I continued to exercise the way I always have but I changed my diet completely. I hate to say this but for me I tried the Whole 30 diet. Which is very similar to Paleo. It kept my energy stable and consistent throughout the day but oh man. It is difficult to do and very expensive. I didn't have highs and lows anymore. It allows coffee but no preservatives and no artificial flavorings. Personally for me coffee gives me that initial jolt but can make me super tired by the time it wears off. As a whole I think it is always going to be a struggle for me and something I just have to be more aware of/self aware. For example, I know I can't agree to plans that involve lunch, a walk or two, dinner, and then a movie. Usually just one of those things etc. Everyone is different and you have to do what's best for you and what fits you and & your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness